The Photo Snob Thread

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
that's around the figure i would be happy with from them. I don't give away my gig photos for free anymore. Photo credits are for chumps when it comes to live music. Night club shots should be different to take, I'll actually be able to get the flash out for once.

It's good to hear someone else reinforce that voice in my head saying "don't do it for free". In the morning, it will be time to put my business face on. Should be interesting to see what comes of this

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think its probably because his right hand (photo left) is blocking the light from the flash, creating a shadow over his bars at the point where you took the photo. Since it isn't in the light of the flash, it will turn out blurry as he moves across the frame;)
I like this..

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I'm stuck in a bit of a pickle. I have done some volunteer stuff shooting gigs for the uni's clubs and societies lately, but was just recommended by the girl who runs clubs and societies to an events coordinator organising a big party for the arts faculty, wanting me to shoot the nights festivities.

I don't know if it's paying (haven't asked yet) and don't know what to do if it isn't. If it's not paying, it could still be a great leg in the door for the faculty to use me again, paid in future, and would also be a good opportunity to get known with the bar the party's at, and possibly get work there in the future...

Will have to play my cards well for this one. Anyone got thoughts on the situation?
Or.....hit them up like Tristan said, and if they don't want to pay you, tell them you'll do this one for free (Or a discounted price) on the proviso that the next time they use you it will be paid work. Uni's love wasting money! I doubt they'll have a problem paying you!

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Fassa Party? If so, I might be there- I'll look out for you.
Yep, Fassa party. I'll let you know if i take the gig or not.

Or.....hit them up like Tristan said, and if they don't want to pay you, tell them you'll do this one for free (Or a discounted price) on the proviso that the next time they use you it will be paid work. Uni's love wasting money! I doubt they'll have a problem paying you!
Sounds like a plan. Should I be asking them what they plan on paying me, or should I throw out a number first? I'm a bit average at the business side of this

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few from London, the aircraft ones i'm not overly happy with, it was just hard to get the shot looking right shooting directly into the sun. More to come, just so many shots to process its brutally overwhelming. I'll try to make the next ones a bit better :p

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Sounds like a plan. Should I be asking them what they plan on paying me, or should I throw out a number first? I'm a bit average at the business side of this
Maybe Tris or someone else is better informed than me on this topic, but I'd say something along the lines of "my fee's for a gig like this are very reasonable, especially for the quality of the images I take!":D

Drew.

Eats Squid
2x umbrellas with light stands arrived, as well as reflective umbrella, but i need another light stand, anyone have one theyre willing to sell??

I also brought a Holga, should be fun!:D

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I'm stuck in a bit of a pickle. I have done some volunteer stuff shooting gigs for the uni's clubs and societies lately, but was just recommended by the girl who runs clubs and societies to an events coordinator organising a big party for the arts faculty, wanting me to shoot the nights festivities.

I don't know if it's paying (haven't asked yet) and don't know what to do if it isn't. If it's not paying, it could still be a great leg in the door for the faculty to use me again, paid in future, and would also be a good opportunity to get known with the bar the party's at, and possibly get work there in the future...

Will have to play my cards well for this one. Anyone got thoughts on the situation?
Trust me, if you offer your services for free once, youve got next-to-no-chance of getting paid in the future. I know there are exceptions to this rule (as there are with everything), but charge what you think you're worth. In freelance industries, giving your work away for free out of a promise of paid work later seldom works.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
You're going to have to weight this one up for yourself regarding the possibility of any future paid work, however generally and professionally-speaking:

"If you're good at something, never do it for free!"

syko

Likes Dirt
As i said in my earlier post i would put more pictures up from Bali.

So here they are.

C&C always welcome.

1. Inside a temple just outside the Ubud markets.

2. Garbage removal Bali style.

3. A wedding we watched on the beach in Sanur.

4. WC anyone? Ubud markets again.

5. A school kid at a remote village we went to to watch a mass screening for cataract.

6. Men waiting in line to get their eyes checked.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Funny you should mention that actually, I just sent off a 'quote' to a friend, hopefully I'll be shooting an event for the company she works for later next month. I wasn't really sure what to charge either, so I did some looking around to see what the go was.

I did find some interesting discussions on how to price for freelance work, but most suggested that to do it properly you needed a fair idea of what your actual business expenses were. Personally, I found that a bit hard because as a hobby 'tog, I know I'd have my gear regardless of whether I was getting paid or not, and I don't really expect much wear and tear from this event.

Long story short, I figured out the time involved for the job (shoot+process), figured out my costs (transport/parking, media) and decided what I thought was a fair rate per hour. Used the hourly rate to figure out the base cost, added on expenses and came up with a total. Obviously I didn't pick an hourly rate that would be the norm for a seasoned pro, because I don't think that's fair, but I'll say my quote was a fair bit more than the $150 mentioned before (I'm happy to hand over high res images though, and no charge for prints or anything, but it is kind of for a friend too).

Of course, this isn't to say that they'll accept my quote, but hopefully they will. And with that in mind, anybody want to lend me a Canon body for a night in November?:p