The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Scott Morrison's new role revealed
Scott Morrison’s next job has been announced: the former Australian prime minister is joining international advisory and consulting firm American Global Strategies.

AGS was founded and is chaired by Robert O’Brien, who was national security adviser to Donald Trump while he was in the White House. O’Brien’s name has been floated as a possible vice president option, or secretary of state in a potential second Trump term. He is considered an anti-China hawk.

In a press release overnight, AGS announced that Morrison was joining the firm as a “non-executive vice chairman”.

O’Brien said:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison is widely regarded as one of the most consequential world leaders of the last decade, presiding over unprecedented changes to Australia’s foreign and defense policies.
As American Global Strategies’ non-Executive Vice Chairman, Prime Minister Morrison will bring high-level relationships and unique geopolitical insights to our clients.
Morrison was quoted saying:

I’m looking forward to working once again with Ambassador O’Brien and the whole AGS team, especially here in the Indo-Pacific. Robert and I enjoyed a great working relationship when I was Prime Minister. Together we can draw on our combined networks and experience in the region to help clients navigate a highly dynamic geopolitical landscape that presents risks and opportunities.
And it’s not just in the defense and security space. Supply chains, technological change, resource security, energy transition and new types of partnerships between the private and public sectors are all impacted by the world becoming an ever more complicated place. There’s a lot to unpack here and I’m pleased to be teaming up with people at AGS who know what they’re talking about and know what to do about it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Scott Morrison's new role revealed
Scott Morrison’s next job has been announced: the former Australian prime minister is joining international advisory and consulting firm American Global Strategies.
Lining himself up for a plum spot for when Biden gets punted and leverage that he worked with Trump. Trump can continue calling him a 'titanium man' which I consider an insult to the GOAT of all metals.

I don't want Trump to get back in either but Joe's shakey image doesn't inspire much confidence even if the US economy is doing well.
Oh well...... Maybe Xi might like us eventually.

safreek

In the beginning the universe was created. This has mad e a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I'm sort of neutral on the tax cuts as someone who will benefit a bit but not much. But far more annoyed that almost none of the discussion has looked at actual tax rates and how they've moved effectively since last adjusted. Yes, people earning near the 180k limit will benefit but how much have each group been affected by rises over time.almost zero analysis looks at that, rich save a bit equals bad. Have they paid more over the last 7 years? Who knows.

It seems a very one dimensional discussion right now. No government will commit to tax brackets that
You are right about the universe.

The way everyone wants the government to fund every little thing these days I think keep the tax rates as they are and increase the gst by 5%.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Lining himself up for a plum spot for when Biden gets punted and leverage that he worked with Trump. Trump can continue calling him a 'titanium man' which I consider an insult to the GOAT of all metals.

I don't want Trump to get back in either but Joe's shakey image doesn't inspire much confidence even if the US economy is doing well.
Oh well...... Maybe Xi might like us eventually.
If Trump gets back in watch America become the hand maid's tale. I still do not understand how a crook and a traitor is allowed to run. I suppose I have to respect the presumption of innocence until the trial finds him guilty but anyone else would not make bail and be held in remand. Surely there must be some kind of interlocutory injunction that can be made preventing him from running (while not restraining his right of free speech and being a douche bag).

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
You are right about the universe.

The way everyone wants the government to fund every little thing these days I think keep the tax rates as they are and increase the gst by 5%.
I would disagree with most of that.

I don't think many reasonable people want the government to fund every little thing. People want the government to look after 2 things: long term items that support Australia for the future like education, infrastructure etc. These are never addressed by private companies as they don't make tangible profit. The other is to support the population to keep people at a minimum standard of living, health and safety.

Gst is functionally a regressive tax and bumps up living costs. We should be taxing people's luxuries harder, not their ability to look after basics when so many people are struggling to meet their basic needs.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If Trump gets back in watch America become the hand maid's tale. I still do not understand how a crook and a traitor is allowed to run. I suppose I have to respect the presumption of innocence until the trial finds him guilty but anyone else would not make bail and be held in remand. Surely there must be some kind of interlocutory injunction that can be made preventing him from running (while not restraining is right of free speech and being a douche bag).
Agreed. You would think it would be a huge red flag liability to have him running again with what seem to be daily court appearances and all of messy things mostly of his own doing orbiting around him. The mind boggles.

The die hard Trumpers must get inspired that he is here on a mission from God to liberate the masses so he can do no wrong. Trump loves to jump up and down about the rule of law except when he believes that it shouldn't apply to him. Then it turns into a 'witchhunt from the deep state' kind of thing to hose it all down.

It is nuts all over and I feel for the sane Americans that must also see all of this crazy unfolding again.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah I dunno the answer. But I do like the idea of taxing luxuries harder. Tightening up tax breaks and mechanisms that already exist for wealthier folks is another.

