The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Flow-Rider

Burner
The Labor party did bring that law in, but they were as developer deep as the Libs. Both parties have a long history of association with greed.

Let's see...the Lord Mayor (owner of a fairly large development company and other developers) "donate" illegally to all the local Liberal members' campaigns, and don't expect anything in return? I struggle to believe. If this was not an attempt to gain advantage by deceit...

The high court case was basically, in less colourful language, that despite owning/running/leading/making money out of a property development company (and associated companies and trusts etc) the individual was not a property developer and was thus able to make those donations. That concept was rejected by the high court. Talk about clutching at straws.

Funny thing on Eddie in the SMH recently. The staffers that has hung him out to dry is now going soft. (Hazed paraphrase here) Eddie only asked him to contact the person seeking negotiation on behalf of the business owners in circular quay, nothing more...hmmmm. So much has been made of this specific event, that one would hope the prosecution has more arrows in the quiver.
I bet large property developers are still finding ways to influence MPs into granting development approvals. The brown paper bag is looking good.:spy:

I remember something on the ABC a while back where a real estate agent that had ties with a developer gave a large wad of money to a party.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Was it different to where you though you were?
Thought I was a communist.

Seriously now, running through vote compass again, I can't make my result any more left and progressive then the Green's position.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Thought I was a communist.

Seriously now, running through vote compass again, I can't make my result any more left and progressive then the Green's position.
That's because looney is a binary diagnosis.

They need an extra question - In order to save refugee lives, should we just send planes over with free passage for anyone self identifying as a refugee?

Then - Should the corporate tax rate be increased to 90%?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's because looney is a binary diagnosis.

They need an extra question - In order to save refugee lives, should we just send planes over with free passage for anyone self identifying as a refugee?

Then - Should the corporate tax rate be increased to 90%?
Corporate tax could easily abolished without any negative outcomes. Just need to abolish corporate....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
On refugees - quite possibly the reason the Brexit has got up today. White working class voters it would seem.

Immigration is a bit like that, you have a certain speed of change that's acceptable and manageable. Go over it, and you have unintended (unexpected) consequences.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
On refugees - quite possibly the reason the Brexit has got up today. White working class voters it would seem.

Immigration is a bit like that, you have a certain speed of change that's acceptable and manageable. Go over it, and you have unintended (unexpected) consequences.
By acceptable and manageable...what do you mean?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
By acceptable and manageable...what do you mean?
Well "acceptable" to the majority working class I suppose. Sort of like a lazy dog groaning in the corner - why is your dog groaning? - oh he is lying on a nail, it hurts enough to make him groan but not enough to make him move.

Racism/nationalism are endemic in this world, but they froth to the top when things change too fast. The U.K. Has suffered from racism and fracture, particularly in those working class cities and Burroughs where there has been a significant influx of different cultures with resultant cultural friction.

A year ago, this plebiscite wouldn't have had a chance.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well "acceptable" to the majority working class I suppose. Sort of like a lazy dog groaning in the corner - why is your dog groaning? - oh he is lying on a nail, it hurts enough to make him groan but not enough to make him move.

Racism/nationalism are endemic in this world, but they froth to the top when things change too fast. The U.K. Has suffered from racism and fracture, particularly in those working class cities and Burroughs where there has been a significant influx of different cultures with resultant cultural friction.

A year ago, this plebiscite wouldn't have had a chance.
I don't think xenophobia is limited to any particular class, but it is strong at the moment. So is fear of the unknown and change.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think xenophobia is limited to any particular class, but it is strong at the moment. So is fear of the unknown and change.
Do you reckon in general xenophobia is the main cause of Brexit?
Certainly plays a signifigant part.. I saw first hand in Greece years ago, there was a large chunk of people just screwed by joining the eu and especially once the euro came in. I think there was a big divide of have and have not's in the eu.
It is similar to free trade agreements, there are winners and losers. And it always seems (to those who aren't) the big end of town are on the winning end of these decisions.. And when these big end guys tell the little guys what they should do, they little guys give them the finger!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do you reckon in general xenophobia is the main cause of Brexit?
Certainly plays a signifigant part.. I saw first hand in Greece years ago, there was a large chunk of people just screwed by joining the eu and especially once the euro came in. I think there was a big divide of have and have not's in the eu.
It is similar to free trade agreements, there are winners and losers. And it always seems (to those who aren't) the big end of town are on the winning end of these decisions.. And when these big end guys tell the little guys what they should do, they little guys give them the finger!
I haven't followed it closely enough to have an informed opinion, but it has been widely reported (sensationally perhaps?) that the exit promoters have pushed the xenophobia button pretty hard. I have assumed it is just one of a range of ideas, but it sells more stories and is similar to our political agenda here of keeping the boats away so we hear about it more.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I don't think it's Xenophobia as much as it is about standard of living for the lower income (or working class) citizens of the UK, who are competing for work against an influx of cheaper labour from the poorer parts of the Eurozone.

Xenophobia may be a symptom. Same deal in Greece.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Also, after hearing one of the local Greens reps talk BS about the impact of mountain biking on the local radio (when she sounded like she had done zero research) there is no way I can vote for those guys.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Also, after hearing one of the local Greens reps talk BS about the impact of mountain biking on the local radio (when she sounded like she had done zero research) there is no way I can vote for those guys.
Was she drawing comparisons between MTB usage and Moto/4x4?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I've noticed this is a common strategy for the greens. They tend to put the biggest greenie crackjobs in seats they have zero chance of winning while keeping the moderate greens in seats they have a greater chance in. I'm an on and off again greens supporter but some of the stuff the local member comes up with I and dumbstruck.

Is the an Ausxit party to vote for? Can we disconnect from the rest of the stuffed up world?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I don't really believe that happened or you are taking something that was said out of context. The Greens are so pro bike down here a serious cyclist that only voted on one issue wouldn't vote for anyone else.