The Mont 2013.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Results and Photos

Great event, I actually trained this year and impressed myself, agree with one and all re Noodles, gravity was extreme there.

But whats with the web page? I cant find results on there and its not directing me to the Aurora images site for photos. Is it just me/my browser? Yesterday i thought it was the mobile devices (3) I tried yesterday, now the desktops doing the same thing. text over photos (ie illegible) and no links to results/photos?? Wasupwiththis?

Great event, love it every year, and every year gets better, loved the new track layout and rolling around on a 29er dually was sweet!

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great event, I actually trained this year and impressed myself, agree with one and all re Noodles, gravity was extreme there.

But whats with the web page? I cant find results on there and its not directing me to the Aurora images site for photos. Is it just me/my browser? Yesterday i thought it was the mobile devices (3) I tried yesterday, now the desktops doing the same thing. text over photos (ie illegible) and no links to results/photos?? Wasupwiththis?

Great event, love it every year, and every year gets better, loved the new track layout and rolling around on a 29er dually was sweet!
Hey Lynton, whilst gasping for air, somewhere on Snakes In the Grass, your wife stopped at the same spot and we got to chatting. Well done on the Team Dubbo placing and Ill chat to you next time Im out at Dubbo. I hear Geurie Stage 2 is underway.

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Aurora doesn't have the photos up yet (they have a bazillion to process), so there is little point just now. Best wait a couple of days for the event wrap newsletter to come out for further info.

Results are here
http://selfpropelled.com.au/event/mont-24/the-race/results-2013/

Site appears to work fine on Firefox, Safari and Chrome from where I am sitting, but it might be worthwhile to update your browser in any case.

Al

gead

Likes Dirt
awesome event, it was my first time at the mont, and i have it locked in for next year already. Thanks to everyone out there for making it such a blast. Special mention to my team mates (OCD'er and Hifiandmtb), who greeted me after my final lap at about 9am with two piping hot lattes...excellent service!

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Results are here
http://selfpropelled.com.au/event/mont-24/the-race/results-2013/

Site appears to work fine on Firefox, Safari and Chrome from where I am sitting, but it might be worthwhile to update your browser in any case.

Al
Thanks Al, probably the old IE were lumbered with here at work, will try again later.

Great event, well done once again.

"Hey Lynton, whilst gasping for air, somewhere on Snakes In the Grass, your wife stopped at the same spot and we got to chatting. Well done on the Team Dubbo placing and Ill chat to you next time Im out at Dubbo. I hear Geurie Stage 2 is underway." Pharcyde
She didnt tell me she stopped...;) Team Dubbo cranked, 4th overall, 3rd open mens 4, we also had another 4 teams there, all finished at the pointy(er) end, great fun with a camp full of committed people, 22 Dubbo riders all loved it. (Half the club went this year!)

Yep Geurie stage 2 is well underway, gonna be a lot of fun, more technical and harder work than current trails, should add another 20km when finished! It'll be a combination of Kowalskis sideshow and beergarden, with no Noodle or Love Child! I wish

Buggergrips

Likes Dirt
HOÀNG QUÂN - Cho thuê xe cu?i, xe cao c?p, xe tháng hÃ*ng d?u HÃ* N?i
D?a ch?: S? 02 Trúc Khê - D?ng Da - HÃ* N?i
Tel: 04.66.83.66.07 - 04.62.69.45.42
Hotline: 0987.999.222 - 0983.838.553
I was making remarkably similar noises up the last climb; obviously this bloke still hasn't recovered yet.

notime

Likes Dirt
Anyone know the extra distance on the first lap? I didn't press go on my Garmin till a few k`s in, not that it was very accurate in the forest anyway.

loc81

Likes Dirt
What a fun, but very long weekend!
This was my first Mont (and Kowen for that matter) ride- I really enjoyed the event in general. A few other 24hr event could take notes on how to set up a relaxed event center- lots of food, seating and booze! Goddamn those pizzas were good.
I'm in 2 minds about the track..
Yes, drunken noodle sucked balls but overall the climbs weren't too bad for the distance covered- that doesn't mean I wasn't stuffed though! Lots of meandering to break up the climbs.
The other part of my brain says that a track of that length was begging for some more features! It felt like The Blair Witch Project when they walk all day and end up at the same spot, except in my instance I was only half way around. The lap I got the most fun out the track was on the graveyard shift when I got a clear run on Aunty Flow and belting down Sideshow with the lights on in my onesie!
Throw a few more obstacles or amusements into the trail and its a brilliant ride.

Also perfect weather to top it off!

