The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

murrum

Banned
I will be going to the PAddy I rish Pub Malone/O'Rouke/O'sheas across teh road from the embassy from Saturday afternoon onwards to cheer the results and laugh at the tearful Liberal LLLAAAAAAA' HOOOOO; ZZAAAA' HHEEEEEERRRZZZ!

*:p
There is gonna to be some good parties sat night - and as long as we dont get a Don's Party outcome (looking less likely) all will be good (although from memory Don did alright anyway ;) )

Whats everyone doing?

Myself - how to vote cards first up and a fair bit of chin wagging with the townsfolk till lunch, bit of a ride or surf or ride in the arvo, then down to a friends property for a gathering of the True Believers, with a pre prepared effigy of the weasle himself ready for some medievil burnin at the stake....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA (evil cackle)....Oh and beer, lots of beer. :D :D

I can almost taste the relief, its been a long time coming...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
tody I baought sone coopers for a pre emprive electoral strie of the dirty arat carnto!

I got my own prem emption you little farko!

Fa

fuck off john, O never loved you!!!!

DJR

Likes Dirt
tody I baought sone coopers for a pre emprive electoral strie of the dirty arat carnto!

I got my own prem emption you little farko!

Fa

fuck off john, O never loved you!!!!
Johnny, can you ban yourself for such shit grammar?

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Labor by 12 seats :D:D:D:D

Tomorrows plan -

1. Sleep in (going to football followed by Jeff Lang tonight - many beers to be consumed)
2. Vote - laugh at Libs and Democrats outside the electoral booth
3. DH when it cools down
4. Start on the beers as soon as the ABC coverage begins
5. Watch Howard's tantrum around 10 pm
6. Head out to watch Kaki King do some funky guitar moves with a feeling of great satisfaction.

bazza

look at me
Due to my shock and outrage over the voting choices of Bazza..., who I used to think was a fully squared away dude, but now just seems like another child lost in the wilderness*
when your not in my electroate you don't understand the options I have to vote for. Outgoing, informed and educated options aren't really available. Our 2 independents are a taxi driver who wants to see the minimum wage raised to $20 an hour and the pension the full working wage that retirees recieved during their working life and heaps of other crazy shit. The other one is just as bad with some wacked out ideas but no real ways of improving anything. Our greens candidate is an idiot, and again the labour candidate just has no idea about anything. Your taking this from the context of regions you have experience with and trying to fit it into this one. You still didn't answer the questions I raised either! Crazy bastard!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I can't really answer it. Probably the same thing if they do more than just scrape in.

As for your voting, I understand that I don't know your region, etc. It just really surprises me that a seemingly progressive like yourself would vote for conservatives. But it's alright, I'll only ban you for a week if the Libs get up. :p

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So it's the eve of the election and I'm rock solid on who I'm voting for.

Voting for Rudd - initially my family had an input who I was going to vote for (I'll admit that). But being in a position where work choices etc are to my detremit, I fucking hate Howard. Other policies labor have to offer are much more to my liking. Environmental (sure the policies are no-where as good as the greens, but are hell-uva lot better than Howards) policies labour have to offer suit me. Same deal with upgraded broad-band and it's coverage. May be a bit of a pipedream, but fuck - better than nothing.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
what will the effects of a labour landslide be?

i will vote libs because the local labour and all others are brainless dicks basically.

i am not sure who i want in power.

would a tight split mean that any actions over the next 2-3 years going to be sluggish and result in getting blocked and comprimised to the point where they are pointless anyway and missed the opportunity?

lots of questions. i guess only time will tell. at least its going to be interesting.
Bazza, I'll try and answer your questions.

Even with a Labor landslide, I expect that the senate will have the balance of power held by the Greens. This last term we've seen what having the house of review acting as a house of rubber stamping means and many people weren't too pleased by what they saw.

Your local Labor candidate may well not have a clue, but because party rules make it very very unlikely that they'll ever cross the floor, they'd be voting along party lines not along their brainless dick personal lines on the national issues anyhow. This means that a vote for the Labor dude is effectively a vote for what Rudd has said he'll implement. Not sure how often Libs cross the floor, so I can't comment on if a vote for the Liberal dude is a vote for what Howard has promised to implement (for whatever you feel that promise is worth on past performance...) Same, National/Democrat I don't know how much they cross the floor. Green I think are permitted a concience vote on all issues but to get one downstairs would be highly unlikely anyhow.

Historically, the only party who has ever deliberately blocked legislation in the upper house thereby preventing the elected government from being able to govern and brought the country to a grinding halt is the Liberal party, back pre the 75 dismissal. You may find that a senate with a balance of power held by the Greens will require stuff to be amended but things will still get passed once they're deemed tolerable by the government in power and whoever the folks are holding the balance.

I don't care much who holds the lower house even though I'd like to see the back of Howard, but I damn sure don't want him controlling the senate any more. And for similar reasons I'm not keen on Labor having upstairs / downstairs held in their own right either. so for me it'll be green up in the red house and Labor down where the carpets are emerald in colour.