The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Minority government should be a good thing but we have a history of those holding the balance being greedy. They pass bills that they really should be opposed to in order to get some cream for their constituents. But that is still better than a rubber-stamp of diahorrea.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
Curious why you would think this. As @rangersac says they function well elsewhere.

It’s democracy with checks and balances at work.

Wasn’t there some statistic from Gillard’s minority govt that they passed more legislation than any other?

Negotiation should be part and parcel of government.
didn't labor back than pass the ndis which has turned into a complete fucking shitshow?

combine the ndis with how the nbn turned out and the country has pissed away trillions of dollars for shit that barely works and gets rorted day in day out like a cheap brothel whore back in the 1700s.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
didn't labor back than pass the ndis which has turned into a complete fucking shitshow?

combine the ndis with how the nbn turned out and the country has pissed away trillions of dollars for shit that barely works and gets rorted day in day out like a cheap brothel whore back in the 1700s.
But that’s not because of minority governments that because our politicians are shit. Cue everyone’s point that it’s because our political parties are shit that we get minority governments.

also I believe the coalition was a minority government same as Labor was with the Greens. Just because you do a deal before the election doesn’t change the fact you can’t make government yourself. And to backup @Tubbsy point the Nats were really greedy!

Minlak

custom titis

The NDIS has done amazing things for people - it turned into a shit show not from Govt intervention but from people seeing it as a cash cow and rorting the system

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The NDIS has done amazing things for people - it turned into a shit show not from Govt intervention but from people seeing it as a cash cow and rorting the system

I'd like to support @Minlak here. The NDIS has empowered a lot of people. I worked in the industry during the covid lock downs and saw some great things that would not have been possible without funding. But the gravy is easy to see and just like any other aspect of human existence there are people taking advantage and exploiting the vulnerable or the system where they can.

Sky_Collapsed

regardless all this is in the past and sadly tasmania has now got a minority government and with greens and lambie in i dont see it been anything positive.

ill genuinely be surprised if it turns out to be good which id much rather be wrong than right tbh

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Still don’t understand your reasoning against minority govt vs outgoing , but hope it works out well for Tassie.

Our system of government is set up to, hopefully, represent the wishes of the people not just the wealthy and influential.

It will never yield perfect results but absolute power in the hands of labor alternating with liberal is not the way IMO

Sky_Collapsed

Still don’t understand your reasoning against minority govt vs outgoing ,
because they rarely work out well. I remember the absolute damage that was done when labor was in minority government with the greens way back when than there was the 07-15 era in federal politics.

I can't honestly think of minority government that has worked out super well, hence my annoyance with the situation.

It will never yield perfect results but absolute power in the hands of labor alternating with liberal is not the way IMO
I agree but is the solution really to give absolute power to a select few individuals that can make or break an entire government?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
the absolute damage that was done when labor was in minority government with the greens way back when than there was the 07-15 era in federal politics.
Can you be specific here? Plenty of poor decisions made by other governments? Libs/Nat’s not a minority government?

I can see you’re pissed about certain policies, but I don’t understand what minority government is causing this ill feeling. Suggests you’re annoyed about the specifics of some amendments. Which is what I’m curious about.

select few individuals that can make or break an entire government?
Examples?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t begrudge anyone the fury and frustration at government waste and inaction, whatever your preferred flavour.

But to me minority government seems a positive on balance. I like the current federal cross bench situation for example.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I agree but is the solution really to give absolute power to a select few individual's
Man, if you don't like this about minority government - you're going to hate majority governments!

Mild ribbing aside, I think minority governments are the best outcome for all. No one party can force anything they want through, they actually have to negotiate with other parties/independents. This makes them all fearful of losing their seats if they don't either voice or try to act upon the wishes of their constituents, which is one of the only times the average Australian has any chance to have any sway on the political decisions made by "our" elected representatives (ie: instead of lobbyists greasing their most sympathetic candidates, or majority governments throwing cash only at the electorates that put them in power). Good government should try to find the best compromise for all people, not just curry favour for those most able to pay for it...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Was trying to work out why so many people voted liberal, then I remembered how many AFL team/stadium bumper stickers there are driving around. Not the most “sophisticated” population in Australia…

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Was trying to work out why so many people voted liberal, then I remembered how many AFL team/stadium bumper stickers there are driving around. Not the most “sophisticated” population in Australia…
What is this now?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
because they rarely work out well. I remember the absolute damage that was done when labor was in minority government with the greens way back when than there was the 07-15 era in federal politics.
The only minority government between 07 and 15 was the Gillard/Rudd government from 2010 - 2013. All others were majority. And as @Tubbsy noted the Gillard government was actually pretty functional despite Abbott crying incessantly about stopping the boats and $200 roast lamb dinners

The other furphy about majority governments is they are barely a majority, usually in the region of 51-52% primary vote. From that perspective a minority government that needs the support of a third party or a coalition of independents can represent a higher proportion of voters views.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...and then, even if the government holds a majority they need to work with the senate. It is not often they will hold a majority in the senate as well.

Just a bunch of window punching bogans.

Yeah but that window was looking at me funny.