The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Ryan

Radministrator
If we discount the comedy "johnny" option and divide his preferences equally between Labor and The Greens, we find one thing is certain;

Mountain bike riders as a demographic are more supportive of The Greens than the general community. This is strange to me as, of all the parties to choose from, it is they who would almost certainly seek to restrict our access to trails due to the environmental damage we cause.

24seven

Likes Dirt
Yes because labor always fucks up and spends the ki$$y!

ie.
over spending on education
spending monies on minorities groups quims
conning the worker that they are about them

The list goes on and on...........
How exactly can a Government over spend on education? Sure if all of the budget was going into education then there would be a problem. It's not though is it. Education, amongst other things, helps to secure the future of Australia.

Also, to those on this forum who think that climate change is a myth concocted by money grabbing hypocrites intent on taking money from the pockets of hard working people why haven't the Liberals jumped at the chance to do so? Isn't that their specialty?

Changing to a more sustainable , yes that means the current way of doing business is unsustainable, economy would not cause it to slow down. It would create new industries and jobs which would offset reduction in sectors of the economy that are contributing to climate change. With re-education workers who lose their jobs because of this could find new ones.

At the end of the day the economy cannot keep growing indefinitely, which is what Peter Costello seems to think he can deliver. If it slows down now because Labor tried to do something about climate change I can live with that, at least they tried.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Actually, the unemployment rate has more to do with the way unemployment is measured and the large amount of employment that has come from selling resources and services to the China boom.

liamo

Likes Dirt
Mountain bike riders as a demographic are more supportive of The Greens than the general community. This is strange to me
Seems reasonable, compared to the general community we've got a greater exposure to, and appreciation of, the natural world. Why wouldn't we see common ground with people who also hold the environment to be precious?

HardNRG

Likes Bikes
Do you know how Howard actually achieved such low unemployment yet also low interest rates (for the most part)?

Workchoices. Sure, a lot of people have work, but the conditions in which they work are decreasing. Now employers have much more bargaining power and can pay workers much less. This obviously decreases the amount these people are going to spend and thus inflation. Also the housing crisis has also helped those figures along greatly in Howard's favour with people having far less disposable income than usual, even without the recent interest rate rises.

Also the resources boom is going to continue on regardless of who is in government. Howard takes credit for Australia's booming economy but really the land is just doing us a favor. The rest of the world is in such a position that our resources are sought after and a Rudd government won't change the minds of other countries.

BTW how old are you?
17, why does age come into what i stated?

24seven

Likes Dirt
If we discount the comedy "johnny" option and divide his preferences equally between Labor and The Greens, we find one thing is certain;

Mountain bike riders as a demographic are more supportive of The Greens than the general community. This is strange to me as, of all the parties to choose from, it is they who would almost certainly seek to restrict our access to trails due to the environmental damage we cause.
Not really. Most of the Greens candidates I've spoken to past and present are keen for more of a custodian role for the environment. If a section of the natural environment is used by somebody for a specific purpose it creates a value to it for that user group therefore they have an interest in seeing it managed and conserved.

It's been proven now that mountain bikers and mountain bike tracks can exist in a sustainable manner or use existing areas that have been heavily damaged by other practices.

In fact in Adelaide Peter Solly, who helped get Eagle Mountain Bike Park started, is running for The Greens in the seat of Adelaide.

Obviously there are some areas where mountain bikes would not be permitted but in general I think most people would agree with this approach. Some places are just to important and/or fragile to let mountain bikers into.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Also the damage we cause is very confined and animals can easily cross these tracks without to many bikers getting in their way. We are hardly environmental hazards and I don't think the greens want people to just get out of the land all together, they want people use it in sustainable ways and take care of it.

liamo

Likes Dirt
I hope I don't sound condescending but, the older I get the more I realise that age/experience/education is important in these matters.
But that's not the point is it? The point is that everyone's opinion and vote is as important as each others. If 'the youth' have got it wrong do 'we' have anyone else to blame but ourselves and the legacy we've given them? Age/experience/education doesn't make your opinion right, JWH has at least 2 out of those 3 on most of us here...

Of course, none of that applies if you're 17. Then you don't get to vote :p

nizai

Likes Dirt
YOU BEAUTY!

Very happy chappies over here. We're about 6 stellas each down and about to open a silky smooth 01 Cab Sav baby!

*dances*

N

Viv92

Eats Squid
Just out of interest, how many people here vote for a different party than that of their parents? I'd be interested to know how many people changed their minds from how they were educated as children.

Also how many people are swinging voters?

nizai

Likes Dirt
I voted Green, my Dad voted Labor, but has previously voted for the Libs since 1996.

My stance politically comes from ALOT of reading in my more recent years since I was 26, previous to that I had little interest for it.

N

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
Sweet Justice at last. Johnny H is gone baby gone. Alas, 3 years of Rudd haha. I watched the results with some Libbys and fuck their arguments were so specious. It all came down to unions and economy. How has Howard managed to brainwash so many people into thinking that that's all that a government does ?

Regarding previous posts.... Labor is about the same as Liberals were in 1996 when I first voted for them. They have gone extreme Right along with the USA and labor no longer represents unashamed Leftist ideals. The balance will return by the next election once some of the state Labor gov's are voted out. Only then will be start to get new ideas on how to run the country rather than this softly softly catch the monkey approach we are seeing today.

ROCK THE BOAT

Don't rock the boat honey..

ROCK THE BOAT !!!

Ryan

Radministrator
My Dad is diehard Liberal, Mum is a swinging voter, I voted Labor with preferences to Greens in the Lower House this time around. I'd consider myself a pretty diehard bleeding-heart-pinko-commy-ABC-watching-lefty. Voted Greens with preferences to Labor last election.

scooter

Likes Bikes
Just something I noticed today when handing out how to vote cards for the greens, there's an astounding number of people who have little to no idea how our electoral system works. Constantly people were telling me that they'd vote green in the senate, but couldn't vote for our local candidate because they wanted to get rid of the libs and would therefore vote labor. When told that they could vote for the greens and then have that vote flow on to labor if required, they didn't believe me.

Edit: my parents are both rusted on libs supporters, using specious arguments and the ever present "the unions are out to gut you and steal your job!" tactics. My grandmother is further to the left than I am, and I'm pretty far left. I've voted greens with preferences to labor in every election I can recall.

Last edited:

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im young as well (first timing voting today) but find the "if it aint broke don't fix it" attitude a bit strange. From what I've gathered things are starting to break pretty damn quickly and I'd rather try and prevent these things from further happening than just ignore them and focus on money.

Having said that nothing much will change under Labor, if you didnt read or watch any news you wouldn't notice any change for the time being.