The new AMB

FlyingRV

Likes Bikes
I just got the latest Australian Mountain Bike magazine (July 2012).
It's says in the cover that it's "Bigger and Better!"

It's bigger in size, buts definitely not better.
Where's the Shootout gone?
And no more bike rating.

nonch

Likes Bikes
Yeah I'm not really liking the changes. Shootout and ratings were two of the main reasons I bought it.

TimCz83

Likes Dirt
Agreed. Bit of a weak issue all round though. Will check next month and see if it's a bit better.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I don't think many magazines can give you a story that hasn't already been done on a website somewhere anymore. As for the bike tests, I tend not to believe any of the tests are a true indication of the bikes flaws and positives when you read the article then turn the page and see an ad from the bike manufacturer saying pretty much the same thing.
I won't be renewing my subscription more so because I'm sick of being told every issue how good the riding in New Zealand is. Thanks Captain obvious!

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Yeah, big disappointment. My subscription which I received as a gift will not be renewed. A few people have left the magazine and its just not the same...

willsy01

Eats Squid
I found it pretty underwhelming as a whole. The old layout was fine.......don't know why they changed it. The content in the new one was just 'meh'.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
The content in the new one was just 'meh'.
Agreed - It felt like the authors were entering a short story contest: how many artsy adjectives can we fit in a sentence? What happened to good, solid content about the bikes themselves?

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
Have to agree with the general feeling here, I think I read mine in about 5 minutes and haven't felt the urge to pick it back up.
My subscription just expired- bye bye AMB

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found the print was too small making it difficult to read, especially the sidebars to the graphs in the fitness section and the new stuff section. I haven't been subscribed for a few years now and only buy it if I see something that I'm interested in. I only bought this issue because of the new look with a hope that it had improved. To me, the only improvement was the binding.

brendonj

Likes Dirt
I don't think many magazines can give you a story that hasn't already been done on a website somewhere anymore. As for the bike tests, I tend not to believe any of the tests are a true indication of the bikes flaws and positives when you read the article then turn the page and see an ad from the bike manufacturer saying pretty much the same thing.
I won't be renewing my subscription more so because I'm sick of being told every issue how good the riding in New Zealand is. Thanks Captain obvious!
I think there was some value in the scoring system and the shootouts - as it forced the authors to compare as opposed to just saying how wonderful the latest bike was - and sounding like a sales pitch rather than a review. But the above mentioned issue still prevailed.

The most obvious example of this I ever observed was a DH shoot out a few years back with the old style Norco and the new style Giant 0. The Norco scored the same as the Trek in everything but Geometry. When I checked the goemetry it was identical to the Trek, except that the testers winged about the stem not being right and trying it flipped around and then it being too short and making the bike unstable (huh?). And they didn't think it was reasonable to put a new stem on that suited the testers. Yet the Glory that year came with poorly balanced springs weights. So to get a good score for the most expensive rig (it was the Glory 0 versus the budget other rigs), AMB swapped out the shock spring. Ever since them I have been very wary of their conclusions.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think many magazines can give you a story that hasn't already been done on a website somewhere anymore.

Agree here,
At first I thought it was going to be a fairly easy thing to do.
I was reviewing the Rocky mountain Slayer 70 for a long term tester, unfortunately that will be ending soon. :(
I did find it hard to find things to write about all the time, otherwise I would be repeating myself every second issue.
Sometimes I would be out there on the trail and try to think about an aspect of the bike while trying to remember it when I get home, maybe I need a Dictaphone to record my thoughts.
The best thing though was taking to the races and letting people ride it to see if they thought about the same things.

it's all a matter of opinion i guess.

I am not a wordsmith, so I'm not expecting a Pulitzer for my efforts. i just hope people understood what I was talking about.

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
I've been getting the ipad version for a few months, and the latest issue was pretty average. The whole change of style is no good, i thought it was going pretty well, but i guess they decided it was time for a change.

On the subject of mtb mags, on ipad you can get a years subscription of mountain bike action for something like $10, which is a bargain!

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I looked for the ipad version a couple of weeks ago but gave up - all I could find was paper version subscription.
Agree, a lot of the OS mags offer better value subscriptions, but at the same time most are pretty heavy on advertising.

skinnyboy73

Likes Bikes
I looked for the ipad version a couple of weeks ago but gave up - all I could find was paper version subscription.
Agree, a lot of the OS mags offer better value subscriptions, but at the same time most are pretty heavy on advertising.
The latest Mountain Bike Action is that personified, half of the mag was an advert for Manitou/Answer and its related group products.

For bike mags Privateer can't be beat, such a good read and the smell is divine!

crashed again

Cannon Fodder
I was quite disappointed with the newest one too. A lot of spelling and general grammar mistakes which I'd not seen before in previous issues.

Flow magazine should be a good one. The shorter guy, Chris? from AMB is one of the main people. Looking forward to it

CresoDH

Likes Dirt
Me to i thought it was poor bigger yes but 90% of that was ads no downhill besides a picture of a bike no one i know could afford & to top it off on one page it said go on our facebook page & tell us your thoughts basiclly said what ive said here no swearing or any thing smartass & within 2 minutes they deleted my comment so AMB you will not see another cent from me REVOLUTION kicks its ass anyway just a shame theirs only 4 issues a year

nonch

Likes Bikes
I was quite disappointed with the newest one too. A lot of spelling and general grammar mistakes which I'd not seen before in previous issues.

Flow magazine should be a good one. The shorter guy, Chris? from AMB is one of the main people. Looking forward to it
Yeah I noticed heaps of mistakes compared to usual.

Also, I picked up Spoke magazine recently - quality writing, pics and production.

Last edited:

Capone

Likes Dirt
Buying AMB is like the Holocaust never again. Happy to keep throwing my money at Revolution and the occasional Dirt