The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

John U

MTB Precision
NATIONALS MPs will demand a written guarantee from Malcolm Turnbull that he will not pursue an emissions trading scheme, gay marriage or backtrack on asylum-seeker policy if he topples Tony Abbott to become prime minister.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...essive-instincts/story-fn59niix-1227209730141

maybe they've always been like this?
:noidea:
Wow. What's the point of changing leader then? I grew up in the country but moved away to go to uni. It was safe national but even back then I would've thought they were more forward thinking than this shit. Written guarantee! WTF. You are correct. This speaks more of ideology than representing people in the country. Or maybe they've all swallowed the bullshit in the country.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
NATIONALS MPs will demand a written guarantee from Malcolm Turnbull that he will not pursue an emissions trading scheme, gay marriage or backtrack on asylum-seeker policy if he topples Tony Abbott to become prime minister.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...essive-instincts/story-fn59niix-1227209730141

maybe they've always been like this?
:noidea:
It's not just the nationals, the conservatives in his own party will demand this too.

It may be the only thing that saves Abbott's skin, that Turnbull will be reluctant to take over leadership with these policy anchors dragging him down.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, 39 is a lot of people trying to oust him. Shows a lot of dissatisfaction and provides a lot of ammunition to anyone who wants to replace the leader.

My first bet was against the claim that Morrison would lead by March. That one is in the bag. The second bet was that Abbott will be gone by June, even more confident of that result after today's result.

Last edited:

Beej1

anti-climax.
I was thinking the same thing. Then I was thinking about how much either the internet, or social media, or both, have had an influence on what people think about/expect out of politics. In what I loosely label 'current media trends', it seems you need to make a story exciting or most folk wont give a rats arse. A piece of policy getting through the Senate? Yawn ... everyone must've agreed on it. Boring. Leadership stoush? Click click click ...

Obviously, this thread is full of people who are interested in (and passionate about) other aspects of politics, but for the large part, the average train platform conversation I overhear seems largely guided by media headlines, and hardly ever about actual policy.

But yeah ... still an anti-climax. I would like to see what changes a Team Turnip government would make.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I was thinking the same thing. Then I was thinking about how much either the internet, or social media, or both, have had an influence on what people think about/expect out of politics. In what I loosely label 'current media trends', it seems you need to make a story exciting or most folk wont give a rats arse. A piece of policy getting through the Senate? Yawn ... everyone must've agreed on it. Boring. Leadership stoush? Click click click ...

Obviously, this thread is full of people who are interested in (and passionate about) other aspects of politics, but for the large part, the average train platform conversation I overhear seems largely guided by media headlines, and hardly ever about actual policy.

But yeah ... still an anti-climax. I would like to see what changes a Team Turnip government would make.
I don't think the Libs are ready for Turnip...I was expecting a more conservative slide, and hoping for the end of Hockey as treasurer.

And you bet the media crank up the spin and rely on drama to sell their junk. Sadly I hear even less awareness of politics than you from regular everyday people! many I spoke with over the weekend didn't even know that we were possibly on the way to a new pm today....

Beej1

Sadly I hear even less awareness of politics than you from regular everyday people!
Sorry ... should've been more clear: I meant the average politics based conversation ... the average conversation in general is about I'm a celebrity get me out of here, other reality TV, who did what last night etc. And if it's full of school kids - the same thing but with 'like' separating every 3rd & 4th word.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sorry ... should've been more clear: I meant the average politics based conversation ... the average conversation in general is about I'm a celebrity get me out of here, other reality TV, who did what last night etc. And if it's full of school kids - the same thing but with 'like' separating every 3rd & 4th word.
Phew! I was worried that I had somehow slipped into an even dumber part of Australia. I was sitting at a table next to 4 adults (2m, 2F) all >50 and talking about:
- pretending to be having affairs with each other
- getting tattoos
- getting boob jobs
- general shite at work.

scblack

Leucocholic
anti-climax.
If you think so. But there was really little there. Sure polls are down, some policies failed, knights and dames is farking stupid. Its only Labor who seem to choose their party leaders and try them on for size as PM on the basis of the latest opinion polls.

But when there was no person actually pulling the strings for a stoush, and it all turned out to be really just more media beat-up, what did you expect?

Linga

Likes Dirt
If you think so. But there was really little there. Sure polls are down, some policies failed, knights and dames is farking stupid. Its only Labor who seem to choose their party leaders and try them on for size as PM on the basis of the latest opinion polls.

But when there was no person actually pulling the strings for a stoush, and it all turned out to be really just more media beat-up, what did you expect?
3 WA ministers and no setup..? Julie was all smiles and coy responses.
I got told by one of my work colleagues yesterday that we gentoo much political information. We need less because we are not qualified... I'm not sure I agree with that opinion.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

SC, is this really you?

Media beat up? You absolutely must be kidding. The respected commentators in the press gallery did not push this, back benchers did. Pretty much no one is talking this down except for Abbott and a couple of close supporters . He is a dead man walking, unless there is a spill and he somehow manages to win it.

The ALPs leadership woes had 2 things that differentiate it from just about any other leadership dramas the past.
1 a current PM that wasn't disliked by the public was outed for a non too popular replacement, and
2 there was big time white anting by KR after that point, leaks, media contact etc etc.

I can't for the life of me see how TA is going to do anything other than hand Shorten the job

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Short memory much? Slip back a few pages and enjoy the Keating vids...how many changes did the libs go through in the 80s/90s?

3 WA ministers and no setup..? Julie was all smiles and coy responses.
I got told by one of my work colleagues yesterday that we gentoo much political information. We need less because we are not qualified... I'm not sure I agree with that opinion.
I think you're onto something. While she probably isn't too eager to be seen wielding the knife, I'm sure this is not a coincidence...et tu brute?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
40% of the sitting LNP members have declared no confidence in their leader by voting to remove him from power and people see this as a media beat up?! That's difficult for me to understand.

Abbott now has to effect a pretty miraculous turn around in personal conduct and opinion polls to justify his continued leadership. Short of that he is gone, which I believe will be the case.

Beej1

40% of the sitting LNP members have declared no confidence in their leader by voting to remove him from power and people see this as a media beat up?! That's difficult for me to understand.

Abbott now has to effect a pretty miraculous turn around in personal conduct and opinion polls to justify his continued leadership. Short of that he is gone, which I believe will be the case.
One things for sure - if he does get ousted, the Stop Tony Meow plugin I'm running in Chrome will get much less of a workout:

scr.jpg

scblack

Leucocholic
OK, maybe more than simply a beat-up:nod::tape2:. But beat out of proportion by the media I do believe.

No-one put their hand up at any time during this media frenzy. I am absolutely sure there is many discontented back-benchers, but there are many more that are content (at least content enough to sit on their hands presently). I agree Abbott has been pretty shithouse with many policies and is running a shambolic govt. to some degree and at times. But other than some captains calls he is not to blame alone for that. Maybe he will be gone soon, I dunno.

But why do you expect Liberals to change leaders with (seemingly) every bad opinion poll, like Labor did? Being a party leader is about more than simply opinion polls.