The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reading social media posts, comment on news articles etc you'd think that Labor would romp home, and climate change action was a big deal. Everyone thinking the same way on the internet, way fuzzy feelings all around. Come voting time, the older conservatives who are not active in the conversation come out to play....and here we are.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Maybe they all want the environmental change as a plan, but they weren't on board with the methodology
No they don’t.

And what methodology?

It seems to being framed as an ideological issue, not a threat to the planet.

The results of this election are dire. But as stated earlier, Labor were not likely to do enough either.

I doubt many realise the utter shit we are in. There is no pros & cons with fixing CC, it just needs to be addressed head on.

The Liberals will cost us valuable time & our kids will pay for it.

Sucks to be a kid.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
There's so many things about this result that I don't understand.

I don't understand the animosity towards Shorten. I've always seen him as 'just another politician'. Not great, not awful.
But I've seen the hatred for him first hand from guys at work that would normally be Labor supporters. I don't know where it comes from?

I don't understand why Aussies don't reject the Murdoch newspapers? (For example, The Herald Sun in Melb. is a laughable waste of paper)

I don't understand how a party that treats 51% of the population like they are only good for cooking, breeding and looking pretty are so popular? A lot of women must have voted LNP today... WTF?

Queensland's choices for the GBR today just blow my mind into outer space. I'm speechless. That reef was one of the most gloriously beautiful things on this planet.
I guess even priceless things have a price?

I don't understand how an average Aussie with a half- decent education and a casual interest in politics couldn't see the Libs scare tactics for what they were?
Did people really think that a Labor govt would mean the coming of the Apocalypse?

I voted Greens. And I know they are no friend of my industry/career.
Not because I want them to run the country. (they're idiots).
I just want them to have a strong voice on climate action.
I want my daughters (and their kids) to have as much natural environment as possible.
Clearly I wasted my time at the booth and it is me who is out of touch. Really.

The shit thing is the Libs could have been the best party to tackle climate change. Their ideology is supposed to be about getting stuck into life's challenges. Not taking no for an answer. Using all your talent and resources to fix things yourself. They have the big connections and financial resources to really make things happen. To me, they are the ultimate hypocrites because they treat climate change as 'someone else's problem to fix' .. which is the very attitude I thought they despise?

I thought we were fucked before, now we're really fucked.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
my early vote for post of the year

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sucks to be a kid.
As shown last night, this kind of attitude is brushed off as nonsense by a conservative voter. For decades they have have been told alarmist stories and that "we need to do something quickly". When the alarmist predictions are not realised, they then tend to think the entire argument is rubbish.

We are a frog being slowly brought to the boil. Only when it's too late will change be made, but this is typical of any human action. I just really, really hope the economics solves the problem for us.

Congratulations on being disappointed, would you like a medal or a chest to pin it on?
How else are you supposed to vote if not for self interest? Did you vote on matters that you felt were important to you? Why is it a problem when someone does it?

So what do you call it when the media is spruking a "sure thing" Labor win on a daily basis in the lead up to the election, and citing these opinion polls, and then the actual voting goes the other way? Other than faulted methodology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_Australian_federal_election

Gee it's not far off looking like a giant dick, how appropriate on a couple of levels

1. Politicians are typically the biggest dicks
  2. Political campaigns are run by dicks that believe scare tactics are a just way of swaying opinion
  3. Most people are dicks for being swayed by scare tactics
  4. Either way, we are fucked.

Reactions: Zaf

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Reduce Taxes don’t increase services
When changing policy direction don’t make anybody worse off. Which is impossible, so just reduce taxes ok
Jobs over climate change ... sovereign risk vs Shonky Adani
Nobody trusted Shorten.

I had thought ... wished even ... that Dutton was gone. This and the member for Manila keeping their seats tells me a lot about QLD.

I hope the moderates in the libs get more power with this win ... but time will tell.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So what do you call it when the media is spruking a "sure thing" Labor win on a daily basis in the lead up to the election, and citing these opinion polls, and then the actual voting goes the other way? Other than faulted methodology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_Australian_federal_election

You're kind of just repeating yourself here. Polling, if done correctly, shows what a representative sample of what the population is thinking. It is specifically designed to remove the 'noise' and discussion from the equation to give a simple quantitative outcome. Every person involved in polling has the same amount of say as each other, it's impossible to have a 'silent' anything in polling, unless people are deliberately misleading in their answers or the polls are badly designed. The media reporting on the polls and what they suggest, if done objectively, is nothing more than a communication of a quantitative measure.

If you're talking about opinion pieces and editorials, sure, that's part of the discussion where you can talk about who is making the most noise. But that's not what it seems you're referring to, given your citing of polling.

There's a very clear history of the term, which was coined by Nixon when referring to anti-war protesters, which was used by Howard when referring to the moves to have him voted out, etc. This election flipped expectations, based on polling, no doubt about that. However, to say that the Liberal base was silent in this election campaign is pretty off the mark, in my opinion.

moorey

call me Mia
How else are you supposed to vote if not for self interest?
I don’t vote out of self interest. I’ll willingly vote for someone/something that I believe is for the greater good, regardless if it directly benefits/hurts me personally.
As a hoooman bean, I don’t understand people who only vote for things/people that benefit them.
I know it’s an easy position when I’m pretty privileged in life as a middle class white male aged 18-50(just)
I think my favorite Everest band Propagandi said it best.
‘and yes, I recognize the irony that the very system I oppose affords me the luxury of biting the hand that feeds. but that's exactly why privileged fucks like me should feel obliged to whine and kick and scream- until everyone has everything they need.…’

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
. The Coalition have been clear that they intend to honour the goals laid out in the Paris Agreement for 2020 and 2030, and that they stand by that commitment.

They are lying.

If you want to listen to lies, go ahead.

Have you bothered to read mate’s website on the carbonisation of Straya’s energy production? We are making NO headway & there’s no effective policy to fix it. Just rhetoric & lies.

Sweet.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I’m expecting more forced redundancies across a range of departments.

As shown last night, this kind of attitude is brushed off as nonsense by a conservative voter. For decades they have have been told alarmist stories and that "we need to do something quickly". When the alarmist predictions are not realised, they then tend to think the entire argument is rubbish.

We are a frog being slowly brought to the boil. Only when it's too late will change be made, but this is typical of any human action. I just really, really hope the economics solves the problem for
The “alarmist” predictions are coming to pass should anyone care to actually look. It’s usually worse than feared. Some people either don’t want to know or know but don’t care.

moorey

call me Mia
What makes you think everyone who voted the Coalition in didn't vote along the same ethical lines? Or tackle with the same question when they marked the ballot sheet?
The majority of comments from people when asked who they were voting for and why.

And I never said everyone did. You were the one who asked how anyone could vote out of anything other than self interest.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
What makes you think everyone who voted the Coalition in didn't vote along the same ethical lines? Or tackle with the same question when they marked the ballot sheet?
What sort of ethics would support voting for the LNP in regards to CC or any social issue or education? Genuinely curious.

It’s clear I need to understand what happened better so I can respond to such people better.