The Mont24 Hr - 2011, Mt Kowan

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
give them a bit of time mate,

I went out and took some pics for only a few hours and I ended up with close to 2000 pics.

Organizing/ cataloging them is a hassle and takes a-lot of time. then you have to upload them.

I realise this but then I don't get my instant gratification!!!!

struggles

Likes Dirt
This is true, but the problem is, a lot of people, myself included, will compare them to Sportograf (Scott24hr) guys - and yeah, no waiting a week for those guys to get their photos sorted. 100% pros.

Anyway, hope they're up soon, looking forward to them :cool:
Probably because they can sort through all the photos on the plane back to Germany and have them ready to upload when they touchdown.

GeorgeT

Likes Bikes
It's generally not difficult to hear someone coming up behind and to start spotting a clear area where it'll be safe for them to get by that you should come up to pretty close to their arrival time. By minor adjustment of speed either up or down, it's very rare that I can't let another rider by pretty much immediately with almost no detriment to either of us.

Usually it's me making the call for them to pass in a given section, not them having to call track. A bit of consideration from both parties makes a world of difference.
Fully agree. Where the passer and passee both have good bike handling skills an efficient pass can occur almost anywhere. In those cases you don't need a straight track with a 4 foot passing lane. Some of the frustrations arise when the passee's and passer's idea of a passing opportunity don't match.

Spotbike3

Likes Bikes
Very good event - splitting the banks of dunny/shower trucks in two across the venue might be worth a thought for next year, but I'm buying me a camp shower for 2011... and props to the teams who rented their own bogs! Smart thinkin'!

And as another unfit, fat slacker with a bit of skill, the track was a brilliant compromise effort for riders across the gamut. I've honestly never had more fun on a bike riding the switchback downhill bits into a setting sun on Saturday arvo. Genuinely made me feel lucky to be on the planet.

The climbs were hard for me, but then so was the ride to transition... ;) Few issues with passing that were prolly exacerbated by the time of night and my state of fatigue, but I've seen much worse.

Kudos to the organisers for another great event.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
As I've got faster I've actually found it's got much harder to let people pass, the closer you are in speed to the passer the more space is needed to pass. Not that I ever held people back for terribly long but I feel bad for not letting them straight through, but at the same time my team was going for podium and I was going fast laps so I wasn't about to pull right off every time someone wanted to pass.

But in general I have to say passing was pretty good, I saw one or two bad passes of seriously inexperienced riders... generally these weren't so much bad passes but just ones that freaked out newbies. Just because there's space doesn't mean they are confident with that space, I saw one newbie almost collect a tree because she was freaked by a pass and it was about 15m before a split single track passing point!

As for Aurora... by my calculations they may have as many as 40 000 photos to sort or more! It's amazing they can even do that in a week!

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Very good event - splitting the banks of dunny/shower trucks in two across the venue might be worth a thought for next year
The prospect of rain kept them next to the main road, so they could easily be driven out of the event at the end. If it had been 100% dry, they might have been spread around more.

minhtam

Squid
I'd like to thank the rider who helped my gf with her cramp after I took over from her at transition. Many thanks. She went out to ride another three great laps in night and mud.
Loved it. We'll be in again next year.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
nice vid but f**k me I never realised how long that run was! Looks like it went forever!

big RESPECT to those who did their teams first lap!

(except of course for those who CHEATED by using seperate runner/rider)

Last edited:

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
Looks like it went forever!
felt like it too.
just wish i had been up the front more. stopped to wiz at the toilets on the way up and was back way too far at the start.
so much fun though. i'd do it again for sure [but don't tell my team mates]

Last edited:

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Le Mans Start- Sensational Vid

Great vid. I chuckled at the dim out at the end - that's exactly how I felt at the time ... a bit like losing your life in a PS game as the screen darkens ...

Sadly I started at the back - it was grandpa shuffling for the first 60 seconds. My bad was to run with a camelbak, which added another dimension to the challenge.

It's a great experience - nervous anticipation, jostling during the run, frantic searching for the team, juggling the bike to exit transition, joining the exodus to race to the singletrack head.

I'll do it again.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Curious to know who aside from Aurora were out there taking snaps. I swear on my lap I saw about 15 cameras, Aurora only have 4 shots of me, so there must be a wad of other folks shooting as well.

shoogyboom

Likes Dirt
I think the photos suck. I did four laps and have five average photos. My friend did 5 laps and has two photos. Where are all the photos that weren't id'd? I reckon in four laps there were at least 20 or so photos taken. Were there other companies out there?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Photos look good, geez their server must be copping a caning at the moment though!

I note on the front page of the Mont24 site is a link for day licence refund, if anyone got caught out. The link is just an email to MTBA with Mont24 copied in - if you've already emailed MTBA, maybe flick a copy to Mont24 as well.

The link says you have a fortnight from race to claim - which is a week tomorrow. Get emailing.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I think the photos suck. I did four laps and have five average photos. My friend did 5 laps and has two photos. Where are all the photos that weren't id'd? I reckon in four laps there were at least 20 or so photos taken. Were there other companies out there?
go through the unidentified photos. I found a couple of mine in the first few pages.. mind you, there are thousands in there... Alot of the auto night camera pics are in there.
I gave up and will search for more at work monday! :)