The Moo will be closed until further notice

cabbo

Likes Dirt
We had been advised by council to remove all of the erosion saving carpet that has been put inplace that preserves not only jumps and landers but also the sandier regions of trail and bushland, this being the Sydney sandstone region.. Well it's sandstone and sand when weathered, we have sand catchment areas in place too collect any sand that washes too these bays that then is re used under the carpet of compressed landers or jumps.
The next step is to meet with council with other avenues to try to keep this place up and running with the hope we as riders can meet the requirements that we can keep the management of trial care from resourcing environmently sound materials too take place of the carpet before too much erosion takes place.
This also means the added danger of trail with tyre washout with loose sand. Cheers!
Ps No! you can't ride your fat bikes now. Closed until further notice.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
Many thanks too the crew for showing up and lugging wet stinking carpet too the top, not a pleasant job.. Cheers fellas!!

T.3

Likes Dirt
Hopefully it gets resolved. Especially considering the time put into this place, which is, and I don't believe it is overstating it, a masterpiece.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Simple. Someone needs to start manufacturing a product called "enviro-happy-trail-cover" and sell it for $400 per metre. Council would love it. And, even better, it could be manufactured by up-cycling second hand carpet.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
We've used our trail pavers to good effect for erosion control

dig01.jpg

can work on jumps too

527094_10150957046821160_1923288256_n.jpg

T-Rex

Template denier
We've used our trail pavers to good effect for erosion control

View attachment 311358

can work on jumps too

View attachment 311359
^^^ These things are genius for trail armouring. It's not totally obvious from the photo how clever they are.

They are a hexagonal concrete paving stone with a horizontal steel bar maybe 8mm diameter running through the middle. A small hole in the middle of the concrete exposes the steel bar, and you drive a tent peg through the hole, hooking over the bar and holding it in place. They work really well on steep soft sections, they are used on a couple of the chutes on the Pony Club DH track in Lithgow.

Flynny, you should have patented these things!

And feel free to correct any of the above if I haven't got it right.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With the number of people who ride the Moo, surely y'all can get together the resources and people to make the hexagonal paver approach happen.

That being said, I'm not quite certain whether they'd be compatible with Marty's approach for building the underlying structures. Could be too unstable.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
With the number of people who ride the Moo, surely y'all can get together the resources and people to make the hexagonal paver approach happen.

That being said, I'm not quite certain whether they'd be compatible with Marty's approach for building the underlying structures. Could be too unstable.
yeah we have got a lot of good will from many riders that we can achieve and cover the funds, the problem was we had to deal with a different division within council that was to do with waste management, as they see the carpet only from the point of view as elegally dumped this is was from a department that have no interest about the trails.
Now we are looking for the ideal requirements to hopefully put in place too take the place of the carpet if at all possible, we have just started researching for this and are talking with the right department within council this week, being school holidays well this may delay matters, but there is a crew willing to do what it takes and that said we hope we can be given the responsibility as riders to reassure council we can be trusted to look after the bushland and trails.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
U
^^^ These things are genius for trail armouring. It's not totally obvious from the photo how clever they are.

Flynny, you should have patented these things!

And feel free to correct any of the above if I haven't got it right.
Cheers but I don't think they'd have the shark tank in s frenzy

My idea but tim's know how

All right except the steal bar, we found they didn't need it. Just s hole for a tent/garden peg. Even that isn't needed unless it's real steep. I've put in a heap on our XC track with out pegs or only pegs in the end ones and they haven't moved

Other advantages.
1 person can easily load a dozen in a barrow, cart them into place and lay them on their own

Cheap, we made up a number of moulds that corresponded nicely to 1 cement mixer load. Cement was donated cheap by the trailer load, I think the last lot was spoils that was given to us for $0.
First thing in the morning we'd turn yesterday's moulds out to cure in the sun. Mix up a load and fill the moulds again.

Easy to add logos and stuff to moulds. This could help fund them, every one who makes/pays for one gets their name on it Hollywood boulevard style. Or you could sell sponsorship spots...

Anyway if you want a sample to show council let me know and I'll arrange to get you some

http://all.global-riders.net/files/images/2013/06/dig04.jpg

Last edited:

cabbo

Likes Dirt
U

Cheers but I don't think they'd have the shark tank in s frenzy

My idea but tim's know how

All right except the steal bar, we found they didn't need it. Just s hole for a tent/garden peg. Even that isn't needed unless it's real steep. I've put in a heap on our XC track with out pegs or only pegs in the end ones and they haven't moved

Other advantages.
1 person can easily load a dozen in a barrow, cart them into place and lay them on their own

Cheap, we made up a number of moulds that corresponded nicely to 1 cement mixer load. Cement was donated cheap by the trailer load, I think the last lot was spoils that was given to us for $0.
First thing in the morning we'd turn yesterday's moulds out to cure in the sun. Mix up a load and fill the moulds again.

Easy to add logos and stuff to moulds. This could help fund them, every one who makes/pays for one gets their name on it Hollywood boulevard style. Or you could sell sponsorship spots...

Anyway if you want a sample to show council let me know and I'll arrange to get you some

http://all.global-riders.net/files/images/2013/06/dig04.jpg
Yeah! Well done Thecat..
We have that much sand down here that most of the job is done.. Just install your hexes after a rake would be all that it would need to then lock the hexes into place.. Cool work creations too mate, l hope this is something of interest for the clubs, parks and councils mate, as these hexes look to work a chime in regions off trail where trail blow outs occur and can lift ubove the water table.. Thanks for the link mate. Cheers!

jrewing

Eats Squid
Some of that carpet was fancy Persian rug.. Riding on it reminded me of when I wipe my arse with $100 notes.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Simple. Someone needs to start manufacturing a product called "enviro-happy-trail-cover" and sell it for $400 per metre. Council would love it. And, even better, it could be manufactured by up-cycling second hand carpet.
Would something like this be suitable as a replacement for the carpet? http://www.geofabrics.com.au/products/products/27-jutemaster-thick/overview They may also be able to reccomend another product of there is a better one.

Given that it is a a proper erosion control product and is made from jute, that would biodegrade over over time, it would get rid of most of council's concerns. Just have to see how it would stand up to downhill traffic. Let's throw some dollars in and trial it with council, possibly in conjunction with Flynny's pavers which also look a great idea?

cabbo

Likes Dirt
Moo en along! a bit of progress is being made..

We have a council meeting next week, and from what l am hearing does sound promising, the trail will remain closed over this week end as heavy rain is forecast, with all carpet being removed this has now exposed weak or vulnerable areas to eroding..
Yep! I have been advised for the short turm on most vulnerable areas to re apply carpet:frusty:
An email has been submitted to council from TrailCare, including concerns incase waist and management happen too show up and want to swat you a hefty $2000 fine for elegal dumping... That's if you happen to bring up a roll of carpet of course.
Thanks too the many concerns of the riders willing to help out with any funding towards enviro material... See what happens next week.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would something like this be suitable as a replacement for the carpet? http://www.geofabrics.com.au/products/products/27-jutemaster-thick/overview They may also be able to reccomend another product of there is a better one.

Given that it is a a proper erosion control product and is made from jute, that would biodegrade over over time, it would get rid of most of council's concerns. Just have to see how it would stand up to downhill traffic. Let's throw some dollars in and trial it with council, possibly in conjunction with Flynny's pavers which also look a great idea?
I've contacted them for some samples. I'd only propose using it for lips, and possibly some landers.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
A meeting is in place.

A meeting has been made with council in a couple weeks to discus the future of the trails.. What the trail has on it side is its sustainability, although with the amount of rain recieved and the removal of carpet has caused a fair bit of disturbance and a few trees have come down. No maintenance has been carried out and l have been told it is off limits. With more of the same kind of weather exspected the timing couldn't be worse.. Anyhow there is a mass of support and people with the knowledge to back up.. Roll the dice.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
The Moo closed

The moo was closed..

Under general..

Trail building thread..
From Dr Simom Kean

Last edited:

will2

Likes Dirt
Hasn't been a good few weeks on the North shore, Moo in Purgatory, Oxy has the elders reclaiming it and Old Man's Valley in has terminal Cancer. Bummer.