The "holy f*#k that's a long way to ride a bike" bike packing thread.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Well done Craig! :thumb: Thanks for sharing with us. What a way to finish!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congratulations are definitely in order! It has sounded like it was a truly amazing trip, glad to hear you enjoyed it so much and enjoy your remaining time in the States!

beeza

Likes Bikes
yeah, wow. one of the best trips ive read about. kept me logging on daily to read the next update.

thanks for sharing

fatnslow

Likes Bikes
congrats and well done

awesome work.

I have been watching your post and made the trip I did in Vietnam and Cambodia last year look like a walk in the park. (anyone got a Kona Sutra in medium they want to sell :) )

All I can say is, Craig, you are an inspiration to us old fat bastards.

FnS

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
So I had to check out of my motel in Lordsburg at 10am (I hate early checkouts, but i'd never get moving without them) and started down the road to Tucson. Was going to do it in two days but felt really flat. On the way out of town I pulled in at the Tourist info centre to get an Arizona state highway map. These places also have free coffee (I LOVE coffee) so I sat out the first thunderstorm of the day there, also collecting some motel vouchers for the towns I would be passing through.

Some guy pulled in who was going the other way (towards Deming), and had a pickup, so I bummed a ride. Sweet! Not having to ride on the highway sounded like a good plan, and I found out that there was a bikeshop in Deming, so I could get a box and throw it all on greyhound.

Turns out the bike shop in Deming also sells vacuum cleaners and lawnmowers, and had only a few huffys, and no boxes. I went to fedex and got a couple of boxes and 4 rolls of packaging tape, checked into a $24 motel (!) and spent the next 4hrs making a frankenbox. Getting on the greyhound for a 23hr bus ride to Santa Barbara.

Got some chores to do in California. Salsa are sending my warranty frame there, so gotta sort that out, but otherwise just gonna chill with my mate, maybe go climbing for a bit, post some stuff home, sort out all the stuff that is busted and worn out and get the bike in shape for the 900mi down Baja

In two minds about riding down Baja. Will be fun for sure, and flat, and have good food, but will also be a lot of hard work in terms of language, heat and perhaps safety. A long way between towns too, I gather. I really want to go to the San Diego zoo too, because I love zoos.

Mike: I go through Syd on the 24th, but only have 5 or 6 hrs at the airport. You coming to A-town for the tour? I'll prolly head over to the east coast for a lazy enduro or a weekend of chillin with peeps and maybe fit in another clubbie too, or something. Will call you when I get back for schizzle.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Weary but happy...

You may be a bit Weary but you have added another chapter to the great Dunlop name mate. Great effort and thanks for allowing us to share your adventure...

And for those of you thinking about running away from home for a life in the bike circus.... after 40 years of marriage [two life sentences my wife is fond of pointing out] I'm still only allowed out on day leave... enough [just] to fit in a 100k enduro event and she want's to know why I take so long!

Miss Adventure I call her:tape:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fantastic!

I have been awed at reading your experiences,
its good to read that you got all the way without harm, apart from a few stomach issues.
you should get one of the mags to write a story about you or write a story for all of the mags.
20c a word will be a good little earner.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
Mike: I go through Syd on the 24th, but only have 5 or 6 hrs at the airport. You coming to A-town for the tour? I'll prolly head over to the east coast for a lazy enduro or a weekend of chillin with peeps and maybe fit in another clubbie too, or something. Will call you when I get back for schizzle.
sucks. no worries though, we'll sort something out. yeah, definitely coming to adelaide in january - booking tickets this weekend cos i've got a jetstar voucher i need to use asap. enjoy your time off the bike this week and enjoy your time back on it even more :D

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I am in Ensenada, baja california norte. I am doing lots of taco eating and not so much bike riding. OMG tacos here are the tits! Not sure if I will make it all the way to La Paz, depends if I find a nice little town to chill in along the way or not, I guess. The ride down from Santa Barbara, where I was hanging out, was nice, but getting through LA was a bit of a cluster.

I got a new camera in SB, and am actually taking photos. Also, somewhere out on the internet are some pics of me at the end of the GDMBR.

That's really all for now. Looking forward to getting home and having a good sleep. Looking forward to the sun going down late (days have become really short here... I miss the 11pm sunsets I had in may!)

Also, big up to salsa cycles and cranky's bike shop in Santa Barbara. They sent my frame (overnight) and bumped a couple of jobs to do the rebuild - and they didn't charge me for it. That's pretty gnawesome customer service IMO.

I'm gonna go get some tacos for breakfast and then make my way towards San Quentin. Population of Baja thins out from here, yay for beach camping tonight!

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't get kidnapped by drug dealers man. Dangerous part of the world at the moment.

Can't wait to see photos!