The One Bike

Does a "Do It All" Bike exist

• Total voters

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i heard the charge blender was a bit of a do it all bike. as stated in the dirt #100

Bike Radar only had good things to say about it. I reckon it looks pretty similar to what the hardtail I described would be.

What about the Cube Fritzz, the Marin Attack Trail, the Lapierre Spicy/Froggy or the Yeti 575/AR-7? In particular the Fritzz and the Froggy? Both are designed particularly for races like the megavelanche. Epic DH with long bursts of uphill in the middle. Able to take massive hits, very good at going down, pedal effecient, have dual ring set-up at the front. I guess the areas of the 'do-it-all' that they lack are particularly DJ/4X, and they wouldn't be amazingly fast at XC. But honestly I think they (Fritzz, Attack Trail, Spicy, Froggy, 575, AR-7) are getting to be as close as you can get.

Last edited:

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the comments peeps has definitely got me thinking ... especially about my build ...

there is no getting around my geometry on the bullit for XC and hill climbing ... but I've now played with some tire changes (turfed the shitty Kenda blue grooves and replaced them with slightly over worn crossmarks ... hell fun of loose corners I tell you :eek:) and got some slightly lighter hoops on the rear to replace the full on DH rims and I'm now much happier with its pedalling and acceleration. :)

but now I know I've compromised its FR and DH capabilities ... oh well, the search continues ... which is kinda part of the fun I guess.

BTW. I reckon a HT will never be the one bike ... I've got a Brodie Bigshot as well, which is the FR HT ... and although it can certainly do everything ... its no way near faster then the DH sled ... or as confidence inspiring at hucks then the bullit or even the stinky or as relaxing to ride fast as the Trance.
Hey Nerf,
Can I suggest ditching the 3ring setup and going with a 22-34/36 combo + lightweight bashguard (check out BBG online) and a Jump Stop as your inner guide? No more dropped chains on the downhill. As for tyres, you could try some Schwalbe NN 2.25 or 2.4's with the snakeskin sidewall; they are light, roll fast, but have great grip (and a shocking price to match!!). I have had good success with these. The new Kenda Excavator is also very good, cheap, light, great cornering, but a bit slower to pedal. Just a few suggestions to make your bike a bit less of a compromise... Cheers, Steve

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here, a bike plenty worthy of racing DH (180mm rear travel) at 14kg with a spec list that is pretty bloody strong, and if you want you can change parts over to be lighter still. It has a dual front ring, and height adjusting forks to change climbing geo. Really, you could swap to a 11-32 cassette (current is 11-26) and go single ring at the front with a light guide and it'd still be fine, infact it'd probably be lighter. If there is a '0' as a weight, it is because it has been included with something else, eg: the shock is already included in the frame weight.

Frame Lapierre Froggy 2990
Shock Fox DHXAIR 5.0 0
Fork Fox TALASRC2 2300
Headset Chris King NoThreadSet 102
BB Saint 0
Crankset Saint FC-M810-2 1090
Front Hub Industry 9 DH 2150
Front Rim Industry 9 DH 0
Front Tyre Maxxis High Roller UST 2.35 890
Rear Hub Industry 9 DH 0
Rear Rim Industry 9 DH 0
Rear Tyre Maxxis High Roller UST 2.1 665
Front Lever Formula The One 441
Front Caliper Formula The One 203mm 0
Rear Lever Formula The One 390
Rear Calliper Formula The One 160mm 0
Chainring Saint: Bash-36-22 0
chainguide e*13 DS 100
chain Sram PC-991 300
cassette SRAM PG970DH-11-26 325
Front Deraillieur SLX M665 142
Front Shifter XTR 215
Rear Deraillieur Shimano 105-RD-SS 221
Rear Shifter XTR 215
Pedals Time Z Control 525
Stem Sunline V1 DH 40mm 200
Handlebars Sunline V1 711x19mm 260
Grips Sunline Logo Thin 100
Seatpost Thompson Masterpiece 195
Saddle Sunline V1 207
14023g

How would that be for 'do-it-all'? Actually, thinking about it, it can do slopestyle, freeride, DH and rideable for enduro. But not so good for the whole street/DJ/4X scene. I'd ride it XC though personally. Either way, it's still my dream bike :D

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I'd be inclined to save the 300g off the wheels and go for the Enduro wheelset, as opposed to the i9 DH set.

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt
i) What rig you Got ... or What rig do you consider as a ..."Do it All Bike"
Santa Cruz VP Free(DH-8"X8.5"), Corsair Konig(SS-5.9"X5.1"), Giant Yukon(XC-4"XHT), Shimano BMX.
ii) How many or what styles do you use it for ... [are you really doing everything with it ?]
Hell NO!
iii) What other rigs have you ridden
To many.
iv) Would you have ridden the various styles you ride faster, better or with more confidence if you had a more specific bike to that style / track.
Shit yer!
v) Assume your on a group ride ... you all have roughly the same skillz and fitness ... everybody except you has a specific bike design for the style of track you are riding versus your "Do it All" rig ... Are you kicking arse ?
Only the pack mule's ass that I can't get out of the carpark.

There is No single bike that can win every bike event.

Dace

Squid
I had an sx trail that i used for pretty much everything from downhill to freeride to xc i guess i prefer a bike i can really enjoy the downhills on, but the sx was great for everything, I suppose the weight was holding me back a bit once i got to a certain fitness level but all that would require would be a bit more money spent on lightening up the shox and wheels The geometry was really spot on for me and i will probably be hard pressed to find a bike that was that nice, i guess you have to factor your fitness level into all of this and then decide whether the bike is holding you back from climbing faster, i believe it should be about 6 inches of travel to be able to perform downhill but be capable of xc as well.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i) What rig you Got ... or What rig do you consider as a "Do it All Bike"
I have a 2007 Scott Ransom 30
ii) How many or what styles do you use it for ... [are you really doing everything with it ?]
Alot of single trail, Ourimbah XC, Manly Dam, Awaba XC, Sparrow Hill XC, Majura Pines FR, Mt Stromlo DH/XC, Swansea Quarry FR and Ourimbah DH ... gently.
iii) What other rigs have you ridden
Ridden an 08 Glory Expert round Ourimbah and found it front heavy for XC and very nose divey for DH, hence the decison on the Scott. I ahve also previously owned a Norco Sassy.
iv) Would you have ridden the various styles you ride faster, better or with more confidence if you had a more specific bike to that style / track.
NO ... i am riding all the areas well within my capabilities, although the recent spate of stacks are making me wonder if I should slow down a little.
v) Assume your on a group ride ... you all have roughly the same skillz and fitness ... everybody except you has a specific bike design for the style of track you are riding versus your "Do it All" rig ... Are you kicking arse ? NO just keeping up and sticking to my own abilities. Example: Manly Dam .... my mate with a Giant Trance 2 kills me up the first climb but I equally kill him on the downhill section to the creek. Both crawl our shit out of that massive climb and onto the flat ..equal. Through the park and onto the final DH section and I smoke him again.

Last edited:

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
do it all bike

Giant Reign X you could ride some XC laps and do some DH maybe but no-way you'd be able to dirt-jump or ride street.

I started off on a Giant Reign 3 and can confirm that you CAN, ride DH at Oxy on it, Dirt jump at Redhill & Mortdale, and ride park at Five dock. Also pretty ok for 4X at homebush. Just need to pump the shocks up hard and put solid rims on it.

Also doesnt Chris Smith (UK Freeride dude) use a Reign for alott of his stuff?

Reign gets my vote if anything is going to get close for a do it all bike. Although i now ride an STP :p sorry guys