the ol breakout plus and firefly +

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
thought id go for abit of a history lesson (somewhat anyways) and am rather keen to find who still has a set of the old 04 sherman breakout plus and the firefly plus with the the ti parts. Ive always had an interest in these, probably because the original 1.5" setup and what not. There was a few different models from memory with TPC and SPV? forget which was more suitable for which style but remember them dropping in value but quiet a substantial amount. Does anyone remember the internals much and the stanchion size and other such info, stanchion length. Remember alot of custom work and i think someone on here (rik?) was working on better travel adjustment system for them and a few other concepts?

basically if you remember anything about these id like to know, and if you know anyone who has set lying around pref with a 1.5" headtube. Always thought that had more potential...

Last edited:

PLUCAS

Likes Dirt
About all I can remember ifrom 04 in manitou is that the
Firefly came with 1-1/8" steerer and 6" travel with TPC damping and TI
spring
The Breakout were 1'5 (I dunno why it's not 1-1/2") steerer and 170mm
travel with SPV damping
I always wanted a set of flick's
I am no spv fan especially the earlier stuff
I had a set of 05 dual crown sherman slider which had SPV and did not like
the harsh feel but you can easily disable the spv or swap to tpc

DeeMax

Likes Dirt
I had a set of Sherman Firefly + and they were a 90-130mm SPV damped FR/DJ-Street fork when i was running them on my 06 P3. Great fork, except i had to regularly service 'em to keep the seals and stanchions non-sticky. Rebound adjustment didn't really have much range, I could tell the difference after riding the Shermans for a while and then stepping up to the Travis fork which had much more range of adjustability. Another problem I had with the bloody sherman is that after intense riding the steerer tube would come loose in the crown, and would cost $250 to get a new assembly. Also to get the reboud quick enough I also had to run oils alot thinner weight that was recommended and less of, even also sometimes having to run the SPV pressure under the minimum requirements too.

If you are after a sherman fork again, i'd recommend you get it with TPC+, my Stances felt better than any sherman i've rode and that was after fiddling wit spring rates and oild heights. A 1.5 steerer for more support, but only if your headtube can fit a 1.5.

Hope all the above is of any help to you mate.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
ILike with the RockShox lineup, there was a range of different setups that could be purchased with the forks. QR or 20mm Hex Axel lowers...(after '04, Camo lowers!) Older forks had less travel and used TPC+ damping which was replaced for SPV valving later. All featured (apart from the Jumper and Slider fork), some form of travel adjust, be it RTWD (40mm of travel adjust; 90-130 on older models or 110-150 on more recent ones) or the 'Rapid Travel II' switch which changed from 110/130 or 150/170...

Both forms of travel adjust you have to be weary of. RTWD (think U-turn) is really flimsy so dont be supprised if you get a fork with this broken. If it isnt broken, make sure you are stopped and off the bike when you adjust this. Manitou use alot of plastic in their forks which in the long run, just doesnt last. I have the older Rapid Travel feature in my Blacks...while yeah, its pretty cool, it only offers 20mm of adjustment...at the lower travel, the spring is preloaded and really stiff/hard...at the upper level, its pretty soft so keep that in mind. Preload and Compression adjusts on these forks did very little to actually change the feel of the fork...one had to get a new spring if you wanted to change this...parts are still in pretty good supply for these anyways.
I wrote this a while ago in regards to some kid upgrading KingPins to Sliders...it will help you get your head around the travel range for each model...

Damping. TPC is what your after. Beautiful damping system. Later models with SPV made the fork very inactive, especially in reagrds to small bump absorption bit is kinda handy if say your building a mid-long travel trail bike and are planning on riding it up hills. This limits you to the pre '04 models I think so you will not benafit from the increased travel in the latter models. You may however be able to retrofit a TPC cartridge to a latter fork but Im not sure what the situation is at Manitou.

Ti. Like what was said earlier, Ti was found on the Firefly. Probably the one your after if Ti is your thing.

1.5" Breakouts were the only models with the 1.5" steerer as you know. These are more likely to be found cheap as most sellers couldnt get rid of them! Might even be able to find the camo lowers edition. The direct compeditor at the time to the Breakout was of course the Marzocchi Z-150 FR which was arguable a more solid performer but only featured the 1 1/8th steerer.
All Sherman lowers are interchangabe from the QR to the Hex Axel equipped ones. Infact, all 32mm Manitou lowers can be interchanged (Gold Lable, later Minutes, Nixon and so on)
In regards to steerers separating from the crowns, this occured on my '03 Manitou Blacks. I highly doubt Manitou are going to have full upper assemblys laying around still but GripSport will be able to drive a small roll pin though the back of the crown/steerer to fix it into place. Cost me $40 or so and has not moved since. The pin doesnt protrude though the other side so it all looks nice and tidy and everything is nice and secure. Unfortunately, Grip cannot guarentee that the whole thing will be without creaking...but at least it is secure. Its just an alternative if you find a fork with that issue.

Rik was indeed the one who experimented with the travel adjust feature. He used a RockShox Psylo U-turn adjuster from memory...read further here. If your this way inclined, I believe CRC and Phantom Cycles still stock Psylo spares and at last check, they were going cheap...as little as $70!

Hope that helps dude and good luck! TPC Shermans are serioulsy the way to go!

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have sherman flicks with spv? 90-130 travel adjust never worked and were stuck on 130 but ive had them lowered to 80 now, my compression and rebound is full functional and great love these forks

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
damn ango, your posts have picked up in quality lately. your really making an effort tis good to see, just thinking of them for a cheap project if i sell my bike and yes im dont mind the odd tinker with things, ill re-read riks thread and see what he actually got up to. Id be up for some of these soon fellers when other things sell.

edit: hmm dont think i tinker enough to justify that much machining and turning down stuff... still i wonder if he still has them?

trade my frame for someone with some breakout plus 130-170mm and some cash, has to be 1.5" though lol

Last edited:

Rik

logged out
Sure do, about to install them on a new bike too... even though they've been surpassed by newer forks this is something special I've kept to use every now and then.