The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The way the SA grid performed is a triumph if anything. It did exactly what it designed to do, but could never really be tested.

It shut itself down super fast, and didn't fry anything. No substations went bang, no factories had equipment fried. Just like your house, it isolated itself from the extreme spike in voltage as transmission lines fell over and generation was suddenly isolated.

Wind farms were pumping massive amounts of power at the time, but once the power lines fell over they were feathered so they were not making power that couldn't go anywhere. Any conventional generation isolated physically like that would be idled.

Given the complexity of the system, its an extremely impressive effort that it was all reinitialised as quickly as it was.

Imagine if all those towns had their own mini grids with battery storage...

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
agreed Haakon,

if anything its incentive to go to a model with smaller but more frequent wind/solar power stations
what sort of line loss are they getting on those big cables anyway? how much coal are we wasting just to push the power across the border ffs??

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep. Interconnecters are generally Direct Current running at hundreds of thousands of volts, and lose very little. China is planning cables that will sell power to Europe!
Let us all hope that the Chinese don't figure out non-fossil fuel energy sources! We can get back on the black sheep's back.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I just watched Q&A with Jay Weatherill (sp ?) He is pretty impressive IMO.
good communication skills, not condescending ... I didn't get a 'snake oil salesmen' vibe off him like I do with Baird and I somewhat like Baird. This is all based on one viewing, so pinch of salt aye.

I thought his approach to the nuclear storage thing is pretty level headed, with equal weight to, both economics and social considerations (including indigenous). I haven't followed this at all, but I thought his approach was very considered and moderate.

Overall, I thought he had SA at heart as opposed to self interest.

what do you South Aussies think of him?
Well we have power back now (actually had it for a few days but it sounds better when you exaggerate) so I can offer some opinions...

He's not bad, but SA Labor have been in power for 9000 years now, and it shows. Tired and largely unimaginative, with horribly desperate GOOD NEWS stories trumpeted from the rooftops every time an Aldi opens with the promise of 80 new casual jobs. Their approach to nuclear storage is positive, but to my cynical mind points more to their sheer desperation to reverse our financial fortunes than anything. Or maybe I'm being unkind, IF they can nail down a way to transport it and store it effectively and safely and IF they can find countries who will be willing to pay the large sums of money to make it profitable then we may just yet turn coal into diamonds.

Otherwise this Government trumpets service industries as our saviour, conveniently forgetting that not everyone wants to work as a barista or in aged care. And Koutsantonis is a total dickhead.

However blame where blame is due, I will never forgive the Joe Hockey's incompetence (and I voted for the twats) in daring GM to shut down Holden. That's going to take a lot of already pretty downtrodden areas of SA and fuck them sideways.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm glad that the more wide spread appreciation of just how moronic Joe Honey is has found traction. What a complete piece of worthless shit he continually proved himself to be across such an unbelievably long career in federal parliament is astounding.

NSW govt is busy giving the all clear to shoot native animals at will. We are a progressive bunch.

John U

MTB Precision
Well we have power back now (actually had it for a few days but it sounds better when you exaggerate) so I can offer some opinions...

He's not bad, but SA Labor have been in power for 9000 years now, and it shows. Tired and largely unimaginative, with horribly desperate GOOD NEWS stories trumpeted from the rooftops every time an Aldi opens with the promise of 80 new casual jobs. Their approach to nuclear storage is positive, but to my cynical mind points more to their sheer desperation to reverse our financial fortunes than anything. Or maybe I'm being unkind, IF they can nail down a way to transport it and store it effectively and safely and IF they can find countries who will be willing to pay the large sums of money to make it profitable then we may just yet turn coal into diamonds.

Otherwise this Government trumpets service industries as our saviour, conveniently forgetting that not everyone wants to work as a barista or in aged care. And Koutsantonis is a total dickhead.

However blame where blame is due, I will never forgive the Joe Hockey's incompetence (and I voted for the twats) in daring GM to shut down Holden. That's going to take a lot of already pretty downtrodden areas of SA and fuck them sideways.
Problem with radioactive waste is it stays radioactive for a long time. Are the nations that give it to us to store going to pay on an ongoing basis for us to store it?

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Problem with radioactive waste is it stays radioactive for a long time. Are the nations that give it to us to store going to pay on an ongoing basis for us to store it?
I reckon that would've factored into the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John U

MTB Precision

I'm not sure of the timeframes but I think it's 1000s of years in some circumstances. I don't think you could estimate that far out, and I don't think anyone would be prepared to pay that far out. That's where the problems are. The providers of the waste will only ever pay for part of the service that they require.

You may be right, but govts seem pretty inept doing anything over the long term.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

In a lowest bidder wins world...that would be interesting. How do you figure ongoing cost fluctuations?

There is also a security issue with it. In the age of fear of terrorism, this would be an interesting consideration.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Take a very conservative approach to setting a price that could take into account a certain fluctuation contingency? I dunno, but it's not exactly a nuclear waste sellers market right now so I reckon you might be able to name your price.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I'm not sure of the timeframes but I think it's 1000s of years in some circumstances. I don't think you could estimate that far out, and I don't think anyone would be prepared to pay that far out. That's where the problems are. The providers of the waste will only ever pay for part of the service that they require.

You may be right, but govts seem pretty inept doing anything over the long term.
In a lowest bidder wins world...that would be interesting. How do you figure ongoing cost fluctuations?

There is also a security issue with it. In the age of fear of terrorism, this would be an interesting consideration.
Don't forget we are one of the countries that gives it to them. The stuff we send out of a Australia is a low grade so I would imagine it not to be any good for bombs unless it gets further refined somewhere along the line. I can't see why they can't put it back into the void they removed it from in the first place but I suppose it comes down to multi million dollar companies like RIOTINTO having to spend money. I have seen some documentaries of late about Fukushima and Chernobyl and it didn't look too good from a radioactive perspective.