The Muscle and Weight Gain Thread

brycedh

Likes Dirt
Well seeing as the thread has changed...I am starting next term to bulk a little but not much. It's more losing the extra cm of fat + a gain in muscle for me. Im 5 10' and 73kg, don't want might weight over 80kg seeing as i'll be losing fat this should be easily achievable

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
Well seeing as the thread has changed...I am starting next term to bulk a little but not much. It's more losing the extra cm of fat + a gain in muscle for me. Im 5 10' and 73kg, don't want might weight over 80kg seeing as i'll be losing fat this should be easily achievable
Good stuff, good to hear some other people are doing it.
Anyone doing it for rugby per chance? Or anyone hear aspiring to play First XV?

at the drive in

Likes Dirt
It will be much much easier if you do one at a time instead of trying to do both at once. You need to eat more calories to add mass yet eat less calories to loss weight, which means losing fat and gaining muscle is a very very long and in-effective process.

brycedh

Likes Dirt
It will be much much easier if you do one at a time instead of trying to do both at once. You need to eat more calories to add mass yet eat less calories to loss weight, which means losing fat and gaining muscle is a very very long and in-effective process.
Yeah, do over 10 hours of tennis a week and got plenty of cardio equipment/exercises but i'll still probably do gym 3 times a week on off days, not too hard yet though

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doing fitness training now to more get in shape. Trying to lower my body fat percentage while building muscle. Going off with the Defence Force in May so just trying to be in the best shape I can be before I leave. Perhaps we can all post up our training regimes to see what other people are doing for other purposes. ie. Defence, Football, health etc

BEN ROBBO

Likes Bikes
geez man i was about to start a thread like this, good idea but.
so most of us bicycle riders wanting to build some hardcore muscles are we? lets see how this goes cause im into all the bulking and cutting, and will be of some help and can always have some help from others.

bunya djer n dher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah good to see some people in the same boat as me, im currently 65-66kgs at about 176 cms.

Basic workout is
- 3 sets of 15kg curl, 2 sets of 12.5 kgs curls
- 5 sets of 22.4 kg inclines
- as many chin ups as i can do
- 4 sets of 17.5 for me triceps
-couple sets of dips
- then a whole lot of ab excersises

Also throw in some push ups and what not, Probelm is i just want to put more weight on!

ademb

Likes Dirt
yeah ive gone through the same stuff in the last year, im a real light weight in terms of size/weight. im near on 6"1 and range around 64-65kg. Been a carpenter im constantly on my feet active so the weight never really went on, or off.

I started a 4 day gym routine with my best mate concentrating on arms, chest back and legs and i also began taking protein after every session and some mornings. Although the protein instructions recommend doing it 2-3 times a day i just found it not possible. Within 10 weeks i had gained 6kgs and everything was going awesome, i found the best weight gains to be in my legs obviously given that they are the largest muscles in the body. Given ur a footy player that would be a good place to start urself!

Also get into the push ups, they are such an underated exercise. They work your biceps, triceps, chest, back and core all at once!

ademb

Likes Dirt
Doing fitness training now to more get in shape. Trying to lower my body fat percentage while building muscle. Going off with the Defence Force in May so just trying to be in the best shape I can be before I leave. Perhaps we can all post up our training regimes to see what other people are doing for other purposes. ie. Defence, Football, health etc
what u going in as mate? reserve, fulltime? Ive just had 2 mates go into army, one as reserve and one has fulltime

Mate in reserves found it alot easier then was expected, supposedly its been toned down in the last few years but my other mate is doing officer training and is currently doing intensive combat training ie long long days, little rest and he is finding it tougher then expected and he is a fit fit bloke

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
yeah good to see some people in the same boat as me, im currently 65-66kgs at about 176 cms.

Basic workout is
- 3 sets of 15kg curl, 2 sets of 12.5 kgs curls
- 5 sets of 22.4 kg inclines
- as many chin ups as i can do
- 4 sets of 17.5 for me triceps
-couple sets of dips
- then a whole lot of ab excersises

Also throw in some push ups and what not, Probelm is i just want to put more weight on!
Im gonna assume you're quite a strong fella then, if your just starting then its insane if your able to actually do 15kg curls and 17.5 triceps, but good work nonetheless.
Keen to see how you go as well.

