The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
She's capitalising on massive dissatisfaction with politics as it exists in Australia today. After how many years of party infighting for leadership and clear politicisation of issues (energy, economy/budget/ immigration, etc) as well as constant scandals involving politicians rorting their entitlements people are tired of business as usual - somewhat similar to what has occurred in the US and GB. Read here to see what I'm talking about and what Hanson may have stumbled onto (I say stumbled because her current message is very similar to her previous message it's just that it's finally come of age - I'm setting aside her racism in this post and focusing on the rest of her approach - watch last week's ABC Insiders for what I'm referring to):

Ken Henry - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-...ad-ken-henry-attacks-political-system/8296692

ANU survey's showing slide in confidence and reasoning:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-11/poll-data-reveals-waning-interest-in-politics/5662568
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-20/2016-australian-election-disaffected-study/8134508
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...a/news-story/5f1a3b70f799c75e8a93d3052dd9399a
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ffection-taking-hold-in-australia-review-says

Pauline Hanson isn't the problem, she is the symptom of a political system that is no longer seen to be working for the public and the greater good.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You guys keep overlooking the sex appeal.

She does touch on a lot of those who are left behind by a modernised world as well...something of an anti-keating, reaching out to those stuck in the sand. The major parties both have left plenty of their traditional followers behind. It is a similar scenario to the Greens scooping up some of the left leaning folk.

Flow-Rider

Burner
She connects well with people from rural areas that have been in generations of farming, that's all they know and care about. It was once a thriving industry that lead Australia into good economic times but now the government doesn't give a rats arse about it or people.

I notice now she is leading a few sheep up in the Pilbara area and it's like Rednecker central there before she even entered.

She's not even good as a hooker, just look at when Oldfield sodomized her mentally and physically. She is far from being intelligent.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It's called a protest vote.

And to see the Greens as communist is a bit silly.

I didn't vote for them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's called a protest vote.

And to see the Greens as communist is a bit silly.

I didn't vote for them.
Its true, they arent. But they do promote themselves as picking up a bunch of issues that would be traditionally considered labor's specialty.

John U

MTB Precision
Its true, they arent. But they do promote themselves as picking up a bunch of issues that would be traditionally considered labor's specialty.
Labor are not what they used to be. The greens are mid left. Labor are closer to LNP than the greens. Greens are where Labor used to be.

And Labor is where the Libs used to be and the Libs are....
The fact that ex PM Malcolm Fraser disowned his own party was a good sign of what they've become.

Last edited:

golden path

Banned
Labor aren't for the average working bloke, that's for sure.

I see the Greens as even further Left than Labor.

And as such, the embodiment of eeeeeevil.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
What's your definition of the average working bloke?
It would be different from yours.

If you think the greens are centre left, you can safely assume you voted for them. That's the thing people don't position political parties on some rational background, but on what they themselves think, and most people think they are the centre, doesn't matter if they voted for tony Abbott or Doug Cameron, they both think they are either just left of centre or just right if centre at worst.

To me, Doug Cameron is a lunatic, and Natale is moderately less mad than Christine Milne who was a complete looney. People who vote for them, bless 'em are just ignorant if what they are voting for..

So here's my personal test - if the politician generally is angry, they are at the extreme of their political wing, if they are rational and circumspect, they are somewhere near the middle

John U

MTB Precision
It would be different from yours.

If you think the greens are centre left, you can safely assume you voted for them. That's the thing people don't position political parties on some rational background, but on what they themselves think, and most people think they are the centre, doesn't matter if they voted for tony Abbott or Doug Cameron, they both think they are either just left of centre or just right if centre at worst.

To me, Doug Cameron is a lunatic, and Natale is moderately less mad than Christine Milne who was a complete looney. People who vote for them, bless 'em are just ignorant if what they are voting for..

So here's my personal test - if the politician generally is angry, they are at the extreme of their political wing, if they are rational and circumspect, they are somewhere near the middle
I never claimed to be just left of centre. So on your test all the calm talking from the IPA extremists makes their policies all sweet? You agree with the IPA be like Gough list.

I have no allegiance to any party. I will vote for who has the fairest policies at election time and I'm convinced (by whatever info I can gather) that they're not lying. Fairest policies covers some diverse ground.

If the LNP line up with what I believe are the fairest policies at the next election and I believe they have every intention of implementing them I would have no problem voting for them.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yes, I am very agreeable to an IPA and would very much class my interests as extreme.

IMG_5094.jpg

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I never claimed to be just left of centre. So on your test all the calm talking from the IPA extremists makes their policies all sweet? You agree with the IPA be like Gough list.

Snip

If the LNP line up with what I believe are the fairest policies at the next election and I believe they have every intention of implementing them I would have no problem voting for them.
Being rational is much easier without emotion, that is all.

So, when was the last time you actually cast your vote is a federal election for the coalition?

John U

MTB Precision
Being rational is much easier without emotion, that is all.

So, when was the last time you actually cast your vote is a federal election for the coalition?
It happened, multiple times. I got more interested in politics and my preferences changed. I should have been more involved earlier.

You haven't heard of the Institute of Public Affairs? They seem to dictate quite a bit of LNP policy, dominate air time on ABC current affairs/news/that type of thing programs, and produce a large percentage of LNP candidates for safe seats. You should know of them.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
Nah, I love the angry loonies at least you know what they are thinking (or not thinking through)...though I more likely to vote for the party that keeps them further from the controls. At the end of the day politics in Australia without Bob Katter or Barnaby Joyce will be a lot less interesting.

The problem with the rational/circumspect argument is the pollies that can be arsed doing this for more than 3 minutes at a time in the Libour/Laboeral party are Malcolm and Bill. They waste their rational/circumspect thought process on working out which nut job in their own party they have to keep on side, to keep their job for the next 15 minutes. Normally this involves adopting some dumb arsed idea - clean coal, super tax, there is no house price bubble or something equally stupid. If the rational/circumspect thinking was used to run the country we would all be better off.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
It happened, multiple times. I got more interested in politics and my preferences changed. I should have been more involved earlier.

You haven't heard of the Institute of Public Affairs? They seem to dictate quite a bit of LNP policy, dominate air time on ABC current affairs/news/that type of thing programs, and produce a large percentage of LNP candidates for safe seats. You should know of them.
I have heard of them, as the institute of public affairs, not IPA, which is johnny points out is an excellent beer style first and foremost.

I asked the question because you used the word "fair" to refer to policies, not good or correct or best, and that is a catchword used all the time by the leadership of the ALP. Which of course means fair to those who don't pay much tax