The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You only have the right to an opinion if you can back it up with reason or fact.
you can't just say the sky is green and then shout that you're entitled to your opinion
The "reason" is self evident, not that it's worthless research, but that it's taxpayers money and it shouldn't be spent frivolously. If we followed this line of thinking all the way, there would be a bottomless pit in to which the govt can pour money.

I want a tightarse in govt that calls a spade a spade.

Ivan

Eats Squid
So now that The Coalition have the house of Reps, the magical confidence fairy will be out sprinkling her confidence dust over consumers and business!

Retail sales to the moon! Capex to the moon! Profits to the...moon! LOL.

Abbot and Co. have taken over an Australia that is struggling with an over-valued dollar, high wages and huge private debt with an economy that's just started a structural change from mining capex led growth to ???????.

It's probably the biggest challenge ever faced by an Australian government (economically anyway).

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Has there ever been one of those, in any country of the world, ever?
Good point. It's only a question of relative waste at best.

Though, possibly of interest is that the strength of lib polling over the last couple of years has forced the ALP towards fiscal conservatism , as it did with the refugee debacle. That's what competent opposition is all about- not just in the winning, but in influencing policy and direction from the cross benches.

A note able difference for instance in the last couple of years of John Howard's govt where no influence on JH policies seemed evident, only politics of personality.

John U

MTB Precision
So now that The Coalition have the house of Reps, the magical confidence fairy will be out sprinkling her confidence dust over consumers and business!

Retail sales to the moon! Capex to the moon! Profits to the...moon! LOL.

Abbot and Co. have taken over an Australia that is struggling with an over-valued dollar, high wages and huge private debt with an economy that's just started a structural change from mining capex led growth to ???????.

It's probably the biggest challenge ever faced by an Australian government (economically anyway).
It might not be so bad. The LNP might stop talking down the economy now, and if Labour don't talk the economy down like the LNP in opposition then maybe the economy might pick up a bit. The LNP's response to the economic crisis in their campaign shows that afair bit of their talking of the economy down over the last 6 years was fantasy.

Huge private debt, look at the fucking stupid price of housing. Neither side have made any mention of it in the campaign. Their idea of fixing it is to give out more middle class welfare which will only succeed in push the price of housing up further. It's fucked in the head. Neither of the big 2 parties will do anything about it.

Ivan

Eats Squid
It might not be so bad. The LNP might stop talking down the economy now, and if Labour don't talk the economy down like the LNP in opposition then maybe the economy might pick up a bit. The LNP's response to the economic crisis in their campaign shows that afair bit of their talking of the economy down over the last 6 years was fantasy.

Huge private debt, look at the fucking stupid price of housing. Neither side have made any mention of it in the campaign. Their idea of fixing it is to give out more middle class welfare which will only succeed in push the price of housing up further. It's fucked in the head. Neither of the big 2 parties will do anything about it.

This relates to my earlier sarcastic jibe at the confidence fairy.

A politician talking it up or down means little. Peoples opinion on the economy is based on there interactions at work and how thy're coping with there personal finances.

If the fundamentals are good, people know it, regardless of some politician telling them different. The opposite is also true.

If a tradie is turning away work because he's too busy, and charging what he wants, then he's hardly going to think we're headed for tough times.

If a secretary is getting told her budget's just been cut, there's no money for a bonus this year and the company has put a freeze on hiring new people this year, how confident is she going to feel about her future?

Significant changes to policy do have an impact.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
WHICH OF YOU CUNTS VOTED FOR PAULINE FUCKING HANSON?!?!?!?!!

Jesus christ. 3 years of listening to that fucking voice and her retarded comments in the media?

Worse news than the Mad Monk getting into office.

Fuck me.

Bodin

GMBC
WHICH OF YOU CUNTS VOTED FOR PAULINE FUCKING HANSON?!?!?!?!!

Jesus christ. 3 years of listening to that fucking voice and her retarded comments in the media?

Worse news than the Mad Monk getting into office.

Fuck me.
LOL. If people weren't so offended by swearing, I'd sig this whole quote.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
What's the go with the ALP blaming leadership tensions as the reason they lost?

They need to get rid of that blame game - you can't improve until you cop it on the chin and take a good hard look at yourselves. Tanya plibersek carrying on what a great govt they were and were only chucked out because they couldn't manage themselves is just delusional shit that keeps you from improving.

Still canton believe that K Rudd did such a bad job in his speech last night - 25minutes of sycophantic dross. Regretfully, TA was unable to stand above it with a simple acceptance, and was goaded into rubbing it in.

al_

Likes Dirt
They need to get rid of that blame game - you can't improve until you cop it on the chin and take a good hard look at yourselves. Tanya plibersek carrying on what a great govt they were and were only chucked out because they couldn't manage themselves is just delusional shit that keeps you from improving.
How do you interpret what happened then? Do you think people were voting for a fantastic policy alternative?

