The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Far out, this flared up didn't it!

I choose not to use the word abo to describe an indigenous person. Comparing it to 'Australian > aussie' is misleading, because its not a national identity, its a racial descriptor. Not using it is a judgement I've made based on my not wanting to offend anyone. A friend I had in high school's nick name was 'Choco.' Just because he wanted us to call him that, doesn't mean I'd assume I could refer to all indigenous people as "choco's." The PC term for sensitive topics changes all the time. If scblack wants to insist on using the word, he's welcome to, but I wouldn't want to be walking down the street with him when he did.

al_

Likes Dirt
Yes, indig Aussies have experienced similar circumstances including removed children, massacre, dispossession, etc. For others here to act like I'm ignorant of that is pathetic but suits their precious outrage. The point is that Abo doesn't have a clear and obvious link to their experience. The simple and easy proof of that is that I use term without any value judgement attached to it like I used the term Aussie, Brit and until now, Paki. That was my point that the situation in the US and Australia and the words are completely different.

Anyway, we all know where we all stand and that we are different people who view the world differently. For the record I reckon al_ is very likely to be a top bloke IRL and I 100% respect and appreciate where his heart is in pretty much every matter that I've seen him discuss on this site. He's still and idiot though!! :)>
I am a community sector media strategist - I am fuelled by outrage!

Some of these issues matter though. For me, racial persecution is racial persecution - regardless of the grounds or scale. The numbers of aboriginal Australians impacted by white colonisation may not be as enormous as those affected by slavery in America, but the suffering is no less significant. There are deep scars across the community that continue to fester and we have a responsibility to be more aware of the dark chapters in Australia's history.

I took exception because these words are loaded and entrench prevailing racist tendencies. I also exclusively hear them used by out of touch middle-class white guys that have no contact with the aboriginal population.

I'm sure your heart is in the right place too J. Crawling out of this bleak phase in Australian politics will require us to focus more on similarities than differences, so I probably need to moderate myself. I write in PC doublespeak all day though, so enjoy a bit of hyperbole escapism.

scblack

Leucocholic
Look people, you need to apply a bit of CONTEXT to usage. So I used the abbreviation abo. Big farkin deal.

Do I go down the street abusing a guy calling him an abo? No.
Was this term used by me in any way shape or form as a racial slur? No.
Do I ever abuse aboriginal kids, people, footballers? No.
Have I had MANY conversations with an indigenous person with both him and I using the term abo (with zero offense)? Yes.

So my use of the term has offended the sensitivities of a few people. Get over it. I'm often not politically correct and if that leads people to jump up and down on their high-horse and be all faux morally outraged that's their problem.

I'll probably not using the term on Rotorburn again as I really do not wish to offend anyone. But the show of what Johnny terms "precious outrage" has been WAY out of proportion - get some context please people.

That's my last word on the topic.

al_

Likes Dirt
Look people, you need to apply a bit of CONTEXT to usage. So I used the abbreviation abo. Big farkin deal.
Your lack of understanding of the context surrounding that abbreviation is precisely the issue.

Incidently, my theory that you are an Andrew Bolt bot is strengthening. He just posted a rant on his blog which is eerily similar in themes and justifications to your 'argument' - ie: equally weak.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Why would Australian workers tolerate the imposition of a royal commission into unions and not e left a similar treatment of the corporate world? It seems to me that a similar style of corruption, stand over, and generally unpleasant practices exist in both arenas...
It is certainly blatant political bias. An inquiry into the building industry? Absolutely. Prosecute the corrupt union officials who take bribes, AND the corrupt business men who pay them.

Corruption is a serious problem, but there is no way it is more concentrated in people who vote Labor.

scblack

Leucocholic
Incidently, my theory that you are an Andrew Bolt bot is strengthening. He just posted a rant on his blog which is eerily similar in themes and justifications to your 'argument' - ie: equally weak.
Bahahaha.

I have never listened to Andrew Bolt, but he clearly has a HUGE psychological fix on you. Therefore I like him.

I'm off to check out Andrew Bolt. Fun times.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, so when we said "last comments" we were meant to move on from the subject and more so the arguing.

So let's give that a shot, eh?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It is certainly blatant political bias. An inquiry into the building industry? Absolutely. Prosecute the corrupt union officials who take bribes, AND the corrupt business men who pay them.

Corruption is a serious problem, but there is no way it is more concentrated in people who vote Labor.
The building industry royal commission is a truly unusual thing. It seemed to run in perpetuity and only exist to intimidate union members and officials. But at the same time didn't appear to be stamping out corruption amongst developers.....

If union members are silly enough to let their officials get away with misrepresenting them, then isn't that their problem?

al_

Likes Dirt
Bahahaha.

I have never listened to Andrew Bolt, but he clearly has a HUGE psychological fix on you. Therefore I like him.

I'm off to check out Andrew Bolt. Fun times.
You will enjoy it - he is very not-threatening to those with a catastrophically limited world view.

Does reinforce Jonny's call for better education standards though.

Your lack of understanding of the context surrounding that abbreviation is precisely the issue.

Did any one catch the Andrew Bolt debate on Q&A. I think Q&A owe him an apology as there were a few false claims made that really should be corrected in all fairness. I also listened to the 2gb podcast with Marcia Langton, it was very amusing as neither side could get a word in or their point across. Bolt and Price should have let her get her point across with out interruption, but in my view she was talking more crap.

I don't think he is a racist in the true sense of the definition but I can see how his articles were seen as offensive in the no go area of this subject. I do not understand the hate towards him. I just tune out when I do not agree with him.