The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I am not sure that adding the extiniction of a particular bird species to the reasons in articles for not wanting the Adani mine is a good plan. If people don't care about the loss of water usage for food production and drinking water as good enough reasons what difference is a bird going to make. It just seems to be the thing people pick up in a conversation and use it as a bat - "so i lose my well paying jobs for a fucking bird" (Based on extended family members who work in QLD coal mines):(
Agreed. Was largely mu point though, I wasnt adding it to the list of reasons I was just noting that its fucking sad its going to extinct. Native Finches are awesome critters, way more personable than your average queenslander...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Agreed. Was largely mu point though, I wasnt adding it to the list of reasons I was just noting that its fucking sad its going to extinct. Native Finches are awesome critters, way more personable than your average queenslander...
What about the housing estate you live in and the block of land you purchased, even the mountainbike trails you ride, was that not previously a home to some type of animal or insect or plant ?

Haakon

What about the housing estate you live in and the block of land you purchased, even the mountainbike trails you ride, was that not previously a home to some type of animal or insect or plant ?
What about it? No reason to keep doing it... Also, Finches are cool. Try getting people to care about stygofauna...

Flow-Rider

Burner
What about it? No reason to keep doing it... Also, Finches are cool. Try getting people to care about stygofauna...
That's right double standards, new housing estates go up everyday that knock down natural vegetation but when it benefits you it's a different matter.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What has the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet got to do with anything?

I probably have more critters here now than before it was a house block. Moving in from outside. 8 pairs of bush thicknees amongst other species.

Haakon

What has the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet got to do with anything?

I probably have more critters here now than before it was a house block. Moving in from outside. 8 pairs of bush thicknees amongst other species.
Sloppy typing... Nice one. I miss living in the bush...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Difference is that when a new development goes in, a ecological assessment should reveal if any of the species that are about to be displaced are from populations that are restricted to that area. And ideally then that the development money doesn't override environmental concerns.

If you are losing vital habitat which is the only home for a species then its a different story of removing a population of a species that is wider ranging. Simplification, but its not just about displacement for some species, as restricted/ vulnerable species can't just be considered "some bird" when they represent whats left of their lineage - despite the pressure to dig things up / build new houses.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Difference is that when a new development goes in, a ecological assessment should reveal if any of the species that are about to be displaced are from populations that are restricted to that area. And ideally then that the development money doesn't override environmental concerns.

If you are losing vital habitat which is the only home for a species then its a different story of removing a population of a species that is wider ranging. Simplification, but its not just about displacement for some species, as restricted/ vulnerable species can't just be considered "some bird" when they represent whats left of their lineage - despite the pressure to dig things up / build new houses.
I know what is meant to go on but I know for fact that if greenies don't step in it doesn't happen in a lot of cases, the greenies stopped a zip line here by proving to the council that a major nesting tree for owls was going to be disturbed, there was nothing mentioned prior to the development. Developers just mow shit down, pay fines and laugh latter. Whether or not it's an endangered animal, you're still displacing an animal from their natural habitat.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I know what is meant to go on but I know for fact that if greenies don't step in it doesn't happen in a lot of cases, the greenies stopped a zip line here by proving to the council that a major nesting tree for owls was going to be disturbed, there was nothing mentioned prior to the development. Developers just mow shit down, pay fines and laugh latter. whether or not it's an endangered animal, you're still displacing an animal from their natural habitat.
Yeah, I get what you're saying and for the most part I do agree - development goes on without much respect for the environment, and often it is left up to independent green groups to step in - which isn't often effective and creates friction.

But there is a big difference around the types of species which are being impacted - rather than individual birds etc having to move house. Its silly to think we can develop without impacting nature, so we need to understand what we are impacting and what species and ecosystems remain viable under proposed development scenarios.