The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I kind of like that she doesn't bother spinning something so bleeding obvious. Scomo and Albo should take note.
Yeah but how is she still in office? She has effectively said to the whole state "well what you gonna do about it?" And I hate to borrow from trump here but lock her up!

At least O'Farrell has the common sense to step down when that bottle of Grange materialised.

Flow-Rider

Burner
They should have been checking to see if there are any connections to the grants that she or close associations have directly financially benefited from.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
At least O'Farrell has the common sense to step down when that bottle of Grange materialised.
It's a little different from that though. Not really any better (using our money to prop up their re-election chances is... yeah) but at least she was honest, even if the "yep we did it but everyone else has too so meh" is probably leaning on that popularity cushion she currently has a bit too hard. If the margins were closer I reckon there'd be a bit more contrition. Or denial.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
It's a little different from that though. Not really any better (using our money to prop up their re-election chances is... yeah) but at least she was honest, even if the "yep we did it but everyone else has too so meh" is probably leaning on that popularity cushion she currently has a bit too hard. If the margins were closer I reckon there'd be a bit more contrition. Or denial.
$100m was enough to put Bridget McKenzie out to pasture, this is 2.5 times the $$.

Gladys knows she’s Teflon at the moment after a successful COVID mission, and she knows there’s no one in her party who will challenge her, and a pretty ineffective opposition. As we’ve seen with the secret relationship, COVID test at the office, and now this, she knows the mea culpa approach is the quickest way to move on and stop it hanging around.

It’s definitely not about honesty or integrity!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think this is much worse. The pork barrel is the tip of the iceberg and we have no idea what else there is going on. Include the deliberate destruction of decision making evidence and to me that already looks a lot worse than a bottle of Grange. We never even found out what the Grange was really linked to. Just knowing it existed was enough. Even then it was just. Post-it left...no body = no murder.

But remember her association with Daryl Maguire.

She is flying too close to the sun IMO.
Exactly! Some of these spending decisions were made to favour him. This is total bullshit!

But as evidenced in my own neighbourhood, when the mayor and a bunch of other developers make cash (or in kind) donations to candidates for and members of the state parliament...nothing really happens even though such donations are specifically prohibited. The walking atm can suck a bag of sweaty dicks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
$100m was enough to put Bridget McKenzie out to pasture, this is 2.5 times the $$.

Gladys knows she’s Teflon at the moment after a successful COVID mission, and she knows there’s no one in her party who will challenge her, and a pretty ineffective opposition. As we’ve seen with the secret relationship, COVID test at the office, and now this, she knows the mea culpa approach is the quickest way to move on and stop it hanging around.

It’s definitely not about honesty or integrity!
And it's bigger. NSW has been on an infrastructure spending spree like no other, very little of which seems to have a cost benefit justified outcome that helps the community. NSW has been on a course environmental destruction as well, all of which favours big private enterprise. There is something big going on here and I am sure that Gladys and her predecessors are tits deep in graft.

NSW open to business...makes a more accurate slogan than open for business.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
And it's bigger. NSW has been on an infrastructure spending spree like no other, very little of which seems to have a cost benefit justified outcome that helps the community. NSW has been on a course environmental destruction as well, all of which favours big private enterprise. There is something big going on here and I am sure that Gladys and her predecessors are tits deep in graft.

NSW open to business...makes a more accurate slogan than open for business.
Yeah but to be fair that's exactly what the previous NSW Labor govt. was doing too. And probably the Libs before that (didn't Greiner have to fall on his sword for some developmental murkiness?)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah but to be fair that's exactly what the previous NSW Labor govt. was doing too. And probably the Libs before that (didn't Greiner have to fall on his sword for some developmental murkiness?)
We have a good record here! Greiner was very greasy.

The last Labor government was out under the microscope pretty hard and only a small number of them were found to be dirty. But they were very dirty and it was made into very big news. It's amazing to think how long Obeid got away with his actions. None of it looked very subtle in hindsight!

The current NSW Labor leader earnt herself a reputation for being plenty clean when she blew the whistle on the carpet bags. But no she is backing up local federal mp regarding the climate change debate. He has previously lost a ministerial position for making inappropriate spending decisions in his portfolio during the Rudd years. And how anyone can think mining jobs are sustainable rather than investing in reduced climate impact blows my mind. So the graft is still grafting.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I am interested to see how the issue that inspired the above image plays out.
Ditto. Could just be crass opportunism while we're dealing with the fallout of the Brereton Report, or an unsubtle signal that we need to start behaving like the demure exporters again and drop all interest in pursuing an independent enquiry into the origins of the pandemic in Wuhan..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ditto. Could just be crass opportunism while we're dealing with the fallout of the Brereton Report, or an unsubtle signal that we need to start behaving like the demure exporters again and drop all interest in pursuing an independent enquiry into the origins of the pandemic in Wuhan..
As for the image; I am pretty sure it is about holding up a mirror for us while we point our finger at them. It is a deflection.

My personal opinion is that they Brereton report is likely just the tip of the iceberg but we won't see much more once we have washed our laundry. I'd like to see a transparent review of things right back to the beginning of our involvement in the "war on terror" starting with the nasty racist old man that forced us into Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'll be dissapointed if we see a trump style forgiveness from the top of those who have been found to perpetrate any war crimes.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
As for the image; I am pretty sure it is about holding up a mirror for us while we point our finger at them. It is a deflection.

My personal opinion is that they Brereton report is likely just the tip of the iceberg but we won't see much more once we have washed our laundry. I'd like to see a transparent review of things right back to the beginning of our involvement in the "war on terror" starting with the nasty racist old man that forced us into Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'll be dissapointed if we see a trump style forgiveness from the top of those who have been found to perpetrate any war crimes.
I'd be very surprised if we see any kind of blanket forgiveness from the powers that be over this. Where's it's going to get ugly / potentially damaging to the national psyche is if say VC Recipient Ben Roberts Smith was found to be involved or some other highly decorated veteran. That will lead to all sorts of uncomfortable discussions around our current and future involvement in wars and peacekeeping missions and confidence about our abilities to project our power properly.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a larger near 20 year review of our foreign involvement though. That just sounds like another hugely expensive Royal Commission our Governments can make appropriate noises about then ignore.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I think the fact that CDF is already walking back plans to strip SOTG of its Meritorious Unit Citation is a pretty strong indicator that we are going to sweep as much of this under the rug as we can, and 'back our boys' rather than face up to some pretty disturbing truths