Good to see the most highly educated seat in the country had a 44% primary for the Greens. That was a great result for common sense, compassionate and evidence-based policy. Adam is a fantastic member.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
How do you interpret what happened then? Do you think people were voting for a fantastic policy alternative?

Good to see the most highly educated seat in the country had a 44% primary for the Greens. That was a great result for common sense, compassionate and evidence-based policy. Adam is a fantastic member.
It's not for me to interpret for the labor party or set their policy. Bob Hawke last night sure wasn't blaming it on leadership tension or party management. It's a difficult problem, but you can never find the solution to the problem if you don't acknowledge you have one.

Where in heavens name did you get the evidence that Melbourne is the most highly educated seat in the country ?

And how about the senate, motorist enthusiast party in vic, sporting party in WA, another palmer in tas? Lol, how the hell did the motoring enthusiast party get a guernsey.

Last edited:

al_

Likes Dirt
It's not for me to interpret for the labor party or set their policy. Bob Hawke last night sure wasn't blaming it on leadership tension or party management. It's a difficult problem, but you can never find the solution to the problem if you don't acknowledge you have one.

Where in heavens name did you get the evidence that Melbourne is the most highly educated seat in the country ?

And how about the senate, motorist enthusiast party in vic, sporting party in WA, another palmer in tas? Lol, how the hell did the motoring enthusiast party get a guernsey.
You seem so happy to identify what wasn't responsible that I just assumed you had some idea what was.

I saw a study that demonstrated the Melbourne electorate has the highest levels of education in the country too. Two parties have quoted it so I figure it is credible.

I think that if Labor had kept their house in order this could never have happened. Abbott isn't a credible alternative to a credible government, and only become viable when people have reason to doubt the ALP leaders.

I met hundreds of voters across seven booths yesterday. The ALP voters were primarily interested in how we got through the GFC, the Greens voters were talking about the environment, and the LNP voters talked about how much they hated Rudd's face and just wanted change.

I bailed up some LNP volunteers too and oddly they had little more conviction. They generally talked about the fabricated economic crisis, or need for change, and their philosophical preference for a conservative model. People with philosophically conservative beliefs aren't swinging voters though, so that isn't what it was about.

Australia has never wanted Tony Abbott as a leader - he has been around forever and generally regarded as an incompetent lunatic. Something changed though, and it all started when good policies with bi-partisan support came under attack by incredibly wealthy people with vested interests. That is the sad part of all this for me. Abbott became the face of the self-interested minorities that launched an unprecedented attack on our democratic process in 2009.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
8 booths?

Delivering sausages or an active party member?

I have no political affiliations - lol @ generally regarded as an incompetent lunatic , I have it on very good authority Bob Browne believes he is omniscient.

:D

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
If there is any justice in the world Sophie M will get the flick - but looking less likely.

Only positive was the butter tarts at the polling booth - epic Canadian baked goodness.

I cannot express my loathing of K Rudd enough - sycophantic, passive aggressive, self centreed, empty shell of a human is a compliment for the guy.
Glad he got the chance to lead because now there will be no question of where his focus lay - Kevin.
Please just go and leave parliament and let Labor rebuild.

al_

Likes Dirt
8 booths?

Delivering sausages or an active party member?

I have no political affiliations - lol @ generally regarded as an incompetent lunatic , I have it on very good authority Bob Browne believes he is omniscient.

:D
What's that about eight booths? I'm not a party member. I work with the 'media' and have been helping a very competent candidate.

I had a decent chat to Bob a week ago and can assure you he thinks nothing of the sort. He is actually incredibly self-depricating and critical of his own efforts. It was awful hearing somebody who has achieved so much talking himself down the way he did.

I am only interested in quality debate and policy. I think our capacity to have a quality debate was undermined by what happened in 2009 and set us up for this disaster. Criticise me personally all you want, but I have no alignment. Use facts and you might be convincing.

Last Tuesday the ALP leadership vote was penciled in for next wednesday. I don't know if that has changed now, but it will be interesting. I think our parliament needs some talent, but I will be surprised if Bill steps up at this point. I hope the vote is moved was I was meant to meet with him and will be fascinated to hear what he has to say.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
What's that about eight booths? I'm not a party member. I work with the 'media' and have been helping a very competent candidate.

I had a decent chat to Bob a week ago and can assure you he thinks nothing of the sort. He is actually incredibly self-depricating and critical of his own efforts. It was awful hearing somebody who has achieved so much talking himself down the way he did.

I am only interested in quality debate and policy. I think our capacity to have a quality debate was undermined by what happened in 2009 and set us up for this disaster. Criticise me personally all you want, but I have no alignment. Use facts and you might be convincing.

Last Tuesday the ALP leadership vote was penciled in for next wednesday. I don't know if that has changed now, but it will be interesting. I think our parliament needs some talent, but I will be surprised if Bill steps up at this point. I hope the vote is moved was I was meant to meet with him and will be fascinated to hear what he has to say.
The same Bill thatswitched his alliances three times in the last labor term?