The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'm not a Nobel prize winner but I'm pretty sure that the reserve bank will take what the government giveth. It would be better to delay the tax cuts for at least 12 months more.
I agree but the scars of the "no carbon tax under a Government I lead" still run deep for the ALP, and methinks the spectre of bRoKeN eLeCtIoN pRoMiSe has them properly spooked (not sure of what though, not like Dutton's ever going to beat them).

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
not like Dutton's ever going to beat them).
Don't underestimate the right wingers who feel no affinity to facts and have the entire media landscape running their lines and a cowed ABC. And a much much better understanding of the public than Labour who seem to keep trying to think the best of people..

We are going to get Trump again, I will not be even slightly surprised to see dutton elected next election.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The VAST majority of negative gearing participation and accompanying trust usage is by mum and dads (not high income earners). That is a FACT.

Target your comments to the correct demographic.
Cool so 5-8 were negative beering, 9 actually owned the pub and several more in that city, and 10 owned the brewing company. All had complicated family trust structures.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Don't underestimate the right wingers who feel no affinity to facts and have the entire media landscape running their lines and a cowed ABC. And a much much better understanding of the public than Labour who seem to keep trying to think the best of people..

We are going to get Trump again, I will not be even slightly surprised to see dutton elected next election.
Based on what? Twitter posts? Comments section of the Herald Sun? Albo getting booed at the tennis? There is no path back for the Coalition that doesn't involve them trying even slightly to appease the middle ground and appeal to all those teal seats they've lost. In Dutton they have just about the worst candidate to do this imaginable - and like the Conservatives in the UK and the Republicans in the US his party is only interested in stoking stupid culture war smokescreens rather than even pretending to offer a viable alternative and improve people's lives.

The only way Dutton is becoming PM is if our economy absolutely tanks - like a proper GFC recession we missed. Otherwise no chance.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
We've had the highest inflation and interest rates in 12 years and now we are about to shower everyone with money.

I'm not a Nobel prize winner but I'm pretty sure that the reserve bank will take what the government giveth. It would be better to delay the tax cuts for at least 12 months more.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I think for most people, the additional money from the reduced tax will go on the mortgage, fortnightly budget- food/ utilities/ other expenses. This isn't the baby bonus, not one is going to run off and buy a new TV because of it....

Haakon

Based on what? Twitter posts? Comments section of the Herald Sun? Albo getting booed at the tennis? There is no path back for the Coalition that doesn't involve them trying even slightly to appease the middle ground and appeal to all those teal seats they've lost. In Dutton they have just about the worst candidate to do this imaginable - and like the Conservatives in the UK and the Republicans in the US his party is only interested in stoking stupid culture war smokescreens rather than even pretending to offer a viable alternative and improve people's lives.

The only way Dutton is becoming PM is if our economy absolutely tanks - like a proper GFC recession we missed. Otherwise no chance.
Based on the referendum.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Based on the referendum.
Never rely on people when there's nothing in it for them. Labor have wedged LNP hard enough that there's no way out without agreeing with the new cuts, going even further than Labor, or taking away from low and middle income earners and giving it back to higher earners.

The media is desperately trying to paint a narrative of fury and disappointment but in reality, most people are very happy. It's hilariously obvious that LNP are fucked.

Haakon

The Tasmanian senator Jacqui Lambieseemed to have a stronger reaction to the booing, however, telling Nine:

Where are our values? Honestly, what are they booing him for?
Because well, we’ve got a heap of rich people over there watching the tennis finals and they’ve had a bit of their tax taken off them to pay it forward, to give to those who are less fortunate. For God’s sake, I don’t have a problem with that.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yet they arent that far behind in the polls which suggests if they can come up with a single good hit on labor the election could be very close. The tax changes are popular so that wont be it, breaking a promise to do so could well be a factor. we still get replays of keating's L A W tax cuts as proof you cant trust any of them.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Sadly there's no media differentiation between knowingly lying and changing direction in the face of new data.

People don't like uncertainty so politicians are forced to make definitive statements which then puts them in a bind when new data shows they were wrong.

What they should do is explain to the public like they're Donald Trump why they changed. If they can't then they either knowingly lied or they're incompetent.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Sorry to point out the bleeding obvious, but fuck me the conservative side of politics is a dumbcake full of arsehats cooked in a dumpster fire.
Where political parties spend tens of millions of dollars on political strategy (marketing, advertising, staffing etc), this is putting it lightly.

If the last Federal Election told LNP's anything, its that (generally) Aussies are more politically engaged and willing to vote down political grandstanding, a lesson that the Local and State LNP's accept, however the Federal LNP is clueless; Dutton = so utterly out of touch (and loosing the plot) it beggars belief.

1. Stage 3 Tax Reforms: ALP assesses (@ cost of living saga) and appropriately moderates policy, will likely have support of minor parties (incl. Pocock, Lambie), and pass. Dutton thus calls for snap election.
2. Woolies Straya Day: Dutton calls for boycott of one of Aus largest employers, goes against LNP 'Free Market' philosophy.

Dutton.. I honestly don't believe he knows what the LNP stands for (like, the acronym ;p), and just like GOP playbook, is seeking to develop an 'us versus them' political narrative; the main issue here is that Dutton's 'us' base is mostly found on Facebook posting memes about their right to eat sausage rolls. On the Stage Three Tax Cuts, a political reporter stated that, "Dutton's key base / supporters will probably care more about ALP failing an election promise than the fact they will likely have an extra $800 in the pocket. Basically the blind following the blind.

Haakon

Re: Nemisis, not sure whether Morrison spoke an honest word the whole program.

Not a particularly insightful observation, I know. But it just amazes me how duplicitous and contemptuous he is - to the core of his being.
He just oozed disingenuous slime…

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Where political parties spend tens of millions of dollars on political strategy (marketing, advertising, staffing etc), this is putting it lightly.

If the last Federal Election told LNP's anything, its that (generally) Aussies are more politically engaged and willing to vote down political grandstanding, a lesson that the Local and State LNP's accept, however the Federal LNP is clueless; Dutton = so utterly out of touch (and loosing the plot) it beggars belief.

1. Stage 3 Tax Reforms: ALP assesses (@ cost of living saga) and appropriately moderates policy, will likely have support of minor parties (incl. Pocock, Lambie), and pass. Dutton thus calls for snap election.
2. Woolies Straya Day: Dutton calls for boycott of one of Aus largest employers, goes against LNP 'Free Market' philosophy.

Dutton.. I honestly don't believe he knows what the LNP stands for (like, the acronym ;p), and just like GOP playbook, is seeking to develop an 'us versus them' political narrative; the main issue here is that Dutton's 'us' base is mostly found on Facebook posting memes about their right to eat sausage rolls. On the Stage Three Tax Cuts, a political reporter stated that, "Dutton's key base / supporters will probably care more about ALP failing an election promise than the fact they will likely have an extra $800 in the pocket. Basically the blind following the blind.
Just maybe the Libs recognise just how big a stinking pile of slime Dutton is, and they put him in as leader as a way of getting rid of him - a sacrificial lamb basically. When they get their arse kicked again at the next election, they'll have reason to throw him into oblivion where he belongs, and appoint someone much more moderate.

Last edited:

Haakon

Just maybe the Libs recognise just how big a stinking pile of slime Dutton is, and they put him in as leader as a way of getting rid of him - a sarificial lamb basically. When they get their arse kicked again at the next election, they'll have reason to throw him into oblivion where he belongs, and appoint someone much more moderate.
Not sure they’re that bright…