The new HSV MALOO 307KW UTE

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
it looks like they had a different committee design each panel with no contact between them until the final moment.

plus its fat, slow and will (most likely) handle like a cow.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Stuff air bags man... I wouldnt even bother with getting a ute like a hilux to do up. I would make a street sleeper, something like a honda civic and drop a S2000 motor in it or put a Integra motor in it, some cams, change the comperssion, extractors, exhaust, cold air induction ect ect ect... Keep it all naturaly aspurated and aim for 300kw at the wheels and you would have a fuckin rocket. Oh and dont forget to gut the shit out of the interior. Only things you need like driver seat and the dash board ect...

Now that would rape a maloo ute.
lol. its funny because you have no idea.

yet you use terms like "comperssion" and "extractors" to make it seem like you do.

have you got any idea of the amount of work it takes to hit 300kw atw in a small capacity 4cyl? ANY idea? at all? didn't think so.

plus as stated, low down torque would be non-existant.. as would any kind of driveability. you'd be better off with almost anything else.

Ivan

Eats Squid
To true. So many utes aren't even use for utes now, they're just owned by posers!
That's because your still looking at it being a ute, when it is more a 2 seater sports car, with a very big boot.

And before anyone jumps on me about the title "sports car", you really need to look into exactly how quick one off these maloo's ( and all the other "sport's" utes) really are. Go and drive one and tell me your not impressed. They blitz in a straightline, corner well, and stop just as good. 14s 1/4 miles for a stock car is actually very fast. And in previous Motor magazine shootout's these ute's have posted very quick laptimes, quicker than some other "sportscars" .

The only impractical thing about it may be the price tag. You can get similar performance from cheaper utes.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
lol. its funny because you have no idea.
have you got any idea of the amount of work it takes to hit 300kw atw in a small capacity 4cyl? ANY idea? at all? didn't think so.
HAAAAAAA!

So true. Revell - you need to have a look at just how much 300kw atw is, and how it can be achieved in a small capacity 4cyl motor.

I'll give you a hint, it involves a turbo and some of these > $. Naturally aspirated.........oh, I can't see from the tears, I'm laughing so hard.

http://www.castlehillexhaust.com.au/customer-cars.php for some quick LS1/LS2 cars, and what they will put out with just cam/chip/valvespring/diff gearing/intake/exhaust modifications, plus a little help from the ol' nitrous.

Last edited:

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
Holden have some big balls releasing a car so um.... different? I think that there hideous. My understanding is that they pretty much just bought the engines from GM and dropped them straight into the maloo's? They dont do anything for me.

Pro's
none?

Con's
- The technology in the car didnt advance at all
- whats with the pissy little fender things?
- It's October and they've just realeased there '07 utes?
- $60k minimum price

floody

Wheel size expert
Why is that?

Sorry, despite it's technological anachronism, the pushrod V8 is probably the greatest engine ever made.

And lets face it, the Japanese 4 cylinder road car engine only caught up to the Italian 4 cylinder DOHC engine in the late 70's/ early 80's after the Ities had been doing them for near 40 years (with the British)
Agreed on point one. People, show me an engine as reliable, torquey, smooth, and compact with the same grunt.

I'm going to go way off topic here...

As for the Japs versus the euros and poms and four cylinder road engines...They got into building those sort of motors in the late 60's and by the time they'd hit their straps most of them were both more powerful, more compact, cheaper and more reliable than the euro/pom items.

1970ish Big valve Sprint Lotus-Ford twincam ; 126hp, 110 ft/lb, big cams, big compression, short service life, very limited lifespan.

early 1970's Toyota 2T-G; 125hp, 109ft/lb, bog stock mass produced Corolla engine.

2T-G with a similar cam spec, compression, carbs to the sprint Lotus is beyond 150hp.
To build a big bore, 1720cc, 180hp Lotus costs about $25,000; to build a 1.8l, 180hp 2T-G costs about $2,000 give or take.

Talk 16v motors, again a period correct example... Say BDA vs Nissan LZ
LZ20, 199 - 250hp.
BDX Group 4 works motor, 2.1 litres, 240hp.

