The future for helmets?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I can see this being expensive, and like airbags expensive to repack. You have to admit, pretty impressive thinking outside of the square.
Typical of hipsters inventing an invisible helmet so they wouldn't mess up their hair.

Edit: just realised that there is electronics making this deploy. Not sure I'd want to rely on something electronic deploying to save my melon.

Last edited:
air baggies in cars work on impact ? or does this one work on a ripcord system ?

I can't wait for the day I see some eager dude jump off the bike, frothing to order that soy chai latte with a twist of lemon with a gluten free myrtle and wintergreen friand and poof !!!!!

I heard some news grabs last week about a campaign to end mandatory helmet wearing for bike riders in qld.

I'm all for ending the curse of helmet hair however genetics have not been kind to me, thus if I were to ditch the lid I'd only have to replace it with a hat, probably a fez, I wouldnae wanna look like a hipster doofus.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It looks great on and would surely be very comfortable. It'll take off for sure!..........................

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Finally a scarf that serves a purpose...

As above i would imagine that the airbag would explode at that moment just before the cup makes contact with the lips..."coffee" everywhere.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
at the rate i crash, i'd never be able to afford to ride a bike again.

go the single-use disposable crap that will end up in landfill. thanks, hipsters. i hope you go the way of Dinosaurs and Justin Bieber.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I guess it makes sense in the areas in Europe where everyone rides without a helmet. This thing would be better than nothing.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
For those saying it would be expensive to replace because you crash all the time I think you need a bit of perspective.
It's not for hard core off road use any more than a beach cruiser is made for Downhill racing.

It's for riding to the shops or to uni or into the office or a leisurely ride in the park. It would be great for that. The concept and prototypes have been around a few years now.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Edit: just realised that there is electronics making this deploy. Not sure I'd want to rely on something electronic deploying to save my melon.
Yep.
I know that I trust my life to electronics every day in cars, on a plane, when I cross the road etc.
But I'd hate to be riding a long in the rain and all of a sudden 'BAMMO'!

Or, I don't take my jacket off when I get home and one of my kids jumps on me for a wrestle and 'BAMMO'!

Or, riding along, magpie swoops down for a peck and I move my head rapidly and 'BAMMO'!

Beej1

It's for riding to the shops or to uni or into the office or a leisurely ride in the park. It would be great for that.
Normal helmets are also great for that. Plus they cost fk-all in comparison to what I'm sure this setup will set you back, should it ever arrive on our shores (I'm sure I saw 400 Euro mentioned somewhere).

But I too support the removal of mandatory helmet laws.* We let people drink/smoke/eat themselves to death already, so why should this be any different? I don't care what the research says, I'd rather wear one than not. Morseso on Australian roads filled with Australian drivers than any other western country.

* though I think there should be an age limit so kids are forced to wear them to a certain age.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I think there was a thread about this technology a while ago.
However it is good to see innovation been shown, lots of people hate the look of helmets or worry about thier precious hair :/

I think if we can improve the number of people who will wear a helmet it will be worth it.

The cost though does seem like a worry. What i question is what velocity and angles are we talking about. Of course for the general population its not a concern but the parameters would need to be well in place.
Also getting hit by a truck will just hit your head due to the higher impact but for cars and other crashes it seems like a great innovation.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Parents should enforce that anyway. Be a stupid parent who did not.

If my girls want to ride - helmet MUST be worn. No questions.
Just have to take a look along the bike paths along the Yarra Trails down here to see parents (especially women) leading a good example. About 20% of the riders with kids in tow arnt wearing lids. Messes up their hair.

driftking

Wheel size expert
On the laws.

There is no reason to abolish mandatory laws.
Why would you want to?what effort or negative effect does the helmet have?

Could you imagine hitting a cyclist whether your fault or not and killing the person because they did not have a helmet. No its not your responsibility to worry about the other person although you should care about that stuff, but it seems stupid to increase the chance of death and increase the emotional toll on those involved because you don't want you hair too look bad.

I don't care how smal statistics are a helmet improves survival chance and it has no downfalls. If it was a small gain wih negative effects I'd consider your position but the concept of abolishing laws just because makes it sound like a freedom fighter crusade with no point but to be a pita about freedom for every tiny thing,
The behaviours like drinking and smoking are not the same.

For the record I think smokin should be Abolished its the stupidest thing you can do for your health, it puts strain on the heath care system and it produces second hand smoke for those who choose not to fill thier lungs with sh*t, it also smells horrible.

The only reason to keep it is to keep the massive tax revenue it pulls in for the government

Last edited:

Asterope

Likes Dirt
The repealing of helmet laws in QLD is only for designated cycle paths - that does not include the bike lanes that run alongside the road (that always seem to be uselessly full of cars)

So riding your pushy with your kids/dog at the park is fine without a helmet, riding the designated cycle paths around the city and up to redcliffe is fine without a helmet - but - you would need to carry one with you anyway as the cycle paths traverse roads in places, and you need to wear a helmet if you are riding on the road.

Why not just wear a helmet? I don't give a shit about my hair, the stuff grows back... its the stuff inside the skull that doesn't (but it would seem 75% of the population doesn't have anything in there anyway...) and I would rather have some sort of protection for the important bit of my body, regardless of cycle path or no, on the off chance that an errant dog/child/overly engrossed smartphone user suddenly jumped out in front of me and I went OTB (its happened before!!)

As for this inflatable helmet... nice idea, but expensive and useless for certain conditions (riding to work with one of those things around your neck during a QLD summer would be fuuuuunnnnnn...)

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On the laws.

There is no reason to abolish mandatory laws.
Why would you want to?what effort or negative effect does the helmet have?
Not advocating non-wearing of helmets (I would never ride without one), but I believe there have been studies that show that Mandatory Helmet Laws reduce the number of people riding and that as a society we would be far better off without MHL - ie that the net health benefit for increasing the numbers of people riding is higher than the increase in injuries that would have been less severe if the rider was wearing a helmet.