Just got the go ahead from dad to hit creatine if i feel i want too try it out, so now im just making sure i actually want too.

brycedh

Likes Dirt
My routine is just a bit of everything:

Shoulder press
Bench press
Military press
Sit-ups
Leg press
Bicep Curls
Leg curls
Latin row (something like that, the ones for your back)
calves

A couple of others I don't know what they're called. When I start going frequently I will have a more specific routine

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
your only young and still growing so dont over do it on the weights, but diet is important. Get heaps of protein(meat, fish, chicken) into you and balance it with the right carbs, so it can transport the protien to the muscles

To gain try and eat more than 2.5 times your body weight in protien

eg 70kgs x 2.5 = 175grams + of protien should be consumed a day

As a no 8 you not only need to be strong but be fast & mobile too, you need to be the first man to the breakdown & ruck everytime.

so make sure you keep up the agility and speed work too, not just strength

I have seen too many of my team mates in the past lose their speed & agility due to concentrating on bulking up too much

if your not careful..you will end up in the front row...and we all know what rugby pops look like :D

bunya djer n dher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im gonna assume you're quite a strong fella then, if your just starting then its insane if your able to actually do 15kg curls and 17.5 triceps, but good work nonetheless.
Keen to see how you go as well.

Just got the go ahead from dad to hit creatine if i feel i want too try it out, so now im just making sure i actually want too.
Been doing that for about a month now, started real light but then started working my way up. Although i have been doing it since januray which isnt long im still finding out what i can/cant do. but thats my basic workout 3 times a week.

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what u going in as mate? reserve, fulltime? Ive just had 2 mates go into army, one as reserve and one has fulltime

Mate in reserves found it alot easier then was expected, supposedly its been toned down in the last few years but my other mate is doing officer training and is currently doing intensive combat training ie long long days, little rest and he is finding it tougher then expected and he is a fit fit bloke
Full-time in the RAAF as a Technician while doing as much extra training as I can to qualify for pilot school at the end of my 6years. Trying for fighter pilot.

I use 12kg dumbbells at the moment, about to bump it up a bit more once this becomes more comfortable.

1a) Dumbbell Press
3 sets of 10

1b) Bent Over Dumbbell Row
3 sets of 10

2a) Dumbbell Shoulder Press
3 sets of 10

2b) Weighted Diamond Pushups
3 Sets of 10 w/ 5kg in pack, going up to 7kg soon

3a) Lying Tricep Extension
3 sets of 10 w/ 8kg

3c) Bicep Curl
3 sets of 10

Also do a 1.8-2.5km run every day.

EDIT - Im 74kg and 180cm. Trying to bulk up to around 80kg or so..

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
Haha yes i do.
Yeah don't worry about fitness aspect, im working on that, and i admittedly am early to the breakdowns, the muscle gain thing is purely for an overall presence on the field and as stupid as it sounds, playing a position like i am, and in higher grades it does help to be intimidating at the same time.

I've always been one to run hard and flat-out at just about anyone on the field, i seldom get hurt when being tackled, i tend to run over people rather than around.
That said, i have always been a bit slack in tackling, as effective as special tackling techniques are, i do miss the odd front on tackle on the bigger fella's and in my position, if i ever want to play higher grade rugby i can't afford that. I have learnt from always playing in 'big' teams how to play above my weight and the ways i can use what weight i have effectively, so my hope is that gaining weight will mean these techniques will only get better.

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use to do that, after a month or two i found doing the tricep curls alot more effective. I started on 15kg and now worked up to 17.5kg, try it out and see if it works mate.
Will give them a whirl with the next set and see how they go. Gotta buy more weight tomorrow so I can up them. Stuck at 12kg at the moment.

bunya djer n dher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah deffinately go for it, i found it gave you better support and worked it harder.

Maybe im just weird but i find that i get a better result form doing inclines rather then bench.

norco01

Likes Dirt
Do not listen to this guy.

brycedh, you're telling a 16yr old who needs to be fast to only do 6-8 reps. Very bad idea.
Sprinters focus alot on upper body strength, because the more power you can push with your arms the more momentum that is generated which is transferred to your lower body=faster.