What if we said tax breaks on your first investment property but none after that? Then all those mum and dad investors we hear about whenever the topic comes up can't complain because surely if you are on a modest income you won't have more than one investment property?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Thing is politics is like a religion over there. People feel very strongly about it even if they choose not to vote. It's weird. I think in my years of working here politics raised its head around election time or when some policy was enacted that was unpopular or crazy etc. Certainly not a day to day topic. While I was in the US I heard something pretty much every day and even got asked on multiple occasions my thoughts on this or that. Might have been atypical but seemed the norm. I actually asked if the public in general was that interested and was told it is something most are passionate about.

LPG

likes thicc birds
What if we said tax breaks on your first investment property but none after that? Then all those mum and dad investors we hear about whenever the topic comes up can't complain because surely if you are on a modest income you won't have more than one investment property?
My view is that investment into existing property should be discouraged to be well below the current level. Investing in existing property drives the prices up and makes it harder on businesses and people earning a living. Businesses have to pay more for their premesis to operate from and more to their employees just to cover their rent/high mortgages. It makes Australia less competitive globally as it makes us cost more to do the same thing.

In contrast, investing in local businesses/shares gives businesses more capital to grow their businesses. Imagine if 50% of investment went from residential housing into growing local businesses. There would be more job opportunities and less upwards pressure on homes/premesis. The only downside is the shift scares people who own property including myself but it needs to happen to look after the future of the country instead of increasing the divide between haves and have nots.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Investment properties are needed for renters so I was thinking more along the lines of reducing the tax deductions claimable for each property you have. Something like letting them claim 100% on the first place then 80% for the second, etc.

Also, I think there needs to be something to discourage people from owning untenanted properties.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The absolute best taxes are inheritance taxes and land taxes. Progressive, hard to avoid and encourage resources being used productively. But like most things in life, people absolutely loathe the best policy option.

I agree that Australian Govts try to cover too much poorly. We would be better served by Govts being more focused on key areas and regulating and enforcing them better.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Investment properties are needed for renters so I was thinking more along the lines of reducing the tax deductions claimable for each property you have. Something like letting them claim 100% on the first place then 80% for the second, etc.

Also, I think there needs to be something to discourage people from owning untenanted properties.
I have more than 1 investment property and both my wife and I work (so we can die and our kids can spend it all! I have shown them how to spend on expensive bikes). At first it seems like you are getting a bit of help but as you pay them off that opportunity to claim the interest expenses reduces and of course as it goes from a loss to a profit you will get taxed on that like all other income.

The other point to make once you do have an investment property it is easier to get more because as your equity in A) your home and B) your investment property(s) rise you can borrow more. Depends how highly geared (how much risk) you want to go. Even though it is real estate (safe as houses mate!) there are still risks, right now with such high occupancy rates they aren't that obvious, but I can tell you in the past there have been times where the vacancy rate goes up. During those times you need to still be able to service the mortgages and that's when people get into trouble and have a fire sale and possibly losing any capital gain, especially if they bought when the market peaked - lose, lose.

So right now, it all looks rosy but even now, one bad tenant can ruin things. I had these 2 young ladies in my unit that refused to open the windows (too cold) or turn on the exhaust fans (electricity costs) while they were taking showers and then tried to claim for damages caused by mildew and mold. I still had to pay to have mold removers come in and clear the place and go to a QCAT hearing to straighten the matter out. They wanted to break the lease and not be held liable to the outstanding term if I could not get another tenant. Fortunately, for them it wasn't vacant long but I was still out of pocket for the mold removal. I was lucky that is all it cost I suppose, while they were not vindictive they really accepted no responsibility for their actions.

So there is a balance. Mum and dad investors help with supply, so it's a balancing act. Foreign investors get no negative gearing tax break, EXCEPT, on new properties - which increases the supply. In fact they cannot buy existing properties only new ones which was designed to increase the rental stocks but it hasn't because there are ways around that. So I have to agree something needs to be done about all these empty properties but also tighter regulation to prevent foreign investment finding its way into the existing market because they can afford to outbid and push up prices in the market.

The thing is a lot of people like a rising market. Peter Dutton will always criticize any measures to put downward pressure on the market and say poor mum and dad who worked hard won't realise a profit. But he's no economist and just a dim wit that likes to throw spanners because he thinks that's what good opposition leaders do and rack up a score. Sorry it's easy to get started on that bloke, you can't help but compare him with Turnbull. Progressively the Liberal Party have down graded from Turnbull (Lexus Landcruiser) to Morrison (Toyota Landcrusier) to Dutton (Morris Minor).

So I think the lever to push, to increase supply, is to restrict negative gearing to new properties, for everyone, especially in times like these. All foreign investment and real estate purchases need to be restricted and enforced to new only, and when they are found to have bypassed regulations, the property should be confiscated, with no compensation - that will send a pretty clear message.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have more than 1 investment property and both my wife and I work (so we can die and our kids can spend it all! I have shown them how to spend on expensive bikes). At first it seems like you are getting a bit of help but as you pay them off that opportunity to claim the interest expenses reduces and of course as it goes from a loss to a profit you will get taxed on that like all other income.

