The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Where political parties spend tens of millions of dollars on political strategy (marketing, advertising, staffing etc), this is putting it lightly.

If the last Federal Election told LNP's anything, its that (generally) Aussies are more politically engaged and willing to vote down political grandstanding, a lesson that the Local and State LNP's accept, however the Federal LNP is clueless; Dutton = so utterly out of touch (and loosing the plot) it beggars belief.

1. Stage 3 Tax Reforms: ALP assesses (@ cost of living saga) and appropriately moderates policy, will likely have support of minor parties (incl. Pocock, Lambie), and pass. Dutton thus calls for snap election.
2. Woolies Straya Day: Dutton calls for boycott of one of Aus largest employers, goes against LNP 'Free Market' philosophy.

Dutton.. I honestly don't believe he knows what the LNP stands for (like, the acronym ;p), and just like GOP playbook, is seeking to develop an 'us versus them' political narrative; the main issue here is that Dutton's 'us' base is mostly found on Facebook posting memes about their right to eat sausage rolls. On the Stage Three Tax Cuts, a political reporter stated that, "Dutton's key base / supporters will probably care more about ALP failing an election promise than the fact they will likely have an extra $800 in the pocket. Basically the blind following the blind.
1706695605572.png

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It
Just maybe the Libs recognise just how big a stinking pile of slime Dutton is, and they put him in as leader as a way of getting rid of him - a sacrificial lamb basically. When they get their arse kicked again at the next election, they'll have reason to throw him into oblivion where he belongs, and appoint someone much more moderate.
wouldn't be the first time that strategy has been used. I don't get the feeling that's what's happening here, though. I think that Turnbull gave the loony right a foot in the door by not destroying them when he ousted Abbott and they've been eating away at the party since then. It will be interesting to see how the 2024 PResidential election influences Australian politics.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
It wouldn't be the first time that strategy has been used. I don't get the feeling that's what's happening here, though. I think that Turnbull gave the loony right a foot in the door by not destroying them when he ousted Abbott and they've been eating away at the party since then. It will be interesting to see how the 2024 PResidential election influences Australian politics.
Do you reckon a GOP win in 2024 Unpresidential Election will embolden conservative voters in Australia? We are seeing this in EU, so you might be right re: international impact. But, there is a very clear shift afoot here in Straya; younger voters seem to be voting for a fairer system; my 25 yo cousin for example, is a bright civil engineer on big money (grad on 150k), yet he is ultra progressive. Gives me hope!!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I see Trump as the Republican candidate unless something really dire happens and they can get him in gaol first but that seems highly unlikely. I don't think Trump will win the vote. Whether he wins the war is another thing but I am hopeful that this time around anyone who tries anything will get stamped on. With Biden in the office there is no way a Jan 6 insurrection would take place. The FBI etc all had wind of it and it was Trump who canned support for the Capitol, Biden wont be like that. Anyone turning up will face real opposition and likely there will be paddy wagons just around the corner to ship them all off. Including the Republican members who aid and abet the gathering.

I am hopeful that here we have some sense and leave the potatoes to rot.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Do you reckon a GOP win in 2024 Unpresidential Election will embolden conservative voters in Australia? We are seeing this in EU, so you might be right re: international impact. But, there is a very clear shift afoot here in Straya; younger voters seem to be voting for a fairer system; my 25 yo cousin for example, is a bright civil engineer on big money (grad on 150k), yet he is ultra progressive. Gives me hope!!
Yes, a GOP win would put the wind in the sails of conservatives the world over, along with every obnoxious f*** you got mine twat as well. But I still think a Trump win is very, very unlikely. Every time he opens his mouth he torpedoes himself with all except the MAGA cultists.

In Australia, given the Liberal's Dutton led march to irrelevance and the sheer lack of talent or moral compass in their ranks (Bridget Archer excepted) I see The Greens making significant inroads in the next election if they can harness the anger about cost of living pressures / housing unaffordability / rental stress etc. from Gen Y / Z voters.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yes, a GOP win would put the wind in the sails of conservatives the world over, along with every obnoxious f*** you got mine twat as well. But I still think a Trump win is very, very unlikely. Every time he opens his mouth he torpedoes himself with all except the MAGA cultists.

In Australia, given the Liberal's Dutton led march to irrelevance and the sheer lack of talent or moral compass in their ranks (Bridget Archer excepted) I see The Greens making significant inroads in the next election if they can harness the anger about cost of living pressures / housing unaffordability / rental stress etc. from Gen Y / Z voters.
God I hope you’re right…

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
Unless there's a better third party option in the states it's just gonna be a trump/biden choice.

