The Photo Snob Thread

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Canon 50mm f1.4 or Canon 85 f1.8?

Good to see you posting Chalkie! The photos don't have the wow factor I have learnt to expect from you, but still nice photos.

Yeah I know, feeling a little off my game as of late. Its been a while since I've taken something I'm really pleased with. Think some new gear is in order to reignite the spark.

Anyone got some suggestions of which of these to add to my arsenal (10-22mm, 28-75, Canon 50mm f1.8)

• Canon 50mm f1.4
  • Canon 85mm f1.8
  • Other Suggestions?

I love my 50mm f1.8 but it definitely is a little on the soft side. The upgrade to the f1.4 seems like a pretty good option especially for the price. Alternatively I could get an L lens (50mm, 85mm, or 135mm) but I think if I'm dropping that much cash I'd be better off upgrading my 400D body to a 7D.....

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Yeah I know, feeling a little off my game as of late. Its been a while since I've taken something I'm really pleased with. Think some new gear is in order to reignite the spark.

Anyone got some suggestions of which of these to add to my arsenal (10-22mm, 28-75, Canon 50mm f1.8)

• Canon 50mm f1.4
  • Canon 85mm f1.8
  • Other Suggestions?

I love my 50mm f1.8 but it definitely is a little on the soft side. The upgrade to the f1.4 seems like a pretty good option especially for the price. Alternatively I could get an L lens (50mm, 85mm, or 135mm) but I think if I'm dropping that much cash I'd be better off upgrading my 400D body to a 7D.....
Sigma 50 and 85 f/1.4 are both fantastic. Highly recommended.

tu plang

knob
Great shot Calan. Great model, great location and great light - love it. Not to say this composition isn't great but I bet there's plenty more great compositions possible with those ingredients.

edit: ... hadn't clicked the link - awesome.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Some great new images on here lately.

Here's a sneak peek from a shoot on Sunday. If you'd like to see some of the results, go here

Hayley-BTS-019.jpg

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Callan, these are awesome. I really like that you have posted that shot of her pulling a funny face. Not every shot needs to be a perfect pose, having fun is part of the experience.

Craig, what can I say, except the series was excellent!

wombat

Lives in a hole
So Tristan got me thinking about a 135L as a tele option for carting overseas instead of the 70-200, but I'm really not sure just how long I really want. Then I remembered I've got a 1.4TC (Canon) kicking around here somewhere that wouldn't take up much space in a bag. I'm pretty sure it's compatible with the 135 and whilst I know I can't expect top notch optics with it I'm wondering if it might do the trick in a pinch.
Anyone got any real world experience with such a setup?

Also looking at daypack/cam bag options (ended up getting a Kathmandu rucksack as the main pack). Don't want too big, and would ideally like rear panel only access. Crumpler Karachi outpost ticks the boxes in the small version, but it's stupid expensive, and all the Lowepro/Kata options I looked at today were accessed normally, with pretty exposed zippers. F-Stop Guru is pretty sweet too, but can't find them anywhere in the country.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
So Tristan got me thinking about a 135L as a tele option
Actually it was Leitch...we just have similar avatars so without reading our names I can see why the excellent knowledge imparted by him would've been assumed to be me. :very_drunk:

I haven't tried the 135L with a converter, but i'm sure it'd be pretty sweet. I was actually thinking about getting one (again) for the compactness and insane IQ for weddings and travelling, and then adding a 2x converter for a 270mm f/4 for surfing, although I don't know if it'd be long enough to use reasonably for that kinda thing. To be honest, in Europe, I can't see you needing the teleconverter at all...even shooting DH races and the like the 135mm length is fucking awesome and the bukake you can capture with it is so creamy and smooth... (;)) Leitch knows all about it. On full frame it's amazing.

Can't help much with the bag question, but out of interest are the bags you're looking at backpacks, or would you like a small shoulder/courier-style bag?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
F-Stop Guru is pretty sweet too, but can't find them anywhere in the country.
There is a lady who deals with F-Stop down here in Melbourne (well, as far as I know she still does it). I know previously she's been happy to meet up with potential buyers (locally) but she may very well know of someone more convenient to your location.

The name is Kerry Sumner - can PM you a contact number if you'd like?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Actually it was Leitch...we just have similar avatars...
Can't help much with the bag question, but out of interest are the bags you're looking at backpacks, or would you like a small shoulder/courier-style bag?
Yeah, in my defence on a forum you're pretty much the same person. Just sayin...
Getting pretty keen for the 135L though, looking at some sample shots and it's pretty schmick.

Good question on the bag though, I hadn't actually considered taking a shoulder bag. Really, I just want something to use as a day bag/pack, that can safely fit my cam gear and a little bit of clothes and gear for say an overnight trip. Did you take a satchel when you were doing Europe?

