The Perfect Bastard

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Evening all,
I'm currently on the hunt for a frame for a bit of a bastard build, I've narrowed it down to specifics on the frame but am struggling to find anything that matches the requirements.
List as follows, must be:
Steel
29er specific (obviously)
able to run gears or single speed (prefer sliding dropouts but will settle for EBB)
Disc compatable, prefer internal rear disc brake.
Gear/brakes bosses on the top of the top tube.
affordable.

Have looked into the ususal suspects, soma, surly, niner etc the closest I've come too is voodoo bikes alas there is no Australian importer.

So lets hear it folks if you could build a bike with 29er wheels, geared, single speed, dirt drop, flat bar, tourer bastard bike what would the donor frame be?

Aaron

Big JD

Wheel size expert
evening all,
i'm currently on the hunt for a frame for a bit of a bastard build, i've narrowed it down to specifics on the frame but am struggling to find anything that matches the requirements.
List as follows, must be:
Steel
29er specific (obviously)
able to run gears or single speed (prefer sliding dropouts but will settle for ebb)
disc compatable, prefer internal rear disc brake.
Gear/brakes bosses on the top of the top tube.
Affordable.

Have looked into the ususal suspects, soma, surly, niner etc the closest i've come too is voodoo bikes alas there is no australian importer.

So lets hear it folks if you could build a bike with 29er wheels, geared, single speed, dirt drop, flat bar, tourer bastard bike what would the donor frame be?

Aaron
singular aaron - singular

MountGower

Likes Dirt
What size are you looking for? I have been thinking about selling my OnOne Inbred in 18" with matching fork. The cables go under the top tube, though. Is your cable requirement because of a frame bag? If so, the Inbred is full length cable outer, so no slicing of frame bag.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What size are you looking for? I have been thinking about selling my OnOne Inbred in 18" with matching fork. The cables go under the top tube, though. Is your cable requirement because of a frame bag? If so, the Inbred is full length cable outer, so no slicing of frame bag.
I'd be in the realm of 18.5-19in frame. Ideally would live the cables away from under the top tube for a bit of cx racing on the side. In saying that I'm sure I'll live. Pm me some details

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just about finished building up a Voodoo Bokor 29er, single or gears, cost me $299 from T7. so far so good - could be a good option for you.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be in the realm of 18.5-19in frame. Ideally would live the cables away from under the top tube for a bit of cx racing on the side. In saying that I'm sure I'll live. Pm me some details
CX racing?
How often do you reckon that a football field up here in QLD will be muddy enough that the racing they pretend is CX will need you to lug your bike on your shoulder Aaron?
The pics I saw of the last one there were guys cutting laps on their roadies. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CX racing?
How often do you reckon that a football field up here in QLD will be muddy enough that the racing they pretend is CX will need you to lug your bike on your shoulder Aaron?
The pics I saw of the last one there were guys cutting laps on their roadies. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Valid point.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm thinking I'll be settling for a kona honzo or the Surly karate monkey or ogre. Just waiting to hear about price. Stay tuned for the build.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Isn't the Honzo an All Mountain hardtail?

Do you mean the Rove?

No definitely the Honzo should be sweet with dirt drops & 1 gear, the rove may not make if toAustralian shores according to the kona rep + really a geared specific ride.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So how does that work in with:

or

Ideally would live the cables away from under the top tube for a bit of cx racing on the side.

It is a moving target.

:laugh: