The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
BTW poodle, when I said fools, it was referring to capital B believers and capital D deniers equally - that is people who think in certainties. It's nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with my position, it's fundamental that a black and white position is untenable in most areas of science. In this area of science it is an undeniable situation that it is a set of likelihoods - both for current and modelled effects

Ooh look, a post from someone on ignore.......
Extremes are rarely a good position to be in.

floody

Wheel size expert
I admire your optimism, right now however, solar produces a bit over 1% of Indias power according to Wikipedia . I don't even want to look up the planned coal power stations, but I bet it's a few.

BTW poodle, when I said fools, it was referring to capital B believers and capital D deniers equally - that is people who think in certainties. It's nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with my position, it's fundamental that a black and white position is untenable in most areas of science. In this area of science it is an undeniable situation that it is a set of likelihoods - both for current and modelled effects

Ooh look, a post from someone on ignore.......

India has 500+ proposed coal fired power plants, which people are being maimed and killed in protest against. They are also heavy into establishing Nuclear with the assistance of the Soviets...sorry, the Russians.

Just because India are building it, does not mean we must fuel it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
India has 500+ proposed coal fired power plants, which people are being maimed and killed in protest against. They are also heavy into establishing Nuclear with the assistance of the Soviets...sorry, the Russians.

But we already have a deal to send them he fuel they need...but not Pakistan. Helping the empire and all that I suppose.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
But we already have a deal to send them he fuel they need...but not Pakistan. Helping the empire and all that I suppose.
Perhaps that is the example that most encapsulates the environmentalist view versus the pragmatic.

Nuclear power (in all forms) is rejected out of hand by people who say the planet is doomed because of CO2. It's certainly not THE solution, but it surely should be part of it. It's no fluke that countries like France and Germany who do well under emissions reductions also have easy access to backup nuclear both within and across country borders

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
So says an Australian.

We are one of the lucky countries. Climate migration will radically change the world, at least we've got ocean borders.
Yes...I pointed that out in my post.

As for us being the 'lucky country' when it comes to climate change, ocean borders and climate migration...I wouldn't say so. Our only 'luck' is that unlike many other nations we have access to most of the resources required to adapt (in human terms). But our geography, ecology and society are set for a hell of a shake up regardless...

www.climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au and check out the Climate Analogues tool.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes...I pointed that out in my post.

As for us being the 'lucky country' when it comes to climate change, ocean borders and climate migration...I wouldn't say so. Our only 'luck' is that unlike many other nations we have access to most of the resources required to adapt (in human terms). But our geography, ecology and society are set for a hell of a shake up regardless...

www.climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au and check out the Climate Analogues tool.
Look mate, that is straight up bullshit. I (regretfully) watched Mad Max Fury Road, a documentary full of scare mongering about global warming and air pollution. Quite frankly those people still had water. We can regenerate our wastelands, we just need to believe in our ability to do so. We are the dominant species!

Insert llama where appropriate...I'm new to this bit and don't know exactly how it works.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hey Pinkie. I've never worried that human kind will become extinct.

I worry about all the shit that will occur as we carry out our extinction-mitigation mentality.

John U

MTB Precision
Now ain't that the truth, unless you have lived like a hippy or an Amazonian tribesman with no reliance on main civilisation, we have all contributed to the greed.
It is part of our make up to consume and collect as much as we can. Going against this,which is what I believe we should do, is going against our evolution. It will be our undoing.

There is always hope though. No point in just giving up.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Think of all the uranium Australia can export to India! Nuclear power is the future....Japan have recently re-started some of their reactors, India are planning to build a shitload whilst Australia, which ironically has one of the lowest population densities, still thumbs it's nose at the most efficient and cost effective form of power generation. Adding more weight to the nuclear argument, Australia is pretty good at digging stuff out of the ground and we have plenty of uranium to sell.
But no....some Dolphin hugging NIMBYS think nuclear energy will ultimately kill us all. FFS the paper cups they buy their daily coffee's in or the components in their redundant iProducts will fuck the planet long before nuclear power ever will.

floody

Wheel size expert
As for us being the 'lucky country' when it comes to climate change, ocean borders and climate migration...I wouldn't say so.

I would. The genesis of the epithet 'the lucky country' came from Donald Horne's 1964 book of the same title, wherein at the opening of the last chapter he observes that Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise.

That sounds pretty accurate to me.

scblack

Leucocholic
I would. The genesis of the epithet 'the lucky country' came from Donald Horne's 1964 book of the same title, wherein at the opening of the last chapter he observes that Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise.

