The Photo Snob Thread

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I think #2.. The contrast is a little too much in #1 and really, the subject in both cases is plain obvious either way

.:Alan:.

Likes Dirt
littleman 2nd looks best to me, cept for the whakyness on the horizon.

3 of my shots from Stromlo. . . . .

:)

oh and 70-200 is Amazing, so quick and so sharp.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
World Cup shots are up on ze Flickr.

I had a great time taking photos out there today. Poaching pros remote flashes (via CLS) included.:D The look on one photog's face was priceless as he was trying to work out why his flashes kept going off.

Oh and another annoyance was not having a media pass, I've got a heap of otherwise awesome shots with tape going right through the riders face. Arrrghhh, should've worked that out before hand.

Last edited:

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Digressing from the WC photos for a moment, a shot from this afternoon.

I'm not too sure about it, but it kind of tickles my fancy. What do the snobs think.

takai

Eats Squid
Met up with a mate who was up for Worlds on Monday, and since we were both bored before his flight we did a frantic 2hr tour of most of the Canberra "sights" so more cliched (and some not so cliched) photos for your viewing pleasure.

These two are the only ones have had a chance to look at sofar, and the colours may be off as im on battery power at Melbourne airport (and having to deal with crappy internet here).

Enjoy:

NMA Again

Treasury Building

About 8-10 other "sights" to process, but the laptop battery wont hold up for that unless i can find power over in International later.

Chumbo

Likes Dirt
Dont know exactly what that thing in the first shot is takai but i want to ride it!

heres a shot from last week, first roll of Ilford HP5+ B&W film. Demolition in Adelaide CBD.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Nice work Alan.

Different style for you..which is excellent. Keep using the longer lens and you'll produce wonders.

Bowlo

Eats Squid
Alan is yours the IS version or just the regular 70-200 f/2.8? I'm stuck between the f/2.8 non is and the f/4 IS. I've read over the last couple of pages which had some info on it but I still cant make my mind up. Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Alan is yours the IS version or just the regular 70-200 f/2.8? I'm stuck between the f/2.8 non is and the f/4 IS. I've read over the last couple of pages which had some info on it but I still cant make my mind up. Can anybody point me in the right direction please?
Yeah, learn how to take good photos with the gear you've got before dropping $1300+ of daddy's money on a lens you don't need.

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bowlo, I'm having a simular decision to make myself.

From the research I have done + asking here, the F2.8 non-IS is fine for sports, as the faster shutter doesn't rely on IS as much, so that is the lens that I (yah.. me.. not the 'rents) will be buying when I can get my act together.

Leitch (possibly Tristian) did a good summary of boths lens a few pages back, but each ones cons was the others pros, and visa versa.

EDIT: Found it.

The f/4 IS is pegged as the sharpest of the four. It's also smaller and lighter than the f/2.8. But really it's much of a muchness. I had the 2.8 non IS and sold it to buy the 135L which is a magical lens.

Pros:

f/4 IS:

- Small and light
- IS
- Smidgen sharper

f/2.8:

- larger aperture
- better hood design and included tripod collar
- 77mm front element
- Will work with both 1.4x and 2x TCs on xxxD and xxD bodies.

Cons:

f/4 IS:

- Narrow aperture
- No tripod collar and silly bucket hood.
- Poky little front element
- Will not AF with 2x TC on xxxD or xxD bodies

f/2.8:

- Heavier and bigger (significantly)
- Not quite as sharp
- No IS.

Last edited:

wrongie

Likes Dirt
Dont know exactly what that thing in the first shot is takai but i want to ride it!

heres a shot from last week, first roll of Ilford HP5+ B&W film. Demolition in Adelaide CBD.

When I saw this thing in Canberra mate, the first thing I thought was how stoked you'd be on it...

Hot shot btw. Love the rubble.