LZ14 Formula Pacific 240hp, 1.4 litres, 11,000rpm.
BDA 1.6 litre Formula Atlantic, 1.6 litres, 242hp.
4AGE Toyota Formula Atlantic, 1.6 litres, 240hp.

The Japanese came late into the game.not only caught up, but then proceeded to merrily crap all over the Euro/Anglo gear almost immediately. Generally everything they've ever copied they've substantially improved (re BSA A10, Kawasaki W1; Mercedes SOHC six, Nissan L series).

And the NA, S2000 motor in a civic, 300kw comment..Bullshit. You'd need about 250hp/litre to manage that. Not going to happen.

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
Stuff air bags man... I wouldnt even bother with getting a ute like a hilux to do up. I would make a street sleeper, something like a honda civic and drop a S2000 motor in it or put a Integra motor in it, some cams, change the comperssion, extractors, exhaust, cold air induction ect ect ect... Keep it all naturaly aspurated and aim for 300kw at the wheels and you would have a fuckin rocket. Oh and dont forget to gut the shit out of the interior. Only things you need like driver seat and the dash board ect...

Now that would rape a maloo ute.
probably the most stupid comment EVER. not just an idiot, he's a confident idiot.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Back on topic, I like the design, apart from the rear tail lights. They may make sense in person, but too BMW for me at the moment, or something.

Good, big, strong aggressive front end. Their designers do have a knack for pulling off a good SS/HSV front end. VY was a highlight I reckon, and some of the last HSV VZ utes.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
GMC sierra with escalade front end.
ugh. the Caddy front end on that looks hideous.

My point of posting the pic of my ute was to say that once you start getting things like this Maloo and that GMC/Caddy, it ceases to be a ute for the purposes of being a ute. Seriously, good luck getting your 1m^3 or whatever of gravel in the back of that GMC (or all the bloody lo-luxes you see around) and still be able to drive over speedbumps or use it for what it is designed. It stops being a ute, and starts being an ugly poseur excuse for a ute.

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
ugh. the Caddy front end on that looks hideous.

My point of posting the pic of my ute was to say that once you start getting things like this Maloo and that GMC/Caddy, it ceases to be a ute for the purposes of being a ute. Seriously, good luck getting your 1m^3 or whatever of gravel in the back of that GMC (or all the bloody lo-luxes you see around) and still be able to drive over speedbumps or use it for what it is designed. It stops being a ute, and starts being an ugly poseur excuse for a ute.
cars (sedans) were originally made for taking a person from A to B but it developed into more then that, just like utes. like all brands now release a work style ute and a more sporty style ute thats basically to look cool and go fast. its still called a 'ute' though.

davieg

Likes Dirt
i dont like it at all.
and i hate posers too.
but if some tradey with a cement mixer in the back draged off at some lights in one,
that would be cool.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
:confused: Two sentences you quoted, what are you on about?
My bad...
It all started off with someone quoting a 'worst cars in history' article by forbes in relation to a seriously ugly AMC (i think it was AMC) SUV. Brutally ugly. The quote was something like "There was a design team for the front, and a design team for the back the the two never spoke".

Now whenever there is a discussion on 'ugly' cars, some bastardisation of that quote always comes up. I seriously disagree with donthucktoflat. I believe that Holdens integration of a constant design language across its range is far more advanced than some of its competitors.

On product placement terms, Holden have pretty obviously realized that the utes arent used for load-bearing purposes, rather as a sporty ride. Styling is sharp, modern and agressive. The styling of the VE quite obviously has a clear goal in mind, and i think it wholistically achieves that.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Fuck im rapidly getting sick of that saying.
Designed by Committee is a very old saying, not derived from some Forbes article.
It means anything with no clear purpose or cohesion. Can apply not only to styling but even mechanical things.

Personally I think the Holden Commodore range looks great, perhaps in a '90s Japanese way, but the HSV styled ones are fugly and designed by committee adequately describes the inconsistent, tacked on styling crap they produce.