The Photo Snob Thread

Hahah yeah... it's a bastard. I desaturated it initially but that just made it stand out even more! I might try and blur it a bit tonight to see if I can take some attention off it.

original with no flare. I'm torn. Mainly because the dimly lit part of the canyon is quite interesting but you really have to look hard on a large version. On a smaller version the detail is lost, hence with the flare it cues the eye to the better executed parts of the photo. Keen to hear opinions though.
Thought about cropping it tighter into more of a panorama? You would lose some of the canyon, which is a shame, but you also lose the tree.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Bloody heck thats friggin sweet!

What equipment did you use? Looks like there's a flash in there or something..
Camera: Canon 40d
Lens: 50mm f1.8
Shutter: 1/250th
Aperture: f6.3
ISO: 100

Flash to his right at 1/2 power pointed at him and small flash at left pointed at the ramp at 1/1 power..

zac

Likes Dirt
"Holy shit" and "amazing" come to mind.. What an epic shot! A tighter crop maybe if you were to nit-pick, but personally I think it's perfect.

In other news, bought 8 rolls of film today to take overseas (and to waste on happy-snaps here at home).
Awesome to see film being bought/used/developed/printed. What'd you get? I just picked up some Delta 3200, Pan F 50 and Superia 1600 cause the F5 was getting hungry...

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Ben, I much prefer the no-flare version. I think the flare is a little too distracting. I also like the clouds top-right, adds depth and perspective to the photo I reckon, even the tree does the same to an extent. Without them I have a feeling it might look a little too flat. It may not be the best exposure, but I think you've captured a beautiful moment in nature the best you could've given the light.

tu plang

knob
Ben, I much prefer the no-flare version. I think the flare is a little too distracting. I also like the clouds top-right, adds depth and perspective to the photo I reckon, even the tree does the same to an extent. Without them I have a feeling it might look a little too flat. It may not be the best exposure, but I think you've captured a beautiful moment in nature the best you could've given the light.
Yeah... now I look at the one with flare and wonder what I was thinking... It's still not perfect but I do prefer this last edit much more. For some reason it is a bit grainy and I can't put my finger on why. I almost think it may be the scale of it; it just looks like a little cliff over there and I want to count the leaves on each tree. Thanks for all the feedback guys and thanks for taking my blinkers off Leitch. When you stare at something too long...

Edit... im still not happy with it... grrr going to have another crack tonight.

Last edited:

Xplor

Likes Dirt

Thoughts on this photo? It has not been edited, straight of the camera. Might print and put it in a frame for my cousin (boy in photo) for his birthday.

or this photo

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Composition is very basic and centred, which can work at times, but these could have been improved with basic "rule of thirds". They are also underexposed (on my iMac anyway). I do understand that it is straight out of camera. It is a good shot, but just could be better with little changes :) .

I hope you dont mind, but here is the top photo with nothing but a slide of the exposure dial and a crop in light room. It doesn't look great due to it being a veryyyy small jpg. But still.

5884199490_9617de2d54.jpg

alex.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tried again...... again. Probably a little over saturated and not perfect, but it's better. Hahah. I might try for 5th time soon ;)

Drew.

Eats Squid
Tried again...... again. Probably a little over saturated and not perfect, but it's better. Hahah. I might try for 5th time soon ;)

Me, personally, would give the sequence a miss. You've got the first two frame, which, if i'm going to be honest look horrible.

The first as direct flash light onto it, and looks tacky. The second has horrible highlights/vignetting. And well, you can exactly have the last 2 as a sequence.

What i'd aim to do is make something out of that last frame where he's going around that wooden berm; To me, that's got good potential as a shot. Fairly decent lighting, a nicer composition (though some of the foreground is quite boring), but never the less, potential!

Just a suggestion, i just think more can be gained from having less!

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Me, personally, would give the sequence a miss. You've got the first two frame, which, if i'm going to be honest look horrible.

The first as direct flash light onto it, and looks tacky. The second has horrible highlights/vignetting. And well, you can exactly have the last 2 as a sequence.

What i'd aim to do is make something out of that last frame where he's going around that wooden berm; To me, that's got good potential as a shot. Fairly decent lighting, a nicer composition (though some of the foreground is quite boring), but never the less, potential!

Agreed. Not such a fan of this sequence Alec. Sorry mate.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Fair call probably, haha. I can see how it wouldn't be many's cup of tea. TBH I think it was more that I had the idea of the photo in my head for so long that I had to get something out of it once I did it, + I made the poor kid walk up and down so many times hahaha. I might give the wooden berm shot a go next time I'm up there, I think there's a race in 2 weeks or something.

Anyway here's the video from it, finally Episode 2, haha. Keep in mind these are of course more about entertainment then anything :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIqhMQTtxU

And for anyone that didn't see 1, which, clearly, is a fair bit better hahaha.

Why would you want to remove the tree? I really like this shot as it is. Perhaps just add some dodging on the foreground to bring it out slightly. Great shot Peter
Thanks Craig. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: This is NOT my photo but it looks so cool so I thought it could chill with the Snobbers.

It's WAY bigger than I thought and expected, despite this, I think it needs to be seen big to be appreciated.

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
That ^ is freaking awesome. Love it.

And because I haven't posted photos for a rather long time, and incase you don't follow me on FACEBOOK or check out my WEBSITE, here are a couple of shots from the last few months...

As you can most likely tell, i'm loving the surf-photography game. Check out my FLICKR for more info.