The Photo Snob Thread

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, I'm quite humbled by the feedback, and it's appreciated.

I'm getting married the Saturday after this, then I'm off to Vanuatu, to which I'll have a new body and UWA for, and I'm pretty amped!

Tristan - Great read mate, thanks for taking the time to write it!

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I'm getting married the Saturday after this, then I'm off to Vanuatu, to which I'll have a new body and UWA for, and I'm pretty amped!
Holy sh*t, I can only imagine how your wedding photographer is going to feel knowing the groom he's shooting produces work like this...

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
So FBI has used one of my photos without permission... What should one do?

http://www.fbiradio.com/events/the-nectars-panama-fox-valley
SUE THE C*NTS FOR ALL THEY'RE WORTH!!

No, i'd say have a chat to the guys in the band...find out if they submitted the photo (I can see that being the likely case). You could send FBI an invoice but it's always hard to know exactly how much for, or how they'll respond. They might just take the photo down and that'll be the end of it. I'd at least get in contact with them and find out how they got their hands on the photo and if they plan on using it for anything more. Don't go in guns blazing as it'll burn any relationship you may be able to establish - find out if they like your shots, and if you want to keep shooting live music offer to shoot more for them to have your photos and name on their website. FBI has basically very little funding so I don't think there's a big chance of them offering you much cash for your photos, but hey, it may lead to something in the future...

JT252

Likes Dirt
Have to apologise in advance that i couldn't get closer or a better angle just thought i'd throw these up to show people some crazy shit.

Went for a drive with a mate who kayaks yesterday as it was bucketing down.

This place was massive the river was up 1.4 meters after 50+mm of rain. Standing at the Bottom was like being in a shower and this is from 40 meters away.

Anyway here he is doing a 9 Meter drop (about 3 stories).

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
SUE THE C*NTS FOR ALL THEY'RE WORTH!!
Yeah, I spoke to the guys in the band and from what I understand is they just went onto their Facebook and looked for shots the band were tagged in. Lo and Behold there are my shots (on my facebook) with my watermark (which they cropped out).

heavyp

You heard it here first
So FBI has used one of my photos without permission... What should one do?

http://www.fbiradio.com/events/the-nectars-panama-fox-valley
suing them would be more hassle then its worth especially when there not a super big company plus you'll burn bridges in the industry if your shooting a lot of bands and you'll see yourself not getting any work probably ive seen it happen in the surf industry and the commercial industry people that were major players in the photog game never to be seen gracing the pages or websites again.

You could always submit under a different name thou like some.

tu plang

knob
As everyone has said, you stand to gain almost nothing but could lose some face so probably best to be reasonable about it all. The fact that they cropped out the watermark annoys me though. That is really a sinister element from my point of view.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Called them up, they've now accredited it. Director said he'd speak to the web editor (probably just saying that to shove me off the line).

TimCz83

Likes Dirt
Its one of those frustrating things isnt it - finding your pics stolen on the internet. Ive never done this with the intention of selling anything, but I find my landscape pics popping up on a few sites now and then. I usually just point out to the people that what theyve done isnt exactly legal, and the least they could do is put my name down as the source, and credit me for the image. But you definitely have the right to charge for the photo. As others have mentioned, I think you'd get further by just talking to the people (which obv youve done) rather than sueing them.

Ive had a few people ask if they can use my pics for things - im not out to make money so I usually just say yes as long as they credit me. Its always just been random websites and the only notable one was Powderlife Magazine in Niseko. Only once have I ever been offered money for a photo, and It was a simple picture of my dog taken on a happy snap camera that a pet food company wanted!

Not worth the hastle in my opinion half the time.

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
I never upload full res images and always save them for web resolution only. Even if they take my watermark off the EXIF still has my information.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
So since they edited the page and put my website up, someone has already got in contact with me and has asked for work to be done. Glad I spoke up, pissed off that this shit happens though.

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
So since they edited the page and put my website up, someone has already got in contact with me and has asked for work to be done. Glad I spoke up, pissed off that this shit happens though.
It's all about timing though - you getting them to add details to the photo now means that it has been refreshed and the right person has come along. Who knows if they would have noticed it otherwise. Good outcome I'd say!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
It's all about timing though - you getting them to add details to the photo now means that it has been refreshed and the right person has come along. Who knows if they would have noticed it otherwise. Good outcome I'd say!
I have to agree with this statement. It's all timing!

JT252

Likes Dirt
That. is. awesome.:single_eye: I dont get how they do that without landing upside down. . . unless he did ha. Go back with good light though, if you want to make it even more awesomer.
Haha thanks man. i wish i could have got it in better light but i had too work with what i got. Unfortunately there probably won't be enough water to run it now.