The Official TDF 2005 Megathread

Bodin

GMBC
Any tips on tonight's stage? I think it's the TTT, isn't it? I'm guessing the Disco team will be strong, but is anyone else aware of any other teams that are supposed to go well in Time Trials?

timduncan

Likes Dirt
ok Rik i suppose i get where your coming from ... i think youd have to be a pretty quick thinker and soak in what the consequences will be

as for the TTT i thnk that CSC, Quick Step and discovery will most probebly be up there

timduncan

Likes Dirt
emotions

what it looks like McEwen is pretty upset and went to his fellow aussie for some support...look at the face expressions pretty obvious

Attachments

swinna

Likes Bikes
tough call on robbie for pinning down stuart in the final sprint . he was only trying to stop himself from falling and he gets penalised! :(

JohnJohn

mtb-oz
A few points:

Tonight it's Discovery vs CSC. They're the only teams with anything to lose or gain. Everyone else are spectators.

Tour TTTs have wacky rules. Explanation here:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/?id=stages/tour054#rules

Preview stuff about TTT, by me, here (third item):

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/news/?id=/news/2005/jul05/jul05news2

The Tour is MUCH bigger than the Olympics, for road cyclists at least. Plenty of the world's top riders didn't show for the last Olympics (including one L Armstrong).

Because McEwen is a superb bike handler (I once watched him win a race by pulling a tight-corner overtaking move that would have put most of us on the deck) he rides the ragged and bleeding edge of what's acceptable more than most. His talent means he usually gets away with it, but when he crosses the line and gets pinged he should STFU and accept it with good grace.

BMX is definitely a full medal sport at the next Olympics, and rightly so. It's a hugely popular branch of cycling, with far more participants than track racing. Its place is earned end legitimate. The decision to drop the track TTs was made by the UCI, not the IOC. IOC just says "no extra medals for cycling; drop two to add two." IOC is alleged to have cooked the books to kill track events instead of the road time trial.

timduncan

Likes Dirt
hectic mess

swinna said:
look at stuart's arm...it's pushing down on robbie's bars, that ain't helping!
fair go stuart held his ground but robbie was there first .... i suppose youd have to ask the riders for the real deal ... its all to much of a shambles

Rik

logged out
swinna said:
tough call on robbie for pinning down stuart in the final sprint . he was only trying to stop himself from falling and he gets penalised! :(
Bullshit. Click on this link for a wmv stream of the finish, play the helicopter view over and over, you'll see O'grady was moving accross to the left a bit to jump on Boonen, who'd come from the left and drifted a fair bit to the right towing McEwen with him. This meant McEwen slowly got boxed in, but in no way does that justify the headbutting. He put himself at more risk of falling off by doing that silly move than if he'd just rode a straight line. O'Grady reacted well, if he'd swerved away from McEwens lean, it appears that Robbie more than likely would've gone down, and you could imagine the carnage then.

Will CSC put it all on the line just to stay in yellow for another few days? The results will be interesting due to the wacky timing rules, that's for sure.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Bodin said:
Any tips on tonight's stage? I think it's the TTT, isn't it? I'm guessing the Disco team will be strong, but is anyone else aware of any other teams that are supposed to go well in Time Trials?
not trying to sound bias (but knowing full well that I will anyway)

Phonak.

Elvis.

swinna

Likes Bikes
Rik said:
Bullshit. Click on this link for a wmv stream of the finish, play the helicopter view over and over, you'll see O'grady was moving accross to the left a bit to jump on Boonen, who'd come from the left and drifted a fair bit to the right towing McEwen with him. This meant McEwen slowly got boxed in, but in no way does that justify the headbutting. He put himself at more risk of falling off by doing that silly move than if he'd just rode a straight line. O'Grady reacted well, if he'd swerved away from McEwens lean, it appears that Robbie more than likely would've gone down, and you could imagine the carnage then.

Will CSC put it all on the line just to stay in yellow for another few days? The results will be interesting due to the wacky timing rules, that's for sure.
you aren't one of the judges are you?! :p

DW-1

Dirt Works
JohnJohn said:
Top 5, maybe even top 3, not not the win.
you talkin' TTT or overall???

if you're talkin' TTT...

Let's gamble.

Phonak fails to make the top 3 in the TTT and I'll pay up with some nice new Syncros mtb tires for that Klein of yours.

What are you betting if they do though?

Elvis.

DW-1

Dirt Works
JohnJohn said:
Since we're both predicting top 3, it's hardly a bet now is it?
alrighty..

I predict top 2.

well...?? you feelin' lucky punk?

well... are you?

Elvis.

JohnJohn

mtb-oz
You're on. Dunno WTF I'm bringing to the table though. I'd offer to sub-edit your website, but it looks like someone already has (at last! :) )

DW-1

Dirt Works
swinna said:
so elvis and wayne are the same person! cool! I use to work with Jeremy Barber at chatswood before he was repping for you guys, now i'm at King St Cyclery.
oh no.

We're different people. Just ask my phyciatrist...

Elvis.