The Perfect Park? Pump track / Hot Lap / Boulder wall / Skate Park / Gym - Ideas!

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Hi Rotorburners of the new and Farkiners of ye Old.

I've been thinking a lot lately of public open space and the use of skate parks / pump tracks / climbing walls in such areas. It's fantastic that we are fortunate enough to have these facilities available to us for free, but a part of me feels as though they are heavily under utilized and could be designed in a way to cater for a much larger demographic; the entire family - mom, dad, kids, grand parents - everyone. Why? For me, public open space should be a place where the whole family can hang out.

Every time I go to the pump track I wish my partner would come with me, but the sad fact is there's nothing for her to do; no place to really sit down and visually the place has an uninviting vibe for non-riders. Do you think that if these spaces were much more visually appealing, offered an alternative (such as a walking track, outdoor gym, play ground, running track etc) that you and your family would attend more?

I would really love to see how you guys picture the perfect park near your home. Please use images to represent what you want to see. I would also be interested to see your age and family status as well.

Below is mine:

Age 29
Family Status Engaged, 0 kids

Pop Up food truck park - Place to hang out, place for my partner to meet up with friends whilst I jib, place to get grub and coffee

Bouldering wall and park for kids - Keep the kids occupied whilst mom or dad play in the bike park or exercise

Asphalt pump track that bikes / skateboard / scooters can use - Lots of viewing points for moms / dads / family and friends to watch.

Outdoor and low maintenance gym for all ages

Attachments

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I've been thinking a lot lately of public open space and the use of skate parks / pump tracks / climbing walls in such areas. It's fantastic that we are fortunate enough to have these facilities available to us for free, but a part of me feels as though they are heavily under utilized and could be designed in a way to cater for a much larger demographic; the entire family - mom, dad, kids, grand parents - everyone. Why? For me, public open space should be a place where the whole family can hang out.

Every time I go to the pump track I wish my partner would come with me, but the sad fact is there's nothing for her to do; no place to really sit down and visually the place has an uninviting vibe for non-riders. Do you think that if these spaces were much more visually appealing, offered an alternative (such as a walking track, outdoor gym, play ground, running track etc) that you and your family would attend more?

I would really love to see how you guys picture the perfect park near your home. Please use images to represent what you want to see. I would also be interested to see your age and family status as well.
Interesting idea mate, I'm not familiar with the free facilities you mentioned, I'm guessing it's specific to your location? Guessing it comes down to how switched on councils are with planning and integrating their ideas.

I spose if the missus and kid could come and watch me crash I wouldn't have to rush home but at the same time I don't mind a bit of self time on the jumps or trails, or visiting different locations. Depends also what people's respective partner feel like doing as mine would prob prefer to sit and watch or go for a stroll and take some pics.

Where I am the river is nearby, so they can go for a stroll or play on nearby swings every few hundred metres, but if you are in inner city or suburbia i don't know what you'd do. How do you keep it interesting for many people, maybe nearby attractions not necessarily on site? Landmarks, features, existing facilities you can plonk a pumptrack within spitting distance of?

placebo

Likes Dirt
If you want to go to a pump track and enjoy yourself, she should respect that. People don't need to bring their idiot children, decrepit grandparents, and disinterested spouses everywhere they go and just stink up the place for everyone else. If they don't like it, respect their views, and work on finding other interests in common. Every activity doesn't need a cafe with free wifi and a creche.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Anyone who's spent any time in a skatepark will know that children should not be there.
They are either left behind by uncaring parents to get in everyone's way as they see fit, which is to say always, or they are accompanied by even bigger idiots who think the park is for their little shit rag and no one else.
If you try and ask these people to move, especially the shrew mummy crowd, it's met with indignation.

stirk

Burner
The best thing about hitting the trails is leaving behind the fappachino, hipster food cart, whinging kids even if they're not yours you can still hear them.

This is my playground.

IMG_20160204_160119_zps4au5y4qf.jpg

Married, two kids under 10
I look forward to the kids growing up and riding with me.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Ok, so your partner isn't interested in heading to the pump track with you, but it doesn't sound like she's stopping you going at all...you just wish there was stuff there that would draw her in? Give it some time man - I think for many of us, that's actually the ideal situation!

I don't think that all places have to be all things to all people. I certainly don't think that if mum and dad bring the kid along to have a go on a pump track / skate park etc that they should feel unwelcome, but that doesn't mean that the entire place has to have a full family friendly vibe - because the vast majority of people using those facilities will be there hanging out with their friends, and I think it's important that there are places to cater for them - even if they are on public land.

Around here (Canberra), there are a lot of places that cater to families who want outdoors time with the kids. Places like Stromlo Forest Park have a dedicated kids bike area, with paths, play equipment and BBQ's, a couple hundred metres from the MTB trail head. Personally, when I'm spending time with my family, I want that time to be all about them, and that means activities that work for them, not necessarily me. But when I want to do my stuff, I want the freedom to go and do that unencumbered. In my family, our time has to be spread around to fit everyone in - my wife owns and rides horses, which is a huge time commitment. I MTB, which again can be a big chunk out of weekend time when I'm going for a ride - even here, where the trails are so close by. And then we always try to fit in time that's all about spending time together as a family.

Things will probably change as my kids get older - it won't be long until my boy's getting confident enough on his bike to tackle some gentle dirt riding, and my daughter is already horse mad (sigh...my poor poor wallet), so the dynamic will change. For now though, the thought of all heading out together, and then mum or dad heading off to do some other activity - even if it's right next door - just doesn't work for me.

Married, 40. 6yo boy, 4yo girl

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Below is mine:

Age 29
Family Status Engaged, 0 kids

Pop Up food truck park - Place to hang out, place for my partner to meet up with friends whilst I jib, place to get grub and coffee

Bouldering wall and park for kids - Keep the kids occupied whilst mom or dad play in the bike park or exercise

Asphalt pump track that bikes / skateboard / scooters can use - Lots of viewing points for moms / dads / family and friends to watch.

Outdoor and low maintenance gym for all ages
My lga (Newcastle and Lake Macquarie) doesn't do public space well. They rarely deviate from grass-fountain-concrete path. I often think how nice it would be to see a roll in from the roof of the toilets in civic Park that ran through a few dirt jump lines...

The best move for increasing the bouldering wall popularity is to make all the hand holds those donger shaped ones...