The James Williamson Enduro Challenge 2012

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Good News!

Welcome to the second James Williamson Enduro Challenge, to be held on Sunday March 11[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012.

Following the success of the inaugural event, the organisers were overwhelmed by riders’ positive comments and enthusiasm for this event. With this in mind, we are keeping the format of the race more or less the same as 2011, with a few minor changes to be introduced, to keep the trails flowing, and the riders pumped!

The James Williamson Enduro Challenge is a joint initiative of Southern Highlands Cycling Club (SHCC) and Canberra Off-Road Cyclists (CORC), held each year in March, in memory of James Williamson, World and Australian Champion Enduro mountain biker. James passed away on March 23rd 2010 while participating in the Cape Epic Mountain Bike Race in South Africa. James came from the Southern Highlands of NSW before moving to Canberra, and knew the trails of both areas well. James was renowned for his capacity to challenge himself and for his passion for mountain biking; this race helps keep his spirit alive.

Have a read of where your entrant fee goes......

The James Williamson Enduro Challenge is a non-profit event, with all proceeds going to the James Williamson Fund. Proceeds will be used in a range of ways to develop young riders and promote the sport of mountain biking. http://jameswilliamson.com.au/fund

Entries are now open for the James Williamson Enduro Challenge for 2012. To keep the friendly and James vibe to this race, entries are capped at 600. So register now, don’t wait. Registrations open through MTBA. Go to https://www.registernow.com.au/mtba/ERegister.aspx?E=815

Hi all,

Anyone know if this would be suitable for a CX bike?

I did the 2010 Highland Fling (just the 50) and remember that as being CX friendly (mostly), but not sure how much of this race is the same.

Thanks.

Eli

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
There is a lot more singletrack in this race than the 50 of the highland fling, if you were going to go with the CX bike, put as wider tyres on as you can.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Anyone know if this would be suitable for a CX bike?
li
Yes, very suitable.

Having said that, I destroyed my rear wheel at last years event (hit a big rut unsighted while drafting - the two guys behind me on duallies also flatted)

Cheers for the info. What size tyre were you riding on? I've got 700x35 at the moment (I think).

And I ride pretty slowly so hopefully I won't blow out a rear wheel...but if I did, it's an excuse for new wheels woohoo! :tickled_pink:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
35mm tyres, any bigger and you may as well ride a mtbike :p

I think you're unlikely to destroy a wheel unless you do something stupid - which is what I did.

Gsutton

Squid
Extra rides around Bundanoon?

Courtesy of Willo's race occuring next to the Canberra Day long weekend (yahoo!), I'm having thoughts of staying around for an extra day to do some more riding in the area.

Any suggestions of other fun singletrack to check out around Bundanoon/Wingello that's not ridden during the race? Expect I'll only have one car available, so point-to-point/car-shuffle rides probably aren't going to work.

Thanks!

frensham

Likes Dirt
Courtesy of Willo's race occuring next to the Canberra Day long weekend (yahoo!), I'm having thoughts of staying around for an extra day to do some more riding in the area.

Any suggestions of other fun singletrack to check out around Bundanoon/Wingello that's not ridden during the race? Expect I'll only have one car available, so point-to-point/car-shuffle rides probably aren't going to work.

Thanks!
Buy the map and guide of the area. See the Wild Horizons website.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Im not incredibly fit and this would be my first event. How hard is the 50k from those who have done it before?
It's a lovely track, very scenic and you can go as hard as you like, or like me, just go out for a pootle with hundreds of like minded people. Last year I did the 75 km and felt that twice around would have been just enough. The third lap was quite boring given I had already done it twice. The 50 km race is very straightforward and most weekend warriors will have no trouble with the distance.

porca

Likes Bikes
anyone from the southern highlands comment? how wet is wingello? The JWE website still saying it will be on. I haven't ridden on the dirt for a couple of weeks in Bulli cause of the rain

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
... OK maybe?

The Southern Highlands club have a club race on there this morning and it was going ahead as @ 6.00am. The rainfall tally on the BOM for Moss Vale and Bowral over the past few days have been surprisingly modest giving the ongoing deluge we are having in Canberra so it might just be OK....

I'm hoping to do a couple of laps @ Wingello on Tuesday. I need it in the legs!

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Any news on how the track is holding up after the rain? It looks like there's more on the way in the next 2 days too.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Any news on how the track is holding up after the rain? It looks like there's more on the way in the next 2 days too.
Apparently, its fine although as to be expected, a little wet in patches. The trail is one of the best draining courses in NSW. All it needs is 24 hours of no rain which it looks like it will get on either Friday or Saturday and it will be ready to race on.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Word on the street is that the event has been postponed (date to be confirmed). More concern about getting all the cars in and out safely than the tracks themselves.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Word on the street is that the event has been postponed (date to be confirmed). More concern about getting all the cars in and out safely than the tracks themselves.

makes sense...all mountain bikers should have decent 4WD's.....(half joking)

understandable given what NSW is experienceing at the moment, and hope all are safe....and that it can either be held or postponed to a suitable date for most...

frensham

Likes Dirt
makes sense...all mountain bikers should have decent 4WD's.....(half joking)

understandable given what NSW is experienceing at the moment, and hope all are safe....and that it can either be held or postponed to a suitable date for most...
It's official, from the Willo website:

Thursday evening 8th March
After inspecting the site at Wingello this afternoon, (in the rain), unfortunately we have made the hard decision to postpone the race for now. As you can appreciate, the roads leading in and out of Wingello State Forests are very soggy, and we are not confident that they will dry out enough in time for race day, Sunday. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes anyone. As soon as we decide on a new date, we will post this on this website, and sent an email out to all registered riders telling them of the new date. Once the new date has been released, we will give full details of transfer and refund policies for this new date.