The "I will ride _____km in 2024" thread - commit and conquer here!!

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 5.40.55 pm.png

I haven't posted much this year, been busy with life. I have come out from under my rock to yearly confessional though.

Working in two states with two kids under five while studying at uni has impaired my efforts, so I fell short of my 5000km goal. Although, the move to Tassie does mean there was heaps more actual dirt riding, and an extra 38,000m of climbing compared with last year!

I'd aim for 5000km again next year, but 4000km is much more realistic.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Pretty much exactly ⅓ of my 'usual' yearly total. I think I had to go back to 2014 to find a lower yearly total.

But, something's working cos today's 2-hour last ride of the year ride was so much more within my abilities than any other time I've ridden in that park.

1000007858.jpg

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Being put off by crowds, punters, covid riders, flow trails, hype etc etc means I probably did less pure MTB singletrack riding than previous years, and instead much more back country type rides on the hardtail which definitely helped with the elevation.

1704018565213.png

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I will be endeavouring to record rides this year. Average 10K commuting but don't always use a bike computer. Have couple of garmins and a Karoobut CBF carrying them/keeping charged. Ozzy says easier with Strava on phone, at least i have that with me i suppose. Just have to remember to turn it on. I generally carry it in backpack rather than pocket.
Is there a way to make it active when you start moving at X speed? Like some sort of 'tile' bizzo you could mount to bikes to turn app on when you're within a metre or so?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I will be endeavouring to record rides this year. Average 10K commuting but don't always use a bike computer. Have couple of garmins and a Karoobut CBF carrying them/keeping charged. Ozzy says easier with Strava on phone, at least i have that with me i suppose. Just have to remember to turn it on. I generally carry it in backpack rather than pocket.
Is there a way to make it active when you start moving at X speed? Like some sort of 'tile' bizzo you could mount to bikes to turn app on when you're within a metre or so?
I just use my phone with the free version of Strava. No real way to have it automatically start, just need to get in the habit of hitting record before you head off.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I just use my phone with the free version of Strava. No real way to have it automatically start, just need to get in the habit of hitting record before you head off.
This is what I do also. Phone works fine, no issues with battery drain, though I do turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, auto rotate etc and just leave location and data on just in case.

And you have to give strava all battery permissions, otherwise sometimes the phone turns it off

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Clicked over 500km this morning. Last year my goal was 1000km and managed to hit that target. So to do half the distance in the first 3 months I am pretty happy. Aiming for 1500km this year. Jan/Feb were good months but man flu got me in March and some time away then another weird mini cold. See how April goes.

How are others travelling?

1711767134216.png

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
ugh, 200km so far, but not getting out often enough.. and don't last long enough when i do :p
(ed: a dismal 2.8km total elevation.... between 30 and 100m above sea level ;) )

Last edited: