The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Personally, we need cyclist specific ped crossings as well as female ones for when you're walking your bike.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-...signals-melbourne-pedestrian-crossing/8330560

If I actually visited the shithole known as "Melbourne" often enough to care, I might, as a cyclist, feel discriminated against.
Bwahahha - thats awesome, there will be much support for that here, we need 2 men holding hands as well

My local council wanted to spend $10k on painting a crossing in rainbow colours

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bwahahha - thats awesome, there will be much support for that here, we need 2 men holding hands as well

My local council wanted to spend $10k on painting a crossing in rainbow colours
If I remember correctly the mayor at the time spoke out against that.in a way that bordered on inappropriate. He was also displeased with all the chalk rainbows that popped up at the same time.

...also of note was that some of the stairs over Wickham railway station were actually painted in rainbow colours. Though this generated a lot less sensation.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If I remember correctly the mayor at the time spoke out against that.in a way that bordered on inappropriate. He was also displeased with all the chalk rainbows that popped up at the same time.

...also of note was that some of the stairs over Wickham railway station were actually painted in rainbow colours. Though this generated a lot less sensation.
It was only 2015, so the mayor would have been a she - maybe you are thinking of one of the other councillors.

Anyway a stick figure with a skirt assumes women wear skirts all the time and im sick of the discrimination i see with stick figures in skirts pushing prams as if a stick figure in pants cant have a pram!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It was only 2015, so the mayor would have been a she - maybe you are thinking of one of the other councillors.

Anyway a stick figure with a skirt assumes women wear skirts all the time and im sick of the discrimination i see with stick figures in skirts pushing prams as if a stick figure in pants cant have a pram!
It has been an issue twice in recent years. I just jumbled them into one I think...her shit at it was pure populist nonsense. During her predecessor's time in office it was a thing off the back of the Darlinghurst rainbow crossing being removed. That said I do generally hold our council in high regard. They have a long history of delivering excellent governance and civic leadership.

Are you sure those new traffic lights are Scottsmen in kilts? Melbourne and Edinburgh are linked in spirit by their comedy festivals...

Binaural

Eats Squid
Nanny state examples
It is illegal to park in front of your very own driveway.
It is illegal for a householder replace a single power point, or replace a light fitting
The speed limit around a college (16yr old and up) is mandated at 40kmh at times , even if there is no access to the road (fenced off) and pedestrian overpasses.
School zones operate on safety cameras even when school is on holiday or pupil free days.
Cyclists is Australia must always wear a helmet
Cyclists in Australia must have a bell on their bike, and must not do track stands at lights (riding furiously)
Plain packaging for cigarettes
No smoking in open public spaces, near bus tops, taxi ranks etc.
Entire worksites that ban smoking eg state hospital grounds
Risk assessments required for a neighbourhood street party.
Internet filter
Kids must not run in a playground
2 lollipop ladies at each school pedestrian crossing for 4 hours a day.
Instant execution of speeders in Victoria
Stealing people's cars for "loss of traction" - what the?
How about a mainbedroom window that cannot open more than 10cm
Or stairs that can't have a gap more than 10cm between treads
Swimming Pools must have a cover
Balustrades must have a handrail on the top
To use a ladder on a worksite you must have one man holding the ladder and it cant be above 2m or something

Regrettably, it's a countrywide problem, we have no libertarian movement in Australia because the average Australian only cares about a law change that impacts them personally, and of course all laws only impact a minority one at a time untill everyone is effected, even worse.

The catchcry - won't someone think of the children, is pretty much a summation of the situation in Australia
It irritates me to defend regulations in general, but many of these items you call out as the "nanny state" are just ridiculous whingeing that cannot reasonably be described as such. Restrictions on electrical work worldwide reflect the fact that your average householder has no idea how to safely isolate a circuit and test that it is properly isolated (take it from me). You can't park in front of your own driveway because parking inspectors or cops etc. have no straightforward means of knowing it's your car or somebody else's. The 40k/hr speed limit around colleges applies during school hours only and adding rare exceptions is not practical or particularly useful etc etc etc.

There are a couple of points there that merit discussion, but most of the others reflect the decisions or policies of organisations or individuals, not the government at all. These are the literal opposite of nanny state regulations. It is faintly ridiculous to claim you want to see a libertarian movement in Australia, and then complain that individuals and organisations make decisions that you don't like based on what they perceive as their interests.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
It irritates me to defend regulations in general, but many of these items you call out as the "nanny state" are just ridiculous whingeing that cannot reasonably be described as such. Restrictions on electrical work worldwide reflect the fact that your average householder has no idea how to safely isolate a circuit and test that it is properly isolated (take it from me). You can't park in front of your own driveway because parking inspectors or cops etc. have no straightforward means of knowing it's your car or somebody else's. The 40k/hr speed limit around colleges applies during school hours only and adding rare exceptions is not practical or particularly useful etc etc etc.