Thanks to all the organisers.

PS: Hard to believe in all the time I've been riding I have had absolutely NO idea who the brand Mont was, let alone what they sell. Am I living under a rock? I've heard of at least 4 other "adventure" brands! Now I know 5.

Klips

Likes Dirt
That was my first MTB race, let alone 24hour. Our team of four became a team of three, which became four again which became three and that was all before the race had even started (a broken collarbone followed by a broken elbow in the leadup). We decided to tough it out as three, two of whom are much more roadies than MTBers so it was a bit of a gamble. In the end we had a cracking time and were still (just!) in the top 50 for open mens 4s which was much better than we'd expected.

I have to say, 99% of the people were so lovely on track, whether passing or being passed. There were a few people who were impressed with their own pace and forgot the race briefing part about not just yelling "track", however they were the distinct minority.

Great work SPE and Kowalski, I'll be back next year for sure! (and hopefully with a full complement of riders and a bit more pace/fitness/flow).

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Great event. I rode with notime above and a group of 10 other blokes.
This was my 1st 24hr and I was part of one of 2 x 6 man team's. Didn't know many of the other team members but was welcomed from the start and met a great bunch of blokes.
I was riding 2nd in our group, 1st lap was just over 57min, 2nd lap 58:29 and my 3rd 59:56. Unfortunately I snapped my chain early on my 4th lap. I had my multi tool (which took minutes to get off the bike due to the cold hands and stiff sticky tape holding it on!) but stupidly forgot a quick link. I tried to force a pin back through to join the chain but had no luck. After asking about 30 blokes for a link, one fantastic champion had one - In my frustration and haste I didn't even get his number plate to thank him later (thanked him profusely on the spot). Finished that lap in 1:09. Finished up 11th in 6 man opens.
Didn't get any sleep really, was tired as hell but would love to do another 24hr.

I don't think they could have put in much more in terms of technical features - remember this event attracts many new and social mtb riders. Blasting down beer garden and sideshow under lights at max speed was plenty fun enough for me!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I'm with you ^^- Doesn't need any more technical stuff - not with the wide range of rider skills out there. It's one of those courses where it flows and can be very very fast , but the skill is really being able to overtake off track . The fast stuff was just so much fun when it was a clear run !

loc81

Likes Dirt
Yeah I figured I would be a minority on the technical stuff! Very true that a 24hr takes in all sorts of cyclists and that needs to be taken into account but my first lap of a 24hr was heading down Pork Barrel at Stromlo!
Different trails for different folks I guess- as long as its mountain biking and doesn't end up road riding on dirt ha ha.

My blog: www.justmytype81.wordpress.com
Stuff about stuff I like- bikes, music, food and laughs. Subscribe.

nescius

Squid
I had a great time at the Mont, the downhill sections of the course really exposed my lack of skills but it definitely gave me something to work on for next year. I'm a fairly keen roadie, and looking at my stats my all time distance on the mtb is only 291km (including my 4 laps at the Mont) so I was happy enough to be lapping in just over an hour. I found that my arms got more tired than my legs thanks to my death grip on the descents, while the uphill sections were like something sent from heaven and I was quite content to smash it up them as fast as I could. The night laps were fun, especially the drummer and the band out in the middle of the forest (didn't see the duelling banjos unfortunately), very cool.

The general atmosphere was great and all of the riders I encountered on the trails were very friendly, although a couple of my teammates encountered a very small number of jerks. The food was great, I sampled plenty of pizza, pancakes, baked potatoes, egg & bacon rolls, and whatever else I could get my hands on!

I don't know that I could handle the lack of sleep if I was to do regular 24hr races, but once a year it's a fun thing to do! I'll be back next year, with upgraded skills!

Thanks everyone

Hey guys. I was one of the unicyclists at the Mont this year (sorry if I held you up...). I just wanted to say thanks for the support everyone gave us on the weekend. We really had a blast and just about everyone who passed us (and that was all of you!) has something positive or encouraging to say.

Cheers!

minhtam

Squid
Hey guys. I was one of the unicyclists at the Mont this year (sorry if I held you up...). I just wanted to say thanks for the support everyone gave us on the weekend. We really had a blast and just about everyone who passed us (and that was all of you!) has something positive or encouraging to say.

Cheers!
you guys were mighty impressive!
Are these unicycles geared?

Klips

Likes Dirt

Cheers!
Saw one of you blokes off and walking along Dam Straight, and had another who was really courteous about being passed in Sideshow (which I can't imagine doing on a MUni!!) so well done to your team.