The Forrest Thread

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Spent the weekend in Forrest on my own and needed to say - "oh how I love thee".

Your trails are super, accom is kooky, beer is cold and locals friendly enough. All the MTBesr I met were super friendly (especially the older grumpy ones like me) and I had a great time.

I thought I would be lonely and not find anyone to chat to but no. Met a great younger couple on Saturday over at Yaugher and invited myself on their ride. Later met a bunch of middle aged gents on tour from Yarralee (one with a busted shoulder) who accepted my emergency nursing skills and super strength tranquilisers from my boot. We caught up at the brewery later for a dodgy steak and cleansing ale. On Sunday a ran into a couple (both 55yrs) on Red Carpet who I had chatted to at the brewery. They showed me around which was great- the guy had been riding for 5 years and riped my legs off every climb - wont be his friend anymore. Also called into the new bike shop/cafe for a coffee and a chat. It reminds me of Noosa in 1974 or Port Douglas in 1980 - without the sea.

I had a ball and not a single 29er,650b, SS, fatbike, old, grumpy, balding, Yarra trail rider in sight (whingie little turds).

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spent the weekend in Forrest on my own and needed to say - "oh how I love thee".

Your trails are super, accom is kooky, beer is cold and locals friendly enough. All the MTBesr I met were super friendly (especially the older grumpy ones like me) and I had a great time.

I thought I would be lonely and not find anyone to chat to but no. Met a great younger couple on Saturday over at Yaugher and invited myself on their ride. Later met a bunch of middle aged gents on tour from Yarralee (one with a busted shoulder) who accepted my emergency nursing skills and super strength tranquilisers from my boot. We caught up at the brewery later for a dodgy steak and cleansing ale. On Sunday a ran into a couple (both 55yrs) on Red Carpet who I had chatted to at the brewery. They showed me around which was great- the guy had been riding for 5 years and riped my legs off every climb - wont be his friend anymore. Also called into the new bike shop/cafe for a coffee and a chat. It reminds me of Noosa in 1974 or Port Douglas in 1980 - without the sea.

I had a ball and not a single 29er,650b, SS, fatbike, old, grumpy, balding, Yarra trail rider in sight (whingie little turds).
As someone who went to Noosa in 1974, I must agree, I love the place!

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bumping this thread for some Forrest love....

I'd not been to Forrest since about 2008 at the time my (now ex) girlfriend and I would head out there every other weekend often alternating between Yaugher trail head, and the southern trails it was easily one of my favorite places to ride and you'd often run into other riders at the cafe, or out on the trail.

I went out there early Saturday morning with the intent on riding the southern trails... Whilst initially I was a little lost it didn't take long for all the memories of fast flowing single track to come flooding back. It was a little cold, and a little damp but the trails were in prime condition and looked like they had little traffic since the Odyssey. I had an absolute blast middle ringing the climbs (I should invest in 2x10), and flying down Red Carpet and I was only one out there. :dance::dance::dance:

On returning to town, it was just as dead as when I got there at 7am, where have all the MTB'ers gone??? :noidea:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
oh Forrest how i love thee

thinking of you fondly and hope you are well

we will be together again asap

always

JD

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Down there a couple of weeks ago JD & forrest is indeed well. While that storm rolled through Melbs I didn't get a drop on 2 morning rides. Yaugher end at lest was in great nick.

& the pale ale was in spectacular form at the brewery too, as ever

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Down there a couple of weeks ago JD & forrest is indeed well. While that storm rolled through Melbs I didn't get a drop on 2 morning rides. Yaugher end at lest was in great nick.

& the pale ale was in spectacular form at the brewery too, as ever
there is much love for her

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Pre-surgery ride

Hey guys.

Been a while since I've been to Forrest. I'm planning on heading down this Saturday and bringing everyone I can with me. It will be one of the last 2-3 rides I'll get before getting shoulder surgery and being out of it till the end of the year.

ALL WELCOME. Plan is to meet at 10am at the trail head, havn't decided which one yet. Will ride all day and have a big feast afterwards, then head back to Melbourne.

Also, does anyone know if we can shuttle Red Carpet?

Cheers,

Mike

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
trail conditions

Wondering if anyone has been up to the Forrest trails lately and what condition are they in? Rideable, wet, dry, muddy? Thinking of heading up that way very shortly. :Banane20:

wembas

Likes Dirt
i heard that there was a drop bear outbreak around the red carpet area.... but aside from that its all good ! :high5:

Scott101

Likes Dirt
Red Carpet

Does red carpet extend higher up than the mapped start. Its appears to be a waste of a hill on the drive well past the start

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does red carpet extend higher up than the mapped start. Its appears to be a waste of a hill on the drive well past the start
It does I am fairly sure, however beyond the road it is a "walking track" that goes all the way to Lake Elizabeth.

static_X3

Likes Dirt
I rode there Sunday and Monday and the place was well rideable. The township trails were pretty muddy but the main set of trails were in excellent condition and surprisingly dry considering the amount of rain the day before we head out.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Rode all trails on Saturday 17th before the bucketing rain hit, place was like a ghost town, brewery closed and saw three riders in 4 hours.
Its not too bad considering the rain leading up to this front was pretty heavy? In brief all the usual spots are soaked, underground water slowly moving up, out and down the steep bits and usual muddy spots. Lots of trees down as you would expect but it was quite do able for this time of year without murdering your drivetrain.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Is anyone heading out to Forrest, or keen to head out there on Sunday (15/09/13) for a ride? I've never been there before and would be keen to tag along with someone if they're not super race riders that I'll slow down too much! :)

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Enve 29 xc Front Wheel

*** FOUND ***

AND RETURNED!

Forgot an Enve 29" XC front wheel at the Yaugher trail head yesterday. It had a Rocket Ron tire. Cash reward for return.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:

tektek

Likes Dirt
Which tracks for a day trip!

Hi All,

I am a newbie and never been to Forrest. Hoping to head out sometime this long weekend for a day trip:wave: (having a kid prevents me from staying overnight.

If you had 3 hours riding time which route which you ride to maximise the time out there (4 hr return trip a total of 7 hrs )

Edit: Skill level is intermediate. I can do blue and some black and You Yangs

Regards

Last edited: