The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, after hearing one of the local Greens reps talk BS about the impact of mountain biking on the local radio (when she sounded like she had done zero research) there is no way I can vote for those guys.
Ivan, can you advise who this was and was it on ABC radio?

I don't really believe that happened or you are taking something that was said out of context. The Greens are so pro bike down here a serious cyclist that only voted on one issue wouldn't vote for anyone else.
Yes believe it indeed. Illawarra Greens protesting at Mt Keira with MTB as the number 1 issue https://www.facebook.com/IllawarraGreens/photos/pcb.966363773477698/966362616811147

The Illawarra Greens are not very progressive and most are from the anti MTB brigade of the National Parks Association. Unfortunately, they are not looking at this in the context of modern MTB trails that could be developed in the area, rather focusing on the illegal trail network and worst examples of damaged caused. The truth of the matter is that the MTB trail network is regularly (illegally) maintained and in far better shape than most of the walking tracks.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I don't think it's Xenophobia as much as it is about standard of living for the lower income (or working class) citizens of the UK, who are competing for work against an influx of cheaper labour from the poorer parts of the Eurozone.

Xenophobia may be a symptom. Same deal in Greece.
Xenophobia is the wrong word. It assumes it's "fear" and thereby irrational.

The U.K. Has very real problems, as witnessed by a number of riots over the years.

I think I agree with Boris Johnston - govts need to have agreement from the populace on the amount of immigration - if the populace don't consent to the volume and type, then you cause rifts in the community.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...tion-debate-boris-johnson-vote-leave-bus-tour

Ivan

Eats Squid
I don't really believe that happened or you are taking something that was said out of context. The Greens are so pro bike down here a serious cyclist that only voted on one issue wouldn't vote for anyone else.
If you saying I'm making it up, you can go jump. I listened to the entire interview. Maybe it's you who misunderstand the Greens.
Image1466807283.096030.jpgImage1466807362.249572.jpg

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Some of them are anti MTB but you can't tell people.
Lol, no. You can tell people when you provide at least a shread of evidence above "some old bloke said something once". See Up there ^^^ at what Ivan posted? That's called e-v-I-d-e-n-c-e. It's really convincing stuff when you know how to use it!

Ok, I'll stop being a dick now. :bananalama:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Lol, no. You can tell people when you provide at least a shread of evidence above "some old bloke said something once". See Up there ^^^ at what Ivan posted? That's called e-v-I-d-e-n-c-e. It's really convincing stuff when you know how to use it!
It would be absolute stupid and unfair to publicise on the net what actually happen, when he continues to rebuild historical land marks in his area and needs to continually deal with his local government. There is nothing wrong with conservation of parks but when it gets taken to the next level, it then becomes a problem and it may be an isolated case as the same as Ivan's case but it does happen. Other than that I have nothing at all against the Greens.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
While I don't personally know MT. Kiera or how well or poorly constructed the trails are there or any other local issues relevant to the trails. There is more than a chance that illegally built trails actually do cause damage. Saying that there may be a better place for a mountain bike park is hardly anti MTB.
Saying it's their number one issue just makes you look silly when there is no mention of it on there website or Cath Greens website who I assume is you local Greens candidate. I scrolled back about a month and a half on the Illawara Greens facebook page and could find no mention of MTB at all.
Could you be someone who has a dislike of Green agendas or perceived Greens agendas? Is it possible that through your bias your not really listening carefully and just listening for things to support your argument.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I wish we could see beyond the silly Greens-MTB conflict & vote for things that really matter.

Like climate change.

There's nothing more critical to the future of this planet than how we address to CO2 emissions, starting now!

Not that the Greens have a spine when it comes to shutting down fossil fuel mining & use.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

No you won't. Hobbies keep you sane.

If you saying I'm making it up, you can go jump. I listened to the entire interview. Maybe it's you who misunderstand the Greens.
View attachment 329781View attachment 329783
I don't normally rip big skids, but when I do...I like a responsive audience.

Ivan

Eats Squid
While I don't personally know MT. Kiera or how well or poorly constructed the trails are there or any other local issues relevant to the trails. There is more than a chance that illegally built trails actually do cause damage. Saying that there may be a better place for a mountain bike park is hardly anti MTB.
Saying it's their number one issue just makes you look silly when there is no mention of it on there website or Cath Greens website who I assume is you local Greens candidate. I scrolled back about a month and a half on the Illawara Greens facebook page and could find no mention of MTB at all.
Could you be someone who has a dislike of Green agendas or perceived Greens agendas? Is it possible that through your bias your not really listening carefully and just listening for things to support your argument.

Freediver, I never said it was their number one issue. All your assumptions about me are way off the mark.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not that the Greens have a spine when it comes to shutting down fossil fuel mining & use.
Jeremy Buckingham is your man, he has challenged a lot of coal seam gas plants in QLD.

He displayed this video, long before it was even thought about by 60minutes.

fracking.JPG

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
The greens are no different to any other party, there will ba a variety of views and view points. When little Johnny was PM he was pro-monarchist, Malcom 1.0 was pro-republic. There are people in the Liberal party who are to the left of their Labor opponents just as there are hard core right wingers in the Labor party.

Overall the greens appear to be pro mountain bike but as in any party there will be those that have some level of opposition. It is also why you should vote on the strength of your local candidate, not just the party they hold membership to.

John U

MTB Precision
People who don't like to share exist in all parties and all walks of life. Just as people who do like to share. If you write off a party because of their position on one issue you won't be left with anyone to vote for because there are so many things you need to have a policy on. (unless you create your own party and to take no policy advice from anyone but yourself)

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, it was Halo that said that.
Dam right I did! It was the number one issue at that rally organised by our local greens. This was specifically in response to MTB being included in the Mt Keira summit park vision. MTB got a small mention in the vision as an opportunity pending consultation with National Parks and Wildlife service who manage the adjacent land to the summit park. The Greens response was ridiculous and based on what Ivan heard on the radio continues.

What further info do you need to believe that our local Greens are anti MTB?

I have had further discussions with the Greens and National Parks Association in relation to MTB. Although these discussion have been open,respectful and they are willing to listen, the greens are yet to show any support for MTB.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Interesting article on the erosion of our rights over the last 3 years.

https://independentaustralia.net/li...y-an-election-issue,9146#.V24K9BNhWM4.twitter

The ALP have waived through some pretty bad changes to our rights over this period. Was this them avoiding being wedged by the LNP and the LNP coming out all hysterical stating the ALP support terrorism? If so will the ALP wind some of this stuff back if they get into power?
I agree that the stuff related to border protection is pretty ridiculous as it has a veneer of a potentially politically motivated law. The other stuff related to terrorism have some pretty strong reasoning behind it though and whilst with minimal knowledge I can understand the skepticism, the IGIS is pretty tough in making scrutinising the intelligence agencies. I've never been involved in anything like that but colleagues that are now academics who have been involved in IGIS investigations liken the experience to being "scrubbed with a wire brush under a cold shower".

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Interesting article on the erosion of our rights over the last 3 years.

https://independentaustralia.net/li...y-an-election-issue,9146#.V24K9BNhWM4.twitter

The ALP have waived through some pretty bad changes to our rights over this period. Was this them avoiding being wedged by the LNP and the LNP coming out all hysterical stating the ALP support terrorism? If so will the ALP wind some of this stuff back if they get into power?
Love some of the comments on the independent Australia site. A quick Google reveals this is a fake quote, but the main article discusses some worrying trends in this great nation.

"The best way to take control over a people and control them completely is to take away a little of their freedom at a time to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reduction. In this way the people will not see these rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed." Adolf Hitler. Mein Kampf.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I agree that the stuff related to border protection is pretty ridiculous as it has a veneer of a potentially politically motivated law. The other stuff related to terrorism have some pretty strong reasoning behind it though and whilst with minimal knowledge I can understand the skepticism, the IGIS is pretty tough in making scrutinising the intelligence agencies. I've never been involved in anything like that but colleagues that are now academics who have been involved in IGIS investigations liken the experience to being "scrubbed with a wire brush under a cold shower".
So they enjoyed it? Looks like I know how tonight is going to end...(hot water all used up post ride.)

Love some of the comments on the independent Australia site. A quick Google reveals this is a fake quote, but the main article discusses some worrying trends in this great nation.

"The best way to take control over a people and control them completely is to take away a little of their freedom at a time to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reduction. In this way the people will not see these rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed." Adolf Hitler. Mein Kampf.
That does seem a bit to reflective for Adolf.