The other point to make once you do have an investment property it is easier to get more because as your equity in A) your home and B) your investment property(s) rise you can borrow more. Depends how highly geared (how much risk) you want to go. Even though it is real estate (safe as houses mate!) there are still risks, right now with such high occupancy rates they aren't that obvious, but I can tell you in the past there have been times where the vacancy rate goes up. During those times you need to still be able to service the mortgages and that's when people get into trouble and have a fire sale and possibly losing any capital gain, especially if they bought when the market peaked - lose, lose.

So right now, it all looks rosy but even now, one bad tenant can ruin things. I had these 2 young ladies in my unit that refused to open the windows (too cold) or turn on the exhaust fans (electricity costs) while they were taking showers and then tried to claim for damages caused by mildew and mold. I still had to pay to have mold removers come in and clear the place and go to a QCAT hearing to straighten the matter out. They wanted to break the lease and not be held liable to the outstanding term if I could not get another tenant. Fortunately, for them it wasn't vacant long but I was still out of pocket for the mold removal. I was lucky that is all it cost I suppose, while they were not vindictive they really accepted no responsibility for their actions.

So there is a balance. Mum and dad investors help with supply, so it's a balancing act. Foreign investors get no negative gearing tax break, EXCEPT, on new properties - which increases the supply. In fact they cannot buy existing properties only new ones which was designed to increase the rental stocks but it hasn't because there are ways around that. So I have to agree something needs to be done about all these empty properties but also tighter regulation to prevent foreign investment finding its way into the existing market because they can afford to outbid and push up prices in the market.

The thing is a lot of people like a rising market. Peter Dutton will always criticize any measures to put downward pressure on the market and say poor mum and dad who worked hard won't realise a profit. But he's no economist and just a dim wit that likes to throw spanners because he thinks that's what good opposition leaders do and rack up a score. Sorry it's easy to get started on that bloke, you can't help but compare him with Turnbull. Progressively the Liberal Party have down graded from Turnbull (Lexus Landcruiser) to Morrison (Toyota Landcrusier) to Dutton (Morris Minor).

So I think the lever to push, to increase supply, is to restrict negative gearing to new properties, for everyone, especially in times like these. All foreign investment and real estate purchases need to be restricted and enforced to new only, and when they are found to have bypassed regulations, the property should be confiscated, with no compensation - that will send a pretty clear message.
Oi, don’t be insulting to Morris Minors - they were a cool little thing. I think you meant Dutton is a Yaris Cross ;)

scblack

Leucocholic
is funny to hear LMP now framing this as a "broken promise" if labor alters them.. when it was LNP that comitted us to them.
They just don't want to provide media bites saying that they support the STG3 cuts for their mates...
You talking about the Stage 3 tax cuts that Labor voted in to legislation? You mean the Stage 3 tax cuts that Albanese and Chalmers committed themselves to maintain over 100 times at the recent election?

Labor committed us (and themselves) to this Stage 3.

But don't let facts get in the way of your post.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
But don't let facts get in the way of your post.
Read a good one on Fakebook this morning.

10 men go out for a beer once a month and the bill comes to $100. They decide to split the bill in a similar way to a tax bill:
• The first four men (the poorest) pay $0
• Fifth pays $1
• Sixth pays $3
• Seventh pays $7
• Eighth pays $12
• Ninth pays $18
• Tenth (the richest) pays $59

The men are happy.

The pub owner decides to drop the price, so their bill now comes to $80. What do they do to split the $20 fairly? The publican suggests:
• The first four men (the poorest) pay $0
• Fifth goes from $1 to $0 (a 100% saving)
• Sixth goes from $3 to $2 (a 33% saving)
• Seventh goes from $7 to $5 (a 28% saving)
• Eighth goes from $12 to $9 (a 25% saving)
• Ninth goes from $18 to $15 (a 17% saving)
• Tenth (the richest) goes from $59 to $49 (a 16% saving - the smallest net gain)

But the men aren’t happy….

The sixth man points out that he only got $1 out of the $20 but the tenth man got $10. The seventh man agrees, also asking why he only got $2 when the tenth man got $10. The first four men are also indignant, saying “we didn’t get anything at all – the new system exploits the poor!” So the nine men surround the tenth man and beat him up.

The next month the tenth man doesn’t show up. When it comes to paying the bill the group of nine men find they don’t have enough money between them to even pay for half the bill.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Are there many of these 10 man groups? Or even one that anyone can name? I'd certainly like to join one.

When I was drinking at Kooralbyn Resort I was with Kerry Packer (a looong time ago) but he never shouted me. For a while I kept bumping into him, like at the Lakeside Hotel for breakfast during the premier's conference, he never shouted my breakfast then either. But he would acknowledge me with a hearty "get out of my way!"