The Photo Snob Thread

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I bought a Sony RX100 V1 just after they came out, bloody expensive little faarkers now. It got left (missus) on the spare tyre of my 4WD and luckily fell down in to the tyre bracket, she drove around on dirt for about 100km looking for it while supporting me on an Outback race.

The tele lens got a gut full of bull dust and the thing never zoomed the lens out ever again, it stuttered a bit then died, the whole mechanism jammed with dust and dirt. Took great pictures though (when I bothered to take it with me)

For what I do as a regular hack with no interest in photography, a telephone is perfect.

I've just grabbed that RX100 out of a drawer and plugged it in to a charger, maybe I should take it to a camera repair place to see if they can do anything with it. Its only been in the drawer since 2014 :rolleyes:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Ooft, just had a geez at what that is. Do you get much use out of the full-body form factor? I could never be bothered with the size and weight of them. I had Canon 5D II/III’s in the past, and even they were heavy beasties once out bushwalking with a few lenses and a tripod. I tried a a7r II for a bit wihoch was a brilliant sensor wrapped in a horrible (to hold and use) body. And the lenses were actually heavier than the Canon equivalents so I got fed up with it after a bit. Hence I’ll probably end up back in Fuji world again this go for the smaller form factor. Gotta want to take it along with me or it won’t get much use anyway, lol.
Yep

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still bust out the DSLR every now and then. Though must admit the phone does make it too easy these days.

When I was still out of action I took the DSLR out into the bush for a few shots.
Otherwise just a lot of car shots, which are much easier than dealing with challenging light and high speeds.

Screenshot_20231126_215736_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231126_221902_Gallery.jpg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So I capped off what will be a very expensive month by ordering a new mirrorless camera*. My lenses will fit with an adapter but I took the opportunity to survey the opposition and I am still more comfortable with Nikon as a lefty eyed person. I did try. So that brings me to my next issue. None of the cameras I looked at had a built in camera flash. I have actually relied a bit on this as it triggers my Nikon speedlights as slaves and I can place those close to the subject and get much better results. The option was an SB-700 which will work as master but only if on the hotshoe or a Nikon trigger unit to drive my existing speedlights. Both means a fair number of $$$$$$$. Then I spoke with the place I am getting the camera and had a good old talk about non Nikon stuff which I have avoided since getting the D200 last century. Also one of my old speedlights is as old as the D800 and the other is older still so potentially end up in the same kayak with nothing to trigger a new speedlight if I grabbed the SB-700. Now I am leaning towards getting Godox with a hotshoe mounted trigger and two smaller flashes for the same $ as the SB-700 anyway. Full iTTL metering so really losing nothing and get the same flexibility as I now have with two new flashes. Plus the flashes are way cheaper than genuine Nikon and they make some nice studio lights for quite reasonable money. Hmmmm. Decisions. Anyone have any bad things to say about Godox? Web seems very positive.

*TBA when it arrives...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
This is where I learnt how to light a photo.

The Strobist

That's a different light to what they recommended when I first started, and is probably a lower spec to what you're looking at, but for me if they are willing to recommend Godox then that's good enough for me.

You'll have to wait until I get home to find out what I have, but I was pretty impressed by it at the time.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So I capped off what will be a very expensive month by ordering a new mirrorless camera*. My lenses will fit with an adapter but I took the opportunity to survey the opposition and I am still more comfortable with Nikon as a lefty eyed person. I did try. So that brings me to my next issue. None of the cameras I looked at had a built in camera flash. I have actually relied a bit on this as it triggers my Nikon speedlights as slaves and I can place those close to the subject and get much better results. The option was an SB-700 which will work as master but only if on the hotshoe or a Nikon trigger unit to drive my existing speedlights. Both means a fair number of $$$$$$$. Then I spoke with the place I am getting the camera and had a good old talk about non Nikon stuff which I have avoided since getting the D200 last century. Also one of my old speedlights is as old as the D800 and the other is older still so potentially end up in the same kayak with nothing to trigger a new speedlight if I grabbed the SB-700. Now I am leaning towards getting Godox with a hotshoe mounted trigger and two smaller flashes for the same $ as the SB-700 anyway. Full iTTL metering so really losing nothing and get the same flexibility as I now have with two new flashes. Plus the flashes are way cheaper than genuine Nikon and they make some nice studio lights for quite reasonable money. Hmmmm. Decisions. Anyone have any bad things to say about Godox? Web seems very positive.

*TBA when it arrives...
I assume you're talking about something wireless/RF like this?

I had the genuine Canon equivalent a few years back and it was a trillion times better than trying to do strobe-based master and slaves. Being able to easily control flash power and trigger them reliably was a quantum-leap over the line-of-sight (and very occasionally if you get lucky with bounce-flash) optical triggers on earlier Canon gear.

I'm curious - what makes the Nikon's more left-eye friendly than Canon/Sony/Nikon/etc...?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This is where I learnt how to light a photo.

The Strobist

That's a different light to what they recommended when I first started, and is probably a lower spec to what you're looking at, but for me if they are willing to recommend Godox then that's good enough for me.

You'll have to wait until I get home to find out what I have, but I was pretty impressed by it at the time.
Ta

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well I finally went Braless mirrorless. L bracket from Sunwayfoto fits perfectly and is well made and at $80 compared to something like $500 great value.

Haven't played yet. Battery was deadly flat and still charging. Just a single Z mount lens at the moment, the 24-200 all purpose thing and an F mount adapter for my other glass. Bought two Godox TT685iiN speedlights which will trigger my existing Nikon in slave mode and will later grab a wireless trigger when the Nikon dies.
Is a little lighter and smaller than the dslr and much lighter with the Z mount lenses. I know these have a lot of plastic but the lenses are getting great reviews so we will see. Having ordered before the end of 2023 I also get a 24mm Z mount from Nikon. Fun to be had...
The D800 has been excellent and has a huge number of shutter operations. It does play up occasionally but I will keep it as back up. Shoot night stuff on the camera tripod while tracking the Z etc.

beeb

The higher-quality plastic bodied Canon lenses were actually great to use IME.

They can also be handy when shooting in very low temps as they don't cool as quickly as the metal-bodied lenses (which can cause issues with condensation when doing 'wide field' astro shots for example, though maybe not in your climate!).

The Sony mirrorless were a funny thing. While the bodies were a lot lighter than a D-SLR, carrying multiple lenses around actually meant the lit was heavier than an equivalent D-SLR kit as each lens has to incorporate the extra barrely length that the mirror box would normally occupy on a D-SLR. Wasn't an issue with the low or mid range lenses, but the fancy gear are heavy buggers and it compounded pretty quickly (using an adapted Canon TSE 24mm L II as a "walkaround" kit probably didn't help my cause either though!).

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Based on Ken Rockwell's info I will do most walkabout stuff with the 24-200 and just go wide or long from there. I will compare 200s since I have three F mounts in that length. If a Z 12mm is released I will probably grab that and the semi fisheye will sit in the bag. Had a quick test but low light and I will do more tomorrow. Need to tweak factory settings to get things where I like and these are subtly different so much experimentation. I switched noise off completely and then switched it back on to default which is just a subtle click. No idea if you have taken a shot if you have no noise. A quick burst of 30fps and that is lunacy!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have done some test firing and the results are quite interesting.

I have left the Z at factory settings for the moment but my D800 has dynamic range and colour pushed a wee bit. The factory settings are a bit flat and when printed aren't faithful to the eye.

Back to back shots with the D800 and Z using the F mount adapter the semi fisheye and then the 500mm lens showed the Z shooting faster than the DSLR at the same aperture. I know the Z mount is a much larger hole than F but I thought this was a bit odd given that these F mount lenses are going through an adapter and the lens is still the smaller hole. Turns out this is a known thing and that the Z shoots between 1.5 and 3.5 stops faster for any given F mount lens on the adapter compared to a DSLR. So that is a bonus straight up.

Next thing that was interesting is that the cheapo (there is no such thing but it is relative) 24-200 Z mount lens I bought is actually sharper than the 70-200AF-S F mount lens on the DSLR. Tripod shots with remote release so no influence from clumsy hands. Field of view is slightly different too but only noticeable back to back on the computer and even then very small. Depth of field at the same f stop is better and still with 2 stops better shutter speed. Impressive to say the least.

I will tweak the dynamic range settings to where I get the colour ranges I want and try them back to back.

Looks like I can actually reduce the number of lenses I carry. So far the 16mm, the 24-200 and the 200-500 seem likely suspects. I will do some testing with the 60mm macro lens as well. I need to grab a new macro flash as my old old old one exploded a while back and there is no saving it.

beeb

Weird that it shoots 'faster' for the same lens when adapted. The adapter is just a tube and not a "speed booster" (with optics), correct?

I mean the aperture of a lens is a constant, so is exposure time - so it suggests some trickery/dishonesty on the ISO values. Modern day ISO 200 and 400 are so clean, I wonder if the base ISO has jumped up a couple of stops but they didn't want it to read like it in the marketing material... A perk in practical usage, but weird nevertheless.

Light gathering has improved so much now most sensors have moved to a BSI architecture, it's not surprising more light can be gathered/read in the same exposure time.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The adapter has lenses. I haven't looked at the process but it may allow more light into the sensor because of the bigger volume behind the aperture. Having said that both have the same sized sensor though the Z has more pixies. Not really bothered as it is a good thing and I can't be arsed searching.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Tweaked the white balance and some other settings but I might push the colours a bit. Hard to gauge today because the sun is hiding. Changed the autofocus settings as well.

Full frame shot of one of the curlews nesting.

100% crop of the bird.

Full frame of the other half.

100% crop.

The resolution going to 1024 isn't the best and original full sized files are sharper but the autofocus dealt well with the distractions in the second shot. A common complain of the Nikon Z cameras and some other mirrorless cameras is the autofocus.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Tweaked the saturation and colours this morning.

Little bugger watches everything.
Reckon I will leave things as they are until I get a chance to try reds and oranges. New white balance of natural light auto and that is a bit too warm and dulls the greens but will be perfect for sunsets.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That's the stuffs! I am really impressed with the Godox flashes I bought. Theoretically they will trigger my Nikon SB too but after a quick play I haven't managed to get the settings right. This looks a good option to fire the two Godox flashes though.

Edit: looks like a compact (nano) version of the X pro. I was within milliseconds of buying an x pro but didn't because the 685s should/can/will trigger my Nikon flash in slave mode. But I will get a nano.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A bit of an update. I have had the mirrorless Nikon for about 3 months. Due to various circumstances I haven't used it much, mostly weather and not getting away.

While it is very similar to the D800 as far as operation and menus go it is also quite different. I struggled at first to get good consistent focus especially in low light. There are so many options for focusing that it gets confusing. My first astrophotography sessions were awful. Even in full manual I had issues because the lcd adjusts and out of the box what you see is not what you get. Depth of field preview for example limits the change so that the screen still shows a fair shot.

After a multitude of on line tutorials I am getting there. The D800 had the ability to create separate shooting banks but these were clumsy to navigate through and it was easier just to set up the camera for the day or nights shooting. The Z is different. I have assigned a menu button to scroll through the banks and set up normal, action, landscape and astro and my key settings automatically are saved in these banks. I have also followed the trick of one of the tutorials and preselected a number of focusing modes and again can scroll through these with a hot button. The buttons are also easier to navigate to a single function which wasn't possible so much on the D800, it would dump you in the menu and you had to scroll from there.

Overall I am very happy with the camera which is convenient given what the thing cost. I am also happy I went the extra to get the Z9 rather than a Z8 with vertical grip. I do a lot of vertical shooting so a grip is a must now that I am very used to it. The cameras are very very similar but the Z8 and grip is heavier and bigger and even with two EL batteries the life is reduced compared to the single battery in the Z9. It is also nice that the glass is as good as F mount and is cheaper and faster for any given F stop. I will grab a wider lens that I have in a Z mount but the 16 and 17-35 F mount plus adapter work well though the focus is quite slow compared to the Z mount lenses. Probably grab something longer too at some point, the 600 and 800 are decently priced if you don't go for the F2.8 lenses. Oh and the high ISO performance is much better. You can shoot in the thousands and it is easy to clean up whereas with the D800 anything over 1600 started getting very grainy.

Oh and supposedly Nikon will stop developing F mount lenses so what is there (plenty anyway) is where it will stay and manufacturing will slowly ramp down over time.