AM The Geometric Trail Bike (Polygon AX)

takai

Eats Squid
Was going to wait until i had all of the bits and built it up to start the thread, but I'm sitting here with a glass of wine and meh. For about 7 or 8 years now i have had a Giant Reign as my mid travel trail bike. Build thread here: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?150496-Spooky-is-bringing-the-Reign Admittedly it didn't get much use with the Cove being taken for DH runs and the Scott for DJ/4X stuff. But since moving to Melbourne i have been riding more XC/AM sort of stuff, and so i pulled out the Giant again. Now its certainly not a bad bike, but it has its limitations. First of all its a 6" trail bike with geo from 2005, and then slackened out with 36s at the front for ~67ish deg head angle. Kind of means it wallows around a bit. Plus the HV shock just blows through its travel. Still i quite like it, and ill probably keep it around with the forks for kicks.

But in the end I wanted to upgrade to some newer gear, something that is designed around a 160mm fork rather than being forced to use one etc, and with some of the new standards like ISCG tabs and tapered steerer. Plus I figured that this might be a last hurrah for 26" so i may as well get in on the act.

I had a few $$$ around in the kitty, and this had been on the forums for a while, so i made an offer and had it sent down:

Its in pretty good nick, few scratches here and there but nothing major. Weighed it tonight though, and when people say that the Polygons are a little heavier, they aren't wrong:

Thats with the RP23 shock, and a Shimano rear axle. No headset. 4.26kg... ouch. The Reign frameset looks light at 3.45kg with shock and headset.

Ill be transferring all of the gear over from the Reign, although i may be getting new forks, just need to see how that pans out. Need to wait on the new headset and the axle adapters for the Hopes from the UK.
Thats about it for now, will update when stuff comes in etc.

P.s. Knuckles, this was that '13.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This will be an interesting build. Those frames have a fairly unusual looking suspension set up, but they ride very smooth and have a good balance point when you pull the front up.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I thought you had gone Psimpson's Rune. Came up as sold just as you said you had bought a new frame......

takai

Eats Squid
This will be an interesting build. Those frames have a fairly unusual looking suspension set up, but they ride very smooth and have a good balance point when you pull the front up.
Thats what i had heard, and i was ready for a bit of a change. Just mainly surprised on the weight.

I thought you had gone Psimpson's Rune. Came up as sold just as you said you had bought a new frame......
Yeah, i was seriously considering it for quite a while, but then it was sold just before i was ready. Still considering a Rune or something like that, but i might wait a year or so. Plus being able to give a radically different suspension design a go was attractive.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I doubt you will be disappointed by the choice. From what I can tell they are pretty strong too and plenty smooth on easy going DH tracks like the one at Ourimba. Not sure how they would handle a serious rock garden or significant drop/case, but from my experience with them over the last 6 months they are a good performer.

takai

Eats Squid
I doubt you will be disappointed by the choice. From what I can tell they are pretty strong too and plenty smooth on easy going DH tracks like the one at Ourimba. Not sure how they would handle a serious rock garden or significant drop/case, but from my experience with them over the last 6 months they are a good performer.
Sounds like it will be fun then.

The next piece of the puzzle came today:

Had a slight confusion with a friend who wanted some Pikes, I thought he wanted me to order them, and he thought he was ordering them. So we ended up getting 2 pairs, so im just keeping one for myself. 160/130 DPA RCT3s. Should be a good match with the frameset, and luckily with a quick swap with my mate they are the right colour for the frame.
Plus the rear axle adapters arrived from CRC this morning courtesy of a 2.2kg tub of High5 meaning the parcel was sent DHL not RM. Along with the axle adapters was this little guy:

76g worth of chainring protection.

Now the only thing left to come is the headset, because i had to go the blingy one didnt i....

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Yeah, they are doing extremely well for an Aus store. But i needed some Hope gear, and well we all know what the Aus Hope distro is like...
Hehehe, yeah......probably Neezy's cousin.

Was having a cruise of Pushys the other day, looks like they cleared out most of their stock with that sale. Hopefully they'll top up again soon.

takai

Eats Squid
Hehehe, yeah......probably Neezy's cousin.

Was having a cruise of Pushys the other day, looks like they cleared out most of their stock with that sale. Hopefully they'll top up again soon.
Yeah, i struggled to make the $30 freeship threshold a few weeks ago. Ended up topping it up with a BBall inflating needle of all things.

Anyway, was in the garage tonight fixing up the XTC and couldnt help but do this:

takai

Eats Squid
Yeah, I dun one of those.....

Looks like white is the new black :thumb:
Yah, i was going to hit it with paint stripper and go stealth matte black with gloss stickers, but nah, the white and black with red highlights will be nice.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Yeah, definitely. Now that i have seen the frame/forks together ill be sticking with white for sure.
Looks good, quite like how the black stanchions also match up with the linkages on the frame, going to be a good looking bike.

Is it just me or are there some strong similarities between this and the V10 linkage, albiet with the top link upside down?

takai

Eats Squid
Looks good, quite like how the black stanchions also match up with the linkages on the frame, going to be a good looking bike.

Is it just me or are there some strong similarities between this and the V10 linkage, albiet with the top link upside down?
The VPP design is visually similar with the bottom of the shock being actuated by the linkage low over the BB. But the FS2 design is a fully floating system, with the shock being compressed from both ends by the linkages. Still a rearward axle path, but should have better leverage ratios than VPP.

takai

Eats Squid
Its only taken 3 months, but i finally got the new main pivot bearings, and then promptly went away for a few weeks and was snowed under with work and beer.

Heading up to Canberra for a week with the extended family and so i built up the bike to take:

The rear brake line is touch and go, will be fine facing forwards, but under suspension compression and tighter turns wont be nice. I have a BH90 on its way to Canberra for fitting when i get there. Just annoying ill have to pack all those extra tools.

Also picked up some new XT Trail pedals for it, a minuscule upgrade from the M530s, and added the RaceFace crank boots.

Added a Blackspire Bruiser bash guard as well, sometimes i can be a little plow happy:

Bars are the finally installed Easton Haven Carbons from the super cheap sale on CRC back in August.

Somehow it only weighs 13.8kg, but im not sure how. Perhaps the scales are wrong:

Looking forward to giving it a go on Luge and Skyline.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its only taken 3 months, but i finally got the new main pivot bearings, and then promptly went away for a few weeks and was snowed under with work and beer.

Heading up to Canberra for a week with the extended family and so i built up the bike to take:

The rear brake line is touch and go, will be fine facing forwards, but under suspension compression and tighter turns wont be nice. I have a BH90 on its way to Canberra for fitting when i get there. Just annoying ill have to pack all those extra tools.

Also picked up some new XT Trail pedals for it, a minuscule upgrade from the M530s, and added the RaceFace crank boots.

Added a Blackspire Bruiser bash guard as well, sometimes i can be a little plow happy:

Bars are the finally installed Easton Haven Carbons from the super cheap sale on CRC back in August.

Somehow it only weighs 13.8kg, but im not sure how. Perhaps the scales are wrong:

Looking forward to giving it a go on Luge and Skyline.
That looks bloody awesome, colour between the frame, fork and other bits matches so well... Just needs a dropper :p