The "I've got problems with my avids" thread

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
All roads lead to XT.

My new bike has Avid XX World Cup brakes. They have a great lever feel and good power. But they are noisy and now the bike has done a whopping 280km the front needs a bleed.
My last bike had XT and did 3250km without an issue and were smooth and powerful every time.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I've got problems with my Avids...........i just cannot seem to get them to make noise or need constant bleeding :noidea:

What am in doing wrong guys?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I've got problems with my Avids...........i just cannot seem to get them to make noise or need constant bleeding :noidea:

Posting on Rotorburn instead of riding at a guess. Did you work in a foundry perhaps or maybe with live ammunition - that sort of work history seems to silence brakes

:).

Edit. Added smiley -

Last edited:

treble

Likes Dirt
Or, perhaps we need a sticky with some actual useful information to help people with common avid problems that don't contain a bunch unhelpful "just by XT's" comments. Then we can have another for the Shimano fanboys can pat each other on the back and talk about how great they are.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Or, perhaps we need a sticky with some actual useful information to help people with common avid problems that don't contain a bunch unhelpful "just by XT's" comments. Then we can have another for the Shimano fanboys can pat each other on the back and talk about how great they are.
Ahh, why not.....

If you don't have any problems with avids, no noise , no sponginess etc, then you don't need any unhelpful posts. BUT, if you have a noise issue, you can get organic pads which MIGHT fix it for you, if that doesn't, get some thicker rotors eg the shimano rt76s to get rid of the noise. I did all of those things and still ended up with XTs.

The advice of just buy XTs is usually from people who have gone that route for you, lived it, looked back and wish they had taken the early advice of suck it up and spend $200 on XTs, but they didn't . Most is hard won advice not idle I've read this here etc etc.

Liked my avids when they were working and there wasn't rain - awesome feel, love my shimanos betterer.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Ditto...

The advice of just buy XTs is usually from people who have gone that route for you
No, it's usually not founded on anything like that. It's usually from people who heard bad things on the internet.

treble

Likes Dirt
Ahh, why not.....

If you don't have any problems with avids, no noise , no sponginess etc, then you don't need any unhelpful posts. BUT, if you have a noise issue, you can get organic pads which MIGHT fix it for you, if that doesn't, get some thicker rotors eg the shimano rt76s to get rid of the noise. I did all of those things and still ended up with XTs.

The advice of just buy XTs is usually from people who have gone that route for you, lived it, looked back and wish they had taken the early advice of suck it up and spend $200 on XTs, but they didn't . Most is hard won advice not idle I've read this here etc etc.

Liked my avids when they were working and there wasn't rain - awesome feel, love my shimanos betterer.
Not sure what you're trying to say there.

But what IM trying to say is; when people post with legitimate technical questions about their brakes, it's completely unhelpful to just respond with "just get XT's". Perhaps they don't have $200 dollars to spend on a new brake set when their current one could work perfectly with a new set of pads or some basic maintenance.

To say that they will end up buying them anyway is also not helpful, because its just an opinion (usually based on hearsay). As someone who own's both XT and Avid brakes on a few bikes, i have no interest in changing over my bike with Avids. I also maintain numerous sets of Avids on the bikes of friends and family, and I'm really not seeing a big difference (other than lever feel)

i think a lot of it comes down to the old adage "a good tradesman never blames his tools" and too many blame their own inability to perform basic setup and maintenance on the brakes themselves.

driftking

Wheel size expert
i think a lot of it comes down to the old adage "a good tradesman never blames his tools" and too many blame their own inability to perform basic setup and maintenance on the brakes themselves.
Or skill and technique...braking technique and ability to ride sections all has an effect on how and when you brake. I still have not perfected braking, I use too much rear brake and not enough front.

Its mtbing, the sport wouldn't survive if people didn't blame their tools and want new ones. :behindsofa:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Here is some actual helpful advice.

I've learned to live with my avids.

BB7R: I get the gobbles. Badly. I let it gobble when I'm commuting so people actually move out of the way. But then for weekend longer rides, I just ride it hard down my apartment to -re bed them in. Yes it needs constant rebidding!

Elixirs: These things are temperamental and sometimes go ok, others they will pulse and make a racket. Solution is to kick some dirt on the rotor. It works better when the rotor is spinning and the dirt is not fully dry, but very lightly moist, mud will make the next few 100 metres or so hell. Noise goes away and life is good again. I think it's the brakes telling me to go harder and smash up more dirt.