The Photo Snob Thread

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have many people here had success applying for media passes (mainly music concerts)? I understand having a portfolio as well as contacts always helps but I would like some tips on what people have said in their emails to receive access. My aim is to get a media pass for Splendour next year. Going to try and shoot every gig I can locally and get on side with some magazines.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi guys, im in need of a little help, about to buy a replacement digital camera, ive been looking into the sony nex as its a very small removable lens set up, though im not restricted to just this model. the minimum requirement is that it does need to take a shot when i push the damn button, no matter the settings i have applied. as my current compact digital camera thinks too damn much, that when it takes the shot the rider has passed and thats if it does actually decide to take a shot. it reminds me of a woman in a shoe store.

im also not restricted to removable lens camera. much like the sony DSCHX100V and the like in different brands. budget is (new) sub 1k second hand sub $800 also suggestions for brands that are not super over priced for the interchangeable lens

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Have many people here had success applying for media passes (mainly music concerts)? I understand having a portfolio as well as contacts always helps but I would like some tips on what people have said in their emails to receive access. My aim is to get a media pass for Splendour next year. Going to try and shoot every gig I can locally and get on side with some magazines.
If you're keen for a media pass for any festivals, get in contact with the guys at UpAllNight.Com.Au. They run a nightlife photography business, but often also extend to festivals and gigs. I applied a while back to be a photographer but realised it really wasn't for me...you might find it works for you though, especially if you're keen to shoot music-based events. Applying simply requires you to send in a sample of your work (preferably of party type scenes), and it's not overly competitive. You'll probably have to do a bit of nightclub photography to earn their trust, but you can make dollars while doing so, and if you outline from the start that you want a Splendour media pass from the start you'll hopefully have the best chance of it happening.

hi guys, im in need of a little help, about to buy a replacement digital camera, ive been looking into the sony nex as its a very small removable lens set up, though im not restricted to just this model. the minimum requirement is that it does need to take a shot when i push the damn button, no matter the settings i have applied. as my current compact digital camera thinks too damn much, that when it takes the shot the rider has passed and thats if it does actually decide to take a shot. it reminds me of a woman in a shoe store.

im also not restricted to removable lens camera. much like the sony DSCHX100V and the like in different brands. budget is (new) sub 1k second hand sub $800 also suggestions for brands that are not super over priced for the interchangeable lens
Canon G12. Enough said. Basically a DSLR in a compact body, for $700.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Lots of pics + a video coming. First time using the 7D & RAW. Learning alot as I go through the editing haha, very time consuming both learning and editing 2 girls at the same time though!

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

I'm obviously not a regular poster in here, but was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Nikon D7000. I currently have a Olympus E540 but it handles noise terribly, and lense options are fairly minimal to the likes of Cannon and Nikon etc. I've had a look around and seen some great reviews for the D7000, but wouldn't mind hearing from you photo snobs.

Thanks,
Robbie

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Hey guys,

I'm obviously not a regular poster in here, but was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Nikon D7000.
It's virtually a D300 in a D90 body. Awesome package - you won't be disappointed.

Only complaint is that it has some compatibility issues with some (older) third party lenses apparently. If you stick to Nikon glass though, you're fine.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those with a profile on Facebook, 2048 pixels on the largest side as opposed to the 600 odd it used to be. Just something to keep in mind when resizing photos. http://www.facebook.com/blog.php?post=432670242130

Everyone should like my facebook page

Let me know if that link works ^

Just posted some portrait shots from a while ago. Any comments would be good.

Alec lighting is really good, horizon is not :p I'm just nitpicking because realistically it doesn't need to be straight all the time.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Haven't posted one for a while,
Took this today near Bowral. Got a few nice portraits of the kids too that I'm pretty happy about.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Nice Craig.

Lots of pics + a video coming. First time using the 7D & RAW. Learning alot as I go through the editing haha, very time consuming both learning and editing 2 girls at the same time though!
Alec, well done man, definitely one of your better shots!

Last edited:

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys! :) got a few more done now, not to much to go. THen onto the video. Shooting a wedding in Byron Bay on Saturday to...

Alec lighting is really good, horizon is not :p I'm just nitpicking because realistically it doesn't need to be straight all the time.
Hahaha, not gonna lie. I did notice it :\

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Cool shot 'the king' !

A throw away from yesterday, but the photos are yet to be for the public eye, so this is a preview, she didnt even know it was being taken and i didn't even look through the view finder haha, just a light test !