Ango: thanks man, if I decide to go that way I'll get in touch.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK so im heading to nz in august for 3 weeks and snowboarding and planning on taking the camera. But im just wondering if anyone has some tips for shooting in the bright glarey snow. Ive heard a polarising filter is needed but some hints would be great.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Good question on the bag though, I hadn't actually considered taking a shoulder bag. Really, I just want something to use as a day bag/pack, that can safely fit my cam gear and a little bit of clothes and gear for say an overnight trip. Did you take a satchel when you were doing Europe?
I'll just chime in here on the bag front. Recently picked up an Ogio Atiba mini and have found it to be really good. It fits more than I need to take with me to Uni and the thing that really sold me on it is the fact that it doesn't really look like a camera bag, nor does it have Lowepro written on it so it isn't as likely to attract attention when/if I travel with it. There's also ample room for a few t shirts and a pair of shorts along with a few basic toiletries. As far as I know, Ogio may have stopped producing the bag however Lusty (Ogio's Australian distributer) had a few in stock last I heard. Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly sure rrp is roughly around the $130 mark at the moment and you can pick them up through most bike shops or moto stores.

ohio-atiba-mini-general.jpg

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd post up another shot before I head off to NZ on Monday for ten days around the South Island :D
I'm starting to try some fashion and beauty shots to add to my portfolio, so a friend of mine offered to pose for me again.
It's not perfect that's for sure but I'm relatively happy with it

6885528832_d69afc9cfa_z.jpg

Hopefully I'll have a few half decent pics from NZ when I return

tu plang

knob
Pretty good stuff Peter but since I've assumed you'd like some constructive criticism I'm going to proceed with some :p .

I think the first one (tiger) is tops. You've gone for a pretty dark, moody shot and I think the range of tones is spot on. Plenty of unused space in the blacks but I wouldn't say wasted - subject is nicely accentuated.

Second one (elephant) I think is lacking detail in the shadows too much. Black point is too high. I think the highlights are right but I think it'd be nice to have some detail around the eye/ear and the fade to solid black from there on. Atm i real just want to see his eye. Also, the bright white post is really distracting and could be easily cloned out.

Third one (chimp) is a bit washed out / lacking contrast for my taste but that might have been what you were going for. Did you use a coloured b&w filter when processing it?

spj

Likes Bikes
Pretty good stuff Peter but since I've assumed you'd like some constructive criticism I'm going to proceed with some :p .

I think the first one (tiger) is tops. You've gone for a pretty dark, moody shot and I think the range of tones is spot on. Plenty of unused space in the blacks but I wouldn't say wasted - subject is nicely accentuated.

Second one (elephant) I think is lacking detail in the shadows too much. Black point is too high. I think the highlights are right but I think it'd be nice to have some detail around the eye/ear and the fade to solid black from there on. Atm i real just want to see his eye. Also, the bright white post is really distracting and could be easily cloned out.

Third one (chimp) is a bit washed out / lacking contrast for my taste but that might have been what you were going for. Did you use a coloured b&w filter when processing it?
Thanks for the crit, definitely the stuff I'm looking for.

I had the same thoughts on the elephant, but I am still learning the ins and outs of post processing, and that bright white post is actually a tusk (at first I thought he had a pvc pipe in his mouth).

The gorilla shot I had similar thoughts about but I loved the composition to much not to share (it is actually uncropped). The filter I used was a lightroom plugin filter under the whoiswolf collection (I think), (I am also hoping that makes sense). But yeah the filter was just called 'ansel adams' or something like that.

Thanks again. And please take a quick look at some of the other shots from the zoo on my flickr (didn't feel like clogging the thread with too many of them).

tu plang

knob
Thanks for the crit, definitely the stuff I'm looking for.

I had the same thoughts on the elephant, but I am still learning the ins and outs of post processing, and that bright white post is actually a tusk (at first I thought he had a pvc pipe in his mouth).

The gorilla shot I had similar thoughts about but I loved the composition to much not to share (it is actually uncropped). The filter I used was a lightroom plugin filter under the whoiswolf collection (I think), (I am also hoping that makes sense). But yeah the filter was just called 'ansel adams' or something like that.

Thanks again. And please take a quick look at some of the other shots from the zoo on my flickr (didn't feel like clogging the thread with too many of them).
Oh damn it. I knew you'd say that haha. Weird tusk!

Yeah ok that does look a bit Ansel-esque now that you mention it. I think it calls for something that pushes the blacks/shadows a bit further. I think a yellow or orange b&w filter (not sure where this lives in lightroom as I use aperture) would be better and then adjust black point and contrast.