The Hardtail Downhill Thread.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
It was talked about a while back, and I figured if anyone was going to make this thread, it was me :p

Feel free to talk about beefy frames, component choice, or just reasons why you ride hartails!

[video=youtube;wv7TyakE8qw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv7TyakE8qw[/video]

Last edited:

_Ajax_

Likes Dirt
Ill contribute.

I think riding a hard tail is a very good way of learning quick and new lines down a track, i always use my hardtail atleast once a week down a track.

nomajneb

Likes Bikes
Downhill on a hardtail is the way to go :p

All those boys and girls on fullys are just soft! hahahahahhaa.
Learn how to take it.

HARDTAIL PRIDE!

P.S.
My real point here is that riding a hardtail teaches you how to either avoid the things that would, even on a fully - slow you down, or gives you the balls to huck off them/ride on through at full pace when you get a fully.

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What forks do you guys use?? I've got a set of Marzocchi triples but i'm either gonna get Fox 36's of Rockshoxs Revos or some thing...

How many of you HT guys clip?

I'm 50/50 Flat/Clips personally

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Firstly: A real DH hardtail!

And in response to mty10@:

I use a Marzocchi 66 RC2X, which performs brilliantly, and my pedal choice is always clips except the roughest/loosest/steepest tracks. So much easier to keep your feet on over the rough with all the bucking and whatnot.

I guess its relivant to this thread: tyre pressure. Hardtails are more prone to rear-end flats, this we know, so what do you guys run? May sound a bit strange, but my last two races were done on 15psi front, 18 rear. I only found out after the last race :eek: I probably should have used at least 10 more each end.

Last thing (shamless plug); any of you dudes who want to join this elite/legendary group :)p) a great way to start is the frame in my sig. It'll get you started and really help you progress, I know it helped me :)

.243 rep!

Last edited:

nomajneb

Likes Bikes
Bighair,
I really really really hope that your seat is only that high because its on the workstand..:p

I'm honestly considering taking my seat off entirely when i ride DH on my hardtail, find it has no use other than a testicle crusher.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not my bike (same frame), but I do run my seat that high for most stuff, it goes down when the track is steep or really rough and my legs get worked down to the bottom end of their travel :p

I think even though you don't sit down whatsoever on the hardtail a seat is still necissary, even when its slammed. Better of smacking your balls on the seat than the frame!

frozenhole

Likes Dirt
I'm running a DMR Trailstar with 1998 Z1 Drop Off's, Hayes mags, deore hubs, 321 up front and 721? on the back, roox roller coaster and chain dog guide. Yep its old but it's done me proud. Switching to the world of dually in a couple of weeks. My knees will be happy to say the least!

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
Wondering something:

If riding without rear suspension makes you a better rider, wouldn't riding without any suspension be even better (of course it is, following this train of logic). So in the eyes of a rigid-frame rider, any negative comments about full suspension bikes can be transferred directly to those who ride hardtails with front suspension.

So, why are people bagging full suspension bikes on this thread, yet shamelessly flaunting their front suspension components? What's wrong with this picture?

Nice bike, Bighair :cool:

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wondering something:

If riding without rear suspension makes you a better rider, wouldn't riding without any suspension be even better (of course it is, following this train of logic). So in the eyes of a rigid-frame rider, any negative comments about full suspension bikes can be transferred directly to those who ride hardtails with front suspension.

So, why are people bagging full suspension bikes on this thread, yet shamelessly flaunting their front suspension components? What's wrong with this picture?

Nice bike, Bighair :cool:
Settle petal, nothing wrong with riding hardtail and having a laugh about it all.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I generally run 20psi front and 30psi rear... i have no tubes :p
Same here, no tubes is the only way forward for DH hardtail. Probably the only reason I didn't flat, although I'm amazed neither of the rims have flatspotted.

I'm running a DMR Trailstar with 1998 Z1 Drop Off's, Hayes mags, deore hubs, 321 up front and 721? on the back, roox roller coaster and chain dog guide. Yep its old but it's done me proud. Switching to the world of dually in a couple of weeks. My knees will be happy to say the least!
Yew! Trailstar, I'm in the proccess of buying one of those frames to add to my collection as we speak. By the way you're a pansy for going dually :p
(a joke, of course). That aside, I hope you're keeping the hardtail for everything else.

Captain Sensible: Brett's right on the money, half of riding hardtail is having a laugh, nothing is meant in malice, all just good fun. Besides, if you take a look through all the posts so far I'm pretty sure there isn't a 'duallies are puss' and whatnot.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
I was going to make this thread but thought from the comments in the site suggestion section, it wouldnt work out and ill get heaps of shit. Buts it goin pretty well :eek:

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
Settle petal, nothing wrong with riding hardtail and having a laugh about it all.
When you call me "petal" I feel all warm inside :D
I have nothing against hardtail DH (I dig it), just against bagging dual suspension when using front suspension ;) (that backwards-Benjamon guy).

Last edited:

frozenhole

Likes Dirt
Yew! Trailstar, I'm in the proccess of buying one of those frames to add to my collection as we speak. By the way you're a pansy for going dually :p
(a joke, of course). That aside, I hope you're keeping the hardtail for everything else.
Yep I'll be keeping the Trailstar and slowly upgrading the antique parts on it so it's a nice little street bike. The frame was purchased in 2001 and besides a few paint chips it still looks prime.

I'm only going dually because I'm sick of the old things breaking and I don't need two hard tails. I'm struggling to get my head around what it will be like to ride something with more than 4" of travel.

Jazz

Likes Bikes
I have one massive reason for riding Hardtail D/H.

1. It's all I own!!!:p

I have only just started riding a heap of downhill, I'm an ex-bmxer that started riding a bit of street on my hardtail, took it up the Youies a couple of times and got hooked.

I am planning on competing in the Vic DH Series this year on my hardtail and I'll see how it goes!

This thread looks like an source of information for me though, so keep up the tips guys!

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same here, no tubes is the only way forward for DH hardtail. Probably the only reason I didn't flat, although I'm amazed neither of the rims have flatspotted.
Ha! Get yourself a wheel truing set and tighten them after every day of runs ... and get bombproof wheels!

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Yep I'll be keeping the Trailstar and slowly upgrading the antique parts on it so it's a nice little street bike. The frame was purchased in 2001 and besides a few paint chips it still looks prime.

I'm only going dually because I'm sick of the old things breaking and I don't need two hard tails. I'm struggling to get my head around what it will be like to ride something with more than 4" of travel.
Glad to hear that the Trailstar goes alright for this. Im in the process of building up a Trailstar as a do all hardtail with probably Pikes up front and was pondering if it would go alright for DH to mix it up from riding my demo

fairy1

Banned
I am 100kg and I run 22psi rear and 20 up front, I rarely pinch flat but my rims ding lots.

Also if anyone is looking at getting a DH hardtail I think it has to be steel, the difference in comfort and bump absorbtion is amazing, no more alloy frames for me. Steel frames generally have shorter headtubes which allow a nice low bar height.

Don't buy a frame like mine if you only plan on doing DH.