That sounds pretty accurate to me.
Why would you consider yourself to be second rate, Floody?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Think of all the uranium Australia can export to India! Nuclear power is the future....Japan have recently re-started some of their reactors, India are planning to build a shitload whilst Australia, which ironically has one of the lowest population densities, still thumbs it's nose at the most efficient and cost effective form of power generation. Adding more weight to the nuclear argument, Australia is pretty good at digging stuff out of the ground and we have plenty of uranium to sell.
But no....some Dolphin hugging NIMBYS think nuclear energy will ultimately kill us all. FFS the paper cups they buy their daily coffee's in or the components in their redundant iProducts will fuck the planet long before nuclear power ever will.
Dolphin huggers.... Bwahahaha

Hipsters don't even notice their recyclable paper cup, (a) goes into a street waste bin,and (b) has a plastic lid.

What it really means, is global warming is the major issue except when an action or solution goes against my religious beliefs.

John U

MTB Precision
Yeah, no worries with looking after all that nuclear waste for 10's of 1000's of years. That shit'll look after itself.

A fairly large proportion of corporate arseholes can't be trusted with the here and now, let alone thousands of years into the future. This is a big gap in your argument.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dolphin huggers.... Bwahahaha

Hipsters don't even notice their recyclable paper cup, (a) goes into a street waste bin,and (b) has a plastic lid.

What it really means, is global warming is the major issue except when an action or solution goes against my religious beliefs.
Funny you should mention that...I clock a few hours here and there working in a friend's cafe. Bio everything in the take away range, all of which is recyclable and compostable...predominantly young hip unistudent customers...about 1% can get their head around the recycle bin. Unbelievable level of ignorance/stupidity! The recyclable symbol is on all of it...

si618

Likes Dirt
...still thumbs it's nose at the most efficient and cost effective form of power generation.
It's not as cost effective if you look at the total costs, including commissioning and decommissioning of the power plants, and dealing with the waste. Thorium got a lot of buzz a few years ago, but it looks like that's also going to be a long, hard and expensive road.

....some Dolphin hugging NIMBYS think nuclear energy will ultimately kill us all.
Nah, modern nuclear energy is quite safe if done right, and far cleaner than coal, we just have a bad habit of fucking things up. Nuclear plants cost a bucketload to build, so it seems far better to invest in tech that harnesses a massive nuclear plant that we don't have to build and will easily outlast humanity. Fusion power looks rad though, pity it's so hard to do.

If we had invested as much in R&D for renewables as we have in nuclear, and done so for the amount of time the nuclear industry has been operating, we probably wouldn't be having this argument. 5-10 years ago you may have been right, but at grid scale, it looks like it's going to be a battle between Wind/PV + battery storage vs CSP as to which can provide the cheapest clean electricity where hydro isn't available.

If PV + storage wins, it's going to get real messy when it's price equivalent or cheaper than what the grid costs...that's going to be hugely disruptive, so I hope CSP gets supported, as Australia is ideally suited. Kind of crazy to think the entire population of Adelaide could be powered by clean energy (2 x CSP as per copiapo) for the cost of 3 Adelaide ovals and 1 hospital, or 2 and a bit desalination plants.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yeah, no worries with looking after all that nuclear waste for 10's of 1000's of years. That shit'll look after itself.

A fairly large proportion of corporate arseholes can't be trusted with the here and now, let alone thousands of years into the future. This is a big gap in your argument.
I thought you were concerned with devastation in 50 years from climate change, but now that's less important that burying waste 1km underground permanently and without need for stewardship

Which begs the question, why the point about "corporate arseholes"?

Perhaps because it fits your narrative?

Si618 - don't mention hydro, the greenies are down on that one too

Last edited:

Beej1

I don't claim to be an expert in this despite my username, which is entirely unrelated, but a while ago some research I did into modern nuclear powerplants indicated the amount of waste they'd potentially generate in 30 years of use would be a lot smaller than you'd think. Like, enough to fill a large house. Something to do with reprocessing initial waste into secondary fissile material for fast neutron rectors. Plus the final waste itself is a lot less radioactive as a result. I'll try and find the articles, but in any case, I was surprised.

Combined with them only letting off steam as opposed to smoke from coal burning, along with the rest of the sludge from coal plants, and nuclear looked pretty damn spanking clean in comparison.

However, same article also showed how hideously expensive to build they are compared to coal.