There are a couple of points there that merit discussion, but most of the others reflect the decisions or policies of organisations or individuals, not the government at all. These are the literal opposite of nanny state regulations. It is faintly ridiculous to claim you want to see a libertarian movement in Australia, and then complain that individuals and organisations make decisions that you don't like based on what they perceive as their interests.
Right o, I'll man up

Australia is the only western country in the world to allow zero DIY electrical work (even NZ has a shirt course small electrical for home owners ) Australia however does not have lower electrocutions nor lower electrical house fires as a result - go ahead and check, but this is what happens when you will fully make people ignorant by restricting information and advice .

We make laws just to make it easy for cops to fine people? And that isn't Nancy state - perhaps its police state then? Gee it would be simple if your own driveway was simply a defence in court to a parking ticket wouldn't it , and that would remove your problem.

School zones - so we make blanket laws rather than targeted ones that improve safety because it's just easier to make it without exception! So Nancy or police state , same thing, different label

Yes, some are organisation decisions, but they reflect the greater disease of making decisions for independent people by forcing them to do or not do something because we know better

Edit - nah, Nancy is just as good as Nanny

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Right o, I'll man up

Australia is the only western country in the world to allow zero DIY electrical work (even NZ has a shirt course small electrical for home owners ) Australia however does not have lower electrocutions nor lower electrical house fires as a result - go ahead and check, but this is what happens when you will fully make people ignorant by restricting information and advice .

We make laws just to make it easy for cops to fine people? And that isn't Nancy state - perhaps its police state then? Gee it would be simple if your own driveway was simply a defence in court to a parking ticket wouldn't it , and that would remove your problem.

School zones - so we make blanket laws rather than targeted ones that improve safety because it's just easier to make it without exception! So Nancy or police state , same thing, different label

Yes, some are organisation decisions, but they reflect the greater disease of making decisions for independent people by forcing them to do or not do something because we know better

Edit - nah, Nancy is just as good as Nanny
Someone has been messaging Nancy a lot!

I wouldn't be surprised if a powerful lobby group was behind the electricity issue. Insurance companies don't like to cover your house if you do the work yourself. It also helps keep electricians in the money.

Helmet laws are good. People that don't wear them are fucking stupid.

Plain packaging on tobacco poroducts shows the power of that industry. They can take on a completely meaningless token gesture and still deal their death products.

And golden boy keeps talking about all the car jacking in Victoria...this sounds like an exaggeration. Is this really a thing?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Someone has been messaging Nancy a lot!

I wouldn't be surprised if a powerful lobby group was behind the electricity issue. Insurance companies don't like to cover your house if you do the work yourself. It also helps keep electricians in the money.
You would say a special union was behind all of that but you can get a restricted electrical licence these days though if you are worthy of it.

Plain packaging on tobacco poroducts shows the power of that industry. They can take on a completely meaningless token gesture and still deal their death products..
This is one of my pet hates, was at the Docs today getting a dressing redone where a stick tried to enter my ankle. This old bloke beside me tells the nurse that he used to smoke 50 sigs a day and now down to 4 while he puts on the oxygen mask. Let these chunts leave the earth from their demise.

Now for the serious shit.

They say there is a trade shortage but the government wants to steer business away from labour intensive work because it can be done for a lot less overseas. How long will the building boom last is unknown, you might end up with a heap more unemployed there. Using these private companies to qualify labourers as tradesmans is a another big mistake.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You would say a special union was behind all of that but you can get a restricted electrical licence these days though if you are worthy of it.

This is one of my pet hates, was at the Docs today getting a dressing redone where a stick tried to enter my ankle. This old bloke beside me tells the nurse that he used to smoke 50 sigs a day and now down to 4 while he puts on the oxygen mask. Let these chunts leave the earth from their demise.

They say there is a trade shortage but the government wants to steer business away from labour intensive work because it can be done for a lot less overseas. How long will the building boom last is unknown, you might end up with a heap more unemployed there. Using these private companies to qualify labourers as tradesmans is a another big mistake.
People will need places to live for a very long time to come...Boom times won't last forever, but it won't just drop dead like some of our other industries (soon renewable energy...soon) of the dark ages. Perhaps we will see less skilled worker visas before mass industry wind downs.

John U

MTB Precision

Any job can be done cheaper by someone overseas or by imported labour. No one should think their job is immune.