As unpopular as trump is in this forum looking at this from an American view point they have a lot of issues that wasn't really there to varying degrees when trump was in.

I remember the hysteria about trump starting world war 3 or a civil war or whatnot and none of that really transpired yet with biden in the world is the closets it has evern been to outright conflict on a multitude of areas and even in the United states itself with the border crisis there's talk of civil war atm.

For the record i hate both biden and trump but atm trump is projected to take, i think it was 24-25 of the states with the rest going to biden.

both politicians atm have a low approval rating.

Obviously there's still a long ways to go till the election so a fuck load can change between now and than but as it stands currently its pretty much going either or by a bees dick.

Neither biden nor trump should really be president though.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Unless there's a better third party option in the states it's just gonna be a trump/biden choice.

As unpopular as trump is in this forum looking at this from an American view point they have a lot of issues that wasn't really there to varying degrees when trump was in.

I remember the hysteria about trump starting world war 3 or a civil war or whatnot and none of that really transpired yet with biden in the world is the closets it has evern been to outright conflict on a multitude of areas and even in the United states itself with the border crisis there's talk of civil war atm.

For the record i hate both biden and trump but atm trump is projected to take, i think it was 24-25 of the states with the rest going to biden.

both politicians atm have a low approval rating.

Obviously there's still a long ways to go till the election so a fuck load can change between now and than but as it stands currently its pretty much going either or by a bees dick.

Neither biden nor trump should really be president though.
You don't think Trump's rhetoric and post-truth movement has anything to do with all the talk of 'civil war' right now?

What issues weren't really there when Trump was President out of interest?

Sky_Collapsed

You don't think Trump's rhetoric and post-truth movement has anything to do with all the talk of 'civil war' right now?
No. All these issues within Trumps first presidency has brewing since far back as 2013.

What issues weren't really there when Trump was President out of interest?
For starters, there wasn't 3 international conflicts going on, secondly there wasn't the border crisis going on with talk of the federal government getting involved which would most certainly spark at least a regional conflict in Texas that very well could spill over into a larger domestic conflict.

Last I heard I think something like 10-15 Governers are supporting Texas on this and Texas absolutely has the financial power to be its own country.

Now, I'm not saying trump is worthy of being president because I don't beleive he is but nor do I think Biden is really a presidential worthy candidate.

They both need to retire and leave politics forever.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Last I heard I think something like 10-15 Governers are supporting Texas on this and Texas absolutely has the financial power to be its own country.
Lol Texas has financial autonomy. They couldn't even keep the power on a couple of years ago to stop hundreds of their citizens from freezing to death.

$10 says the other 10-15 states you claim would fall on their arse hard without all those subsidies from the Government (i.e. all those economic powerhouse Democrat states).

Jabubu

let you google that for me
For starters, there wasn't 3 international conflicts going on, secondly there wasn't the border crisis going on with talk of the federal government getting involved which would most certainly spark at least a regional conflict in Texas that very well could spill over into a larger domestic conflict.
It won't spark anything - as usual it's the chud fuckwits that will spark trouble. It's just Texas posturing and taking jurisdiction of the border when the Federal Gov is saying it's an international border so therefore they have the right to process people. The courts will decide, not the Jesus and gun fuckwits.

Sky_Collapsed

Lol Texas has financial autonomy. They couldn't even keep the power on a couple of years ago to stop hundreds of their citizens from freezing to death.

$10 says the other 10-15 states you claim would fall on their arse hard without all those subsidies from the Government (i.e. all those economic powerhouse Democrat states).
That was a rather sever cold snap and majority of places that aren't used to it would have had similar issues.

If Texas was to become its own country it would be around the 12th biggest economy in the world.

Sky_Collapsed

It won't spark anything - as usual it's the chud fuckwits that will spark trouble. It's just Texas posturing and taking jurisdiction of the border when the Federal Gov is saying it's an international border so therefore they have the right to process people. The courts will decide, not the Jesus and gun fuckwits.

One would hope so because America going into even a small scale civil war would not be good for the world.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That was a rather sever cold snap and majority of places that aren't used to it would have had similar issues.
What you think the cold snap was geographically located and existed purely within Texas's borders? Nowhere else was affected?

Here's a clue - it wasn't and they were, yet somehow the lights stayed on everywhere else.