The Photo Snob Thread

zac

Likes Dirt
I still shoot film, at the moment just C-41 colour negatives but I have a small stash of (still fresh) Ektachrome for special occasions. I'd love something in medium format but really can't afford it so am currently shooting a Nikormat FTn (meter doesn't work but the clear favourite which I inherited from my grandfather) and a Nikon F5 (awesome beast, especially for sports... and wildlife, and portraits, and street shots, and night shots...). Also, I just finished rolls in a Pentax K1000 and a Diana Mini, and have a Pentax MZ50 and ME Super and a Fujifilm Instax Wide and an Olympus P&S in the cupboard as well.

As for film, I love shooting slides (EBX in particular) but have yet to develop my own... In black and white I like Rollei Pan 25, Ilford HP5+ and XP2-400 and Fuji Acros 100 which I develop myself. If I don't do it at home I give it to Camera House, but I baulk at paying $35 for B&W developing without prints ($25 for mounted slides isn't too bad though)

Hi Snobs,

Since everyone is talking about films, I have for sale a Plustek 7200i film scanner. I don't see the need for it anymore as I work digital.
The scanner itself hasn't had much use, used it for about 300 slide scans and about 10 rolls of 36exp film scans. comes with all software and I know you can buy more newer software from the silverfast website. This is better then a flat bed scanner and cheaper then sending your films off for scanning.
would be asking $250.

Also have a Canon ST-E2 transmitter for sale, hardly used but has been everywhere with me as a back up to my skyports.
$200 ono

and a set of Kenko extension tubes, brought for some reason just never used them.
$100

Pics below and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

S.IMAG0962.jpg
IMAG0963.jpg
IMAG0964.jpg

Ninox

Squid
If anyone's after a near-new Canon 5DMk2 i'm selling one I picked up to use as a second body and have decided to re-sell again. The shutter count is 5800-ish and the body is in top-notch condition. I'm asking $1350.

Here's a couple of shots:

View attachment 279321

View attachment 279322

View attachment 279323

View attachment 279324
If you haven't sold it yet, I can recommend this particular camera model. Just fantastic for lots of different shooting styles from landscape to macro and even some birds. The HD video is absolutely super in this DSLR. Just thought I give you some feedback from a rather experienced wildlife photographer. :)

mitchy_

Llama calmer
If you haven't sold it yet, I can recommend this particular camera model. Just fantastic for lots of different shooting styles from landscape to macro and even some birds. The HD video is absolutely super in this DSLR. Just thought I give you some feedback from a rather experienced wildlife photographer. :)
5D2 doesn't do HD video.

Ninox

Squid
The 5D3 is a much better camera overall. Lucky the 5D2 I use is borrowed from a friend just to film wildlife in HD. I have used the 5D3 many times as well and overall the AF system alone is far more superior to the 5D2. Though the 5D2 is an excellent camera overall if one does not want to shoot action. Big, big RAW files though with stacks of lovely detail.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Yes it does.

While the 5DII does technically shoot in a 1080p format, it's video resolution is actually much much lower with pretty bad detail and a lot of aliasing. The 5DIII is a big improvement over the 5DII in video resolution. A 5DIII is still no match for something like a Panasonic GH3 in video resolution unless you are using the RAW Magic Lantern hack on the 5DIII

Ninox

Squid
While the 5DII does technically shoot in a 1080p format, it's video resolution is actually much much lower with pretty bad detail and a lot of aliasing. The 5DIII is a big improvement over the 5DII in video resolution. A 5DIII is still no match for something like a Panasonic GH3 in video resolution unless you are using the RAW Magic Lantern hack on the 5DIII
I did not mention a 5D2 was better than anything else, glad you know your cameras. .

I am primarily a stills photographer as video takes too long for me to go through etc... a pain in the backside really to edit. The HD video sequences I have shot with a 5D2 of owls at night (with ISO6400 using a 900 lumen torch for video light) or daytime raptors - at lower ISO values - certainly look fine on my 27" Mac. New technology will (hopefully) improve tasks without a doubt, however, in my opinion, that does not mean that older technology is obsolete or crappy. OK, maybe a Nikon D1x is crappy compared to a D3 or D4.... :D Unfortunately I don't know anything about 4/3 system cameras, except I would prefer a full frame (36x24mm) sensor anyday for the dynamic range and other features. My Canon 1D or 5D series' sensor quality is quite good for my line of "work".

Thanks for your input :smile-new:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I did not mention a 5D2 was better than anything else, glad you know your cameras. .

I am primarily a stills photographer as video takes too long for me to go through etc... a pain in the backside really to edit. The HD video sequences I have shot with a 5D2 of owls at night (with ISO6400 using a 900 lumen torch for video light) or daytime raptors - at lower ISO values - certainly look fine on my 27" Mac. New technology will (hopefully) improve tasks without a doubt, however, in my opinion, that does not mean that older technology is obsolete or crappy. OK, maybe a Nikon D1x is crappy compared to a D3 or D4.... :D Unfortunately I don't know anything about 4/3 system cameras, except I would prefer a full frame (36x24mm) sensor anyday for the dynamic range and other features. My Canon 1D or 5D series' sensor quality is quite good for my line of "work".

Thanks for your input :smile-new:
The person who I quoted did mention the 5DII which is why I quoted them.

The 5D's look fantastic in most shooting situations but show them a highly detailed scene or one with fine horizontal detail (eg. brick walls on a wide shot) and they fall apart.

Many thing determine Dynamic Range and sensor size is not really one of them. The Blackmagic cinema camera ($2000) and Pocket Cinema Camera ($1000) have a DR of 13stops and both have a sensor smaller than Micro Four Thirds. While the 5D has a Full Frame sensor it's dynamic range is only around 9 stops when shooting video. With the MagicLantern RAW hack, the DR of the 5D goes up to around 12 stops but you have to shoot RAW video and that has quite a few limitations on the 5D.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't you have been better with APS-C or APS-H than a slow focusing full frame camera, simply for the speed, reach and pixel density?
I think he is talking about video shooting on the 5D. Focus speed is irrelevant for video as the 5D has no Autofocus in video mode.

Also, if it's not clear to others, my previous post was completely regarding video shooting on the 5D. Stills is a different story.

Ninox

Squid
Wouldn't you have been better with APS-C or APS-H than a slow focusing full frame camera, simply for the speed, reach and pixel density?
My 1D cameras are pre HD video sadly and once you go 1D it's hard to go backwards - generally speaking for the build quality - my next will be a 1Dx eventually, which should be as good as a 5D3 for HD video at least if I really need it. :( Reach is irrelevant as I am usually close, plus I have big, very expensive glass. :D BTW the AF sort of works a little for me with video, but manual focus is the way to go.

Fair points about the sensors and DR. I am not a normal video shooting person generally. For someone who shoots little video I was surprised at the quality of the 5D2 to be honest. It is an excellent still shooter for most (except fast action).

If I wanted to just shoot video I would definitely do more research and go for a real HD camera something like a RED thingy my friend uses who is a pro underwater shooter.
http://www.coralseatv.com/ I worked very closely with George on his 2003 Award winning DVD called Beneath southern seas.... :)

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
My 1D cameras are pre HD video sadly and once you go 1D it's hard to go backwards - generally speaking for the build quality - my next will be a 1Dx eventually, which should be as good as a 5D3 for HD video at least if I really need it. :( Reach is irrelevant as I am usually close, plus I have big, very expensive glass. :D BTW the AF sort of works a little for me with video, but manual focus is the way to go.

Fair points about the sensors and DR. I am not a normal video shooting person generally. For someone who shoots little video I was surprised at the quality of the 5D2 to be honest. It is an excellent still shooter for most (except fast action).

If I wanted to just shoot video I would definitely do more research and go for a real HD camera something like a RED thingy my friend uses who is a pro underwater shooter.
http://www.coralseatv.com/ I worked very closely with George on his 2003 Award winning DVD called Beneath southern seas.... :)
But the 1D is not full frame :wink:

.:Alan:.

Likes Dirt
Any one on here know of a surfhousing that is rated to something far deeper than the 10m depth most of them are? or a dive housing thats strong enough to take a bit of a beating in the surf? Im after a housing that i can take diving as well as in the surf. Would like something a bit easier to use than a gopro....

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Any one on here know of a surfhousing that is rated to something far deeper than the 10m depth most of them are? or a dive housing thats strong enough to take a bit of a beating in the surf? Im after a housing that i can take diving as well as in the surf. Would like something a bit easier to use than a gopro....
Alan, not sure how decent the Ikelites go in the surf but rated to 60metres I believe - If you're interested I have a 7D for sale... Talk to me on facebook if you're interested.

On another note: