The evolution of Mountain Bikes

Brisben

Squid
I'd like to preface this with the notion that I am predominately a Vintage BMX Collector/Restorer, but I felt that some members might enjoy this piece of history.

S&S Performance Products, full 4130 frame. Built in California in 1978

These are kind of the evolutionary link between Beach Cruisers and BMX Cruisers and MTB's

I purchased this frame and fork from a BMX collector in California

The parts on it are "mock up's" as I'm still deciding what level of restoration I will take it to.

The frame is re-finished but the forks are NOS

Predominately, the parts are either era correct BMX or the cross over that occurred during those early days.

I would be interested to see what you guys think about this stage in MTB history.

Pikes Peak Anyone?

I think I'm leaning towards a coaster brake though...

DW-1

Dirt Works
I'd like to preface this with the notion that I am predominately a Vintage BMX Collector/Restorer, but I felt that some members might enjoy this piece of history.

S&S Performance Products, full 4130 frame. Built in California in 1978

These are kind of the evolutionary link between Beach Cruisers and BMX Cruisers and MTB's

I purchased this frame and fork from a BMX collector in California

The parts on it are "mock up's" as I'm still deciding what level of restoration I will take it to.

The frame is re-finished but the forks are NOS

Predominately, the parts are either era correct BMX or the cross over that occurred during those early days.

I would be interested to see what you guys think about this stage in MTB history.

Pikes Peak Anyone?

I think I'm leaning towards a coaster brake though...
very nice.

I'm liking the Cook Bros stem. If you can find a set of the original Cook Bros cruiser bars.... it would make it perfect.

coaster would rock.

Elvis.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love these resto jobs! Looking nice.

Also there is a guy on here you may want to have a chat to if wanting info on these first mtb’s..

Ill pm you his details.. ;)

gerg

Likes Bikes
hmmm, I've got an old pair of Cook Brothers racing cranks in storage. I previously had them on my Boss USA BMX but I lost part of the bottom bracket, which I can't find a replacement for. They were a mountain bike crank but I had them adapted to BMX, absolutely solid and fantastic cranks.

Brisben

Squid
Here's another early BMX I have that were sometimes converted to 5 speed MTB (although you had to spread the rear dropouts a bit to fit the cluster).

March 1981 Mongoose Kos Kruiser - 26" full Cr-mo

and yes - I have tightened the chain and ride it frequently

This bike is pretty much original from 81 and I am only the second owner - all I have changed are the brake levers and cables (to NOS Shimano DX, didn't like the Tourney pre-bent) and the tyres, which were replaced with the NOS yellow Comp 3's (as it had generic gum walls on it.

The surprising thing is that the two "factory" options available for this bike were either Red or Blue colourway (rims, brakes, grips, seat), the original owner decided to go his own way and choose Yellow, and I'm glad he did !

The Bottom Bracket, Headset and cranks have all been serviced re-grease and repacked and it rides like a dream, I still can't believe these were a serious BMX Race bike for a year or two as they ride so much more like a beach cruiser.

Hope you enjoy!!

Repack Rider

Likes Bikes
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I don't actually check in here that often.

Following up on Brisben's Kos, here is a photo of John Tomac in his first MTB race in 1986, riding what looks to be a very similar bike with modifications for off-road.

tomac_86_01.jpgtomac_86_bike1.jpgtomac_86_bike2.jpg

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
came for a quick retro fap....

leaving, well fapped out..... Love those tomac pics!!!

Retro rocks

s

Brisben

Squid
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I don't actually check in here that often.

Following up on Brisben's Kos, here is a photo of John Tomac in his first MTB race in 1986, riding what looks to be a very similar bike with modifications for off-road.

View attachment 186862View attachment 186861View attachment 186860
To me that looks like a 24" Mongoose Pro Class - notice the drilled out rims that were typical of Pro-class, not to mention the height of the seat post!

The defining factor is what we call the "duck beak" dropouts and the holes in them.

That is a fantastic pic and another piece of crossover history for Mongoose collectors, many thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Brisben

Squid
Just noticed as well

Redline "Flight" cranks - 48 spline spindle, full cro-mo arms, standard BMX gear - possibly Suntour or MKS pedals

I'd hate to doubt the authenticity of the photo but - are you sure this isn't a little earlier than 86?

Could it be earlier - those were "old" bits in BMX by then

Repack Rider

Likes Bikes
I'd hate to doubt the authenticity of the photo but - are you sure this isn't a little earlier than 86?
According to Tomac's Wikipedia entry, he moved to Southern California (where the photo was taken) and took up mountain biking in 1986. At the time of the photo, he would have been 18 years old. Unlikely he would have been competitive any younger.

As far as I know, the informal race where this photo was taken (note that he's riding through a damaged chain-link fence) was John's first MTB event.

Last edited: