The Photo Snob Thread

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I can't say why I like this photo, been looking at it picking out all the stuff wrong with it, but for some reason I still like it, thought i'd share
I quite like it too. The balance of the pier on the right and boats on the left, the deep blue high and low in the frame, and the distant skyline all adds points of interest.

Definitely post bigger though!

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Smokey ...
Any comments welcome..
The crop is way too loose on the top and way too tight on the bottom. The watermark sits on the bottom edge of the photo, making it look very awkward and the candle looks like it's on too much of a tilt. The watermark doesn't really do much to prove it's yours, nor does it really protect your image from being stolen. May I suggest that you ditch the watermark? That's how I see it at least.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I quite like it too. The balance of the pier on the right and boats on the left, the deep blue high and low in the frame, and the distant skyline all adds points of interest.

Definitely post bigger though!
Ah tristan, the bigger is embarrasing :p, its just completely not sharp, and you can see many more mistakes! I sharpened it up a bit and it got ruined, never-the-less here is the larger version

*EDIT* I fixed it a bit :)

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
A couple of months ago I took my D300 into a camera shop and tried a used version that I was keen on buying. I was impressed, especially for the money. Again, it comes back to that thing about kooks on the internet; for months i'd been reading stuff about how the AF sucked, and then I went and tried it and was blown away. Indoors, in the camera shop, it locked quickly and easily...not a problem. Outdoors was the same. I tried two copies, and one copy (the older of the two) wide open had noticeable chromatic aberrations in high-contrast areas, but the other one was pretty much sweet.

I think it's a great lens, and I would've bought it had I not decided to jump. The used copy I was looking at was $650...
Truth be told, I aspire to the 70-200 f/2.8 VR but finances are probably not going to stretch that far. With other options include the Tamron and Sigma offerings, I think the 80-200 f/2.8 combines better optics and build, at a third party price.

I guess the saving game is back on!

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
I'm stolked to have to caught the moon in this shot, although it doesn't really look like anything unless you view it a lot larger than I posted this. Was the last shot I took with my camera body as it just sold. But my next one is coming!

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Dude second would be rad if we could see the jump!

First go at anything like this...

does it work?

Last edited:

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Hi all, been shooting for abit over a week now. Really enjoying it. Only shooting with a nifty fifty atm, its all I own.

snip

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30724125@N04/

Criticism welcome :)
Really good for your first week shooting mate

Dude second would be rad if we could see the jump!

First go at anything like this...

snip

does it work?
I feel like it's so close, but just missing something. I can't put my finger on it though. Maybe if the burnt match was at an end, or (and I realise how hard this woud be to do, but could look cool) if the burnt match had some smoke rising still..

Other than that, it's a good idea, but I don't really know how to improve it

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Nice one Gluey, Had any time to make any initial impressions?
I only picked it up an hour ago, but I've been playing around with the movie function (as that's what I've bought it for primarily as Dad's also got the 5D) and initially I got scared because the video function only filmed for 3 seconds. This was not what I wanted. Anyway, it's the PHOTO snob thread. The LED display has a shit load better DR and the photos IQ looks pretty damn stunning. As suspected with the 1.6x sensor, it's a little limiting with wider lenses (i.e. 15mm f/2.8 fisheye). It feels very sturdy and the build quality looks great, although the eye piece is a little loose but after looking on the 5D and the old 10D it seems the same. It's quite a heavy body, I like it. Very comfortable to hold and the LCD screen is massive. The operating system is pretty similar to the old 5D and it is pretty simple to use. That's it so far. Will keep you posted.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Any idea on how i can make this better? I dont have a flashes yet :(

And just another random shot while im posting...
G'day mate,

As obvious as it is (and as you said) the first shot would work a lot better with flash. The second shot is a little too front focussed for me and the highlights are a little blown.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited: