The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Now, I'm not saying trump is worthy of being president because I don't beleive he is but nor do I think Biden is really a presidential worthy candidate.
This all depends on your definition of 'worthy'; one needs to consider real performance, in which case some might argue Biden is more worthy.

But the argument of 'Trump vs Biden' is moot when you consider these are mere figureheads of a much larger ethically corrupt machine; look at how Sanders was rolled by his own party (Clinton). In addition, news and social media enable and spin this 'right vs left' shit-talk to generate 'clicks' (revenue) and at least in USA its all based on 'character sensationalism' (social media activity) not facts, hence the rise of Trump; is he more charismatic and therefore more popular than ever. The 'right vs left' / 'Trump vs Biden narrative needs to end so (Fox News goes bankrupt and) the parties are critically assessed, rather than the figurehead, and real political progress can be made

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Do you reckon a GOP win in 2024 Unpresidential Election will embolden conservative voters in Australia? We are seeing this in EU, so you might be right re: international impact. But, there is a very clear shift afoot here in Straya; younger voters seem to be voting for a fairer system; my 25 yo cousin for example, is a bright civil engineer on big money (grad on 150k), yet he is ultra progressive. Gives me hope!!
I think that it's more that politicians around the world adapt his tactics and methods and that there is enough disillusionment within democracies (economics, cultural change, fatigue with politics and party systems, technological change, social change, etc.) that populist bullshit sells. It's those populists that the hard conservatives grab onto - like the evangelists in the US with Trump - and use for their own aims. This is a good discussion which goes over some of the related dynamics: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...with-tim-alberta/id1265845136?i=1000640518262

Hey, does my memory serve me right, did I buy a set of black pro-taper bars off you like almost 20 years ago? I lost my trading history and now can't recall who I bought stuff from...

For starters, there wasn't 3 international conflicts going on,
Russia-Ukraine
Israel Hamas (although technically not international, but that's nitpicking)
#3?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Is Yemen still a proxy war zone?
My first ever TV appearance was in 2015 when Stan Grant was on Sky news. I spoke to him about how/why the Houthis had taken Sana. At that point, I had been monitoring the Yemen conflict for 7 years. It's essentially a civil war that has dragged KSA in, to hit the Houthis as they are aligned with Iran. But calling Yemen an international conflict would be imprecise.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My first ever TV appearance was in 2015 when Stan Grant was on Sky news. I spoke to him about how/why the Houthis had taken Sana. At that point, I had been monitoring the Yemen conflict for 7 years. It's essentially a civil war that has dragged KSA in, to hit the Houthis as they are aligned with Iran. But calling Yemen an international conflict would be imprecise.

International chess perhaps?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Wasn't there some shit going on in Syria too? The whole Middle East region has been a hotbed of conflicts for as long as I can remember - way before both Trump and Biden had any influence, so I've kind of tuned out to it 'cos it just seems so endless.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Wasn't there some shit going on in Syria too? The whole Middle East region has been a hotbed of conflicts for as long as I can remember - way before both Trump and Biden had any influence, so I've kind of tuned out to it 'cos it just seems so endless.
Syria is internal. OF course, as per the Mid East and all conflict-prone regions, other states get dragged in, in the effort to ensure their chosen side is victorious. But it's still an internal issue.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Saying the Russia/Ukraine war only started under Biden, as @Sky_Collapsed is wholly incorrect as well. Russia invaded Donbass and Crimea in 2014. That was after their man, Yanukovic fled because Maidan kicked off. Even before then, there was the Orange revolution (can't even recall which year, maybe 2008?) when Kuchma was defeated by Yuschenko and Tymoshenko (the hot oligarch chick!).

Russia has always needed to control Ukraine because there are no geographical features between Russia and the Western European powers (like mountain ranges, deserts, large bodies of water, etc.). So Russia needs to extend its depth so it can defend itself away from its strategic centre - just the same as why the US has Hawaii and why China wants Taiwan (and why they control Tibet, Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia).

To argue that the war only started under Biden is to ignore that it actually started in 2014, had been rumbling since 2008 and that little USSR/Cold War thing when Russia controlled the whole eastern bloc!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Russia and Japan have never finished WWII, they're technically still at war because Russia has the Kurils/Northern territories.

Indeed. Did they end up with a formal end to the Ruso-Japan war? This could be the real issue behind a lot of modern symptoms.