The Photo Snob Thread

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
im looking to buy my first iMac really soon and would like to know your opinions. Ill be using it for editing my footage shot on my Canon 60D and also editing my photos on Photoshop. I want something that will render really fast and wont have really long loading times for programs. Im only a student so funds are very low, but because this is such a big investment i want to make sure im making the right choice. Is it really worth the extra money to upgrade to the 3.1ghz and AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB ... Am i honestly going to notice to the difference?

Opinions please .

Im picking between:

iMac
27-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

Price: $1949

OR

iMac
27-inch: 3.1GHz
3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

Price: $2299

Can either of these machines take more the 4gigs? 4 gig is not enough for even photoshop.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
They can go up to 16Gb.. I have a 60D and recently got the 27" 3.1 GHz - upgraded to 12Gb ram - works fine.
Oh ok , but 'Is it really worth the extra money to upgrade to the 3.1ghz and AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB ... Am i honestly going to notice to the difference?'

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
im looking to buy my first iMac really soon and would like to know your opinions. Ill be using it for editing my footage shot on my Canon 60D and also editing my photos on Photoshop. I want something that will render really fast and wont have really long loading times for programs. Im only a student so funds are very low, but because this is such a big investment i want to make sure im making the right choice. Is it really worth the extra money to upgrade to the 3.1ghz and AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB ... Am i honestly going to notice to the difference?

Opinions please .

Im picking between:

iMac
27-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

Price: $1949

OR

iMac
27-inch: 3.1GHz
3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

Price: $2299
Both will handle HD footage from the 60D just fine. Will you notice the difference? No, I doubt it. If you want your rendering time to be quicker, purchase some more RAM and/or upgrade the CPU to the i7. But in all seriousness, both models will do fine.

You will find the extra real eastate for photo editing/viewing to be amazing.

Last edited:

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Both will handle HD footage from the 60D just fine. Will you notice the difference? No, I doubt it. If you want your rendering time to be quicker, purchase some more RAM and/or upgrade the CPU to the i7. But in all seriousness, both models will do fine.

You will find the extra real eastate for photo editing/viewing to be amazing.
Sweet, looks like i will get the cheaper option then max out the ram myself when i have the money. Thanks guys.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Ahh, come home today with a new 27inch iMac 3.1ghz. Now the fun game of transferring everything to my external hard drive from old computer to new computer.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Ahh, come home today with a new 27inch iMac 3.1ghz. Now the fun game of transferring everything to my external hard drive from old computer to new computer.
Just don't drop it on your foot. I have a decent scar on mine from dropping a fully loaded iMac box as I went to take the bloody thing out. Still worth the pain! lol

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Just don't drop it on your foot. I have a decent scar on mine from dropping a fully loaded iMac box as I went to take the bloody thing out. Still worth the pain! lol
Dude... it ways sooo much. I broke a sweat walking to the car with it. Damn...

But man its an amazing computer, still learning out to use it! Though the quality of the screen is just amazing.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Are you for real dude? Plenty of people are still using 32-bit Windows systems, which can't even address more than 4Gb, let alone make it available to any single application.
When i said 'not enough' i wasn't saying it wont still work. I bought a brand new mac book pro which came with 4gigs. It worked but when i went to 8gigs i noticed a huge difference. I was just suggesting if he was buying a new machine that he should make sure it could support more or 4 gigs, no point outlaying so much money and being restricted.

But since the mac can run 16gigs all is fine.

faz

Likes Dirt
It's not stills photography, but still worth a look.
I'd love to do this.

[video=vimeo;30067977]http://vimeo.com/30067977[/video]
That's outstanding!! I want to know how they got the footage back though, it didn't look like it was being transmitted so where do you wait for your camera to hurtle back to earth at terminal velocity?

Lemontime

Eats Squid
That's outstanding!! I want to know how they got the footage back though, it didn't look like it was being transmitted so where do you wait for your camera to hurtle back to earth at terminal velocity?
They usually put a gps/transmitter in them and just go on a hunt for it when it comes down.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Thanks Tristan. I am only an assistant/second shooter at these weddings, so its hard to get shots im really happy with as the subjects are always under instruction of my boss, so they always have to look at his camera, he always has the better position/angle and better cameras, which makes sense, as he is the boss! These were all shot with a 50mm. Natural light love, my boss is loving me at the moment as i am actually teaching him things, its a good feeling :)

Need to learn to edit better, and use photo shop, light room will not cut it forever.. :(

Arhhhh just realised how rushed the edit is on the first image..