The Photo Snob Thread

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't go it, purely because it doesn't have any manual settings (from what I read it was "full auto E-TTL"). I agree with you on the huge price of the 430s, but I have been tossing up between the cactus kf36 (vivitar 285HV replacement) and the lumopro lp120. Both are under $130US, and fully manual.

I don't know if anyone here has had hands on experience with either of these units though

saMfish

Likes Dirt
Get the KF36, best starter flash imo. I absolutely love mine, and at such a cheap price it won't matter if it gets run over by someone either.. well.. it won't matter as much as it would if it were a 580EXII.

red_d0g

Likes Dirt

and no use making another post, so here.

how do i get rid of the over exposed light from the petrol bowsers without sacrificing the other lights around the area?

C&C appreciated!

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
Time for a new computer/monitor. My fully sick 'ViewSonic' just isn't cutting it anymore ahha, photos look ok on the camera then I upload them to the computer and they look shit. Thinkiing I might get a Macbook Pro with a 24" display.

BINNED

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Time for a new computer/monitor. My fully sick 'ViewSonic' just isn't cutting it anymore ahha, photos look ok on the camera then I upload them to the computer and they look shit. Thinkiing I might get a Macbook Pro with a 24" display.

BINNED
If you've got the dollars, get nothing less. MacBook Pro + big ass screen = Winner for photography.

Oh, how I envy those of you who rep 20-inch-plus screens!

Drew.

Eats Squid
If you've got the dollars, get nothing less. MacBook Pro + big ass screen = Winner for photography.

Yeah. But then the delemma i have is, either have the portability of the Macbook pro, or go something like the iMac, and have quite a suffiant increase in power for the same/less money.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
First time shooting cars.. Quite fun, and well worth it for the fun of driving between locations.

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Yeah. But then the delemma i have is, either have the portability of the Macbook pro, or go something like the iMac, and have quite a suffiant increase in power for the same/less money.
If you can only afford one computer (as in not a laptop + a desktop), which i'm guessing is what you're looking at, get a MacBook Pro. You can put 4GB of ram in, which is plenty fast, plus it's portable. Not sure what your future plans are for photography, but if you ever did want to shoot professionally, having the ability to take your computer on-location to shoot tethered is well worth it.

You can also pick up 1TB external hard-drives for virtually nothing these days, so extra storage isn't a major issue.

Personally, for a single, do-it-all computer, i'd prefer portability with reasonable power over a lack of portability but shit-loads of power. Think of holidays/travel/work/uni/TAFE/whatever...a laptop just makes sense (to me, anyway).

Just to add, also: My MacBook Pro 15" is three years old now. It has 2GB of ram and still handles my image files easily. I can't imagine what the newer ones can do...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Not too bad - though I think cloning out the flash spots on the front of the car in the second would do wonders.
Yeah, I am well aware of that, just a quick resize and watermark for upload. My computer is running horrendously slow at the moment so even the thought of trying just open photoshop is enough to make me say "mehhhhh".

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Just letting everyone know i've started a new blog. It's live as of tonight.

Although you've already seen a majority of the shots, I needed something to make it interesting, rather than just a single picture.

I'll try update it whenever I shoot anything worthwhile, for all you blog-followers out there.

Enjoy, and welcome to:

http://tristancardewphotography.blogspot.com/

Little T

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't go it, purely because it doesn't have any manual settings (from what I read it was "full auto E-TTL"). I agree with you on the huge price of the 430s, but I have been tossing up between the cactus kf36 (vivitar 285HV replacement) and the lumopro lp120. Both are under $130US, and fully manual.

I don't know if anyone here has had hands on experience with either of these units though
Is there anything wrong with full auto? Obviously you can't change the settings yourself but how often is this needed? I'm just thinking that to learn the auto settings would be helpful, does anyone know of cheap flashes with auto and manual?

Thanks.

wombat

Lives in a hole

BINNED

Big shmigh. 22" has proven to be a nice size for me, even with it's coarser pixel pitch. I suppose a 24" would be nice too, but I'm definately not overly fussed about it.

What I am becoming more fussed about is fucked up colours!
Doing a layout for a little while ago, I thought one of my graphics was all fucked up, since the colours were washed out to buggery. That of course was until I scrolled down the page, moving the graphic to the top of the screen, where it got a good few tones darker. Bloody heap of shit, cheap panels.

Unlike ovadahill I can't ever see myself with an Eizo or NEC for home though, so I've got my sights set on Dell's 22" IPS panel. $440 odd, hoping to see it on another $100 off special; throw in a basic calibrator and I should be done for under $500.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Is there anything wrong with full auto? Obviously you can't change the settings yourself but how often is this needed?
Well the cheap triggers won't do e-ttl, so unless you want to run all your off-cam flashes at full power, all the time, I reckon manual might help.

I've got a cheap Nissin flash that I picked up for $75 off fleabay. It's ok, and does e-ttl auto and manual (although not manual zoom). I got it because I wanted a swivel+tilt flash to use walkabout on camera, but I can't remember using it on e-ttl at all (probably because I have no idea how to use it properly).

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the middle ground of monitors between a $1200 Eizo/NEC and a $400 Viewsonic/Samsung/Dell?? I can't work out why there are no decent 22" monitors in the $500-900.

BTW wombat...the Eizo is only on my wishlist....don't know if I should realisticaly (or logically) get a $1200 monitor for a non-commercial hobby.

wombat

Lives in a hole
What's the middle ground of monitors between a $1200 Eizo/NEC and a $400 Viewsonic/Samsung/Dell?? I can't work out why there are no decent 22" monitors in the $500-900.
There's fuck all. I've been doing some looking, and there's a few OS brands we don't get here, including one called Hazro (I think?) who do some resonably priced IPS panels.

Almost all of the mainstream 22" market is TN though, I think HP make a VA 22", but it's pricey. The Dell eIPS seems to be the pick, otherwise looks at something like the HP 2475, or whatever they call their 24" IPS model.
This is the one I'm looking at, thinking about contacting a dell rep, seeing if there's any chance of a deal closer to